Fender Curt Cobain Mustang

Nocaster_

Anybody have any experience with this guitar? I was thinking of maybe getting it - there is a good offer on one, costs about the same as a Mexican Strat. But I have no experience with short scale guitars.

Normally I prefer classic guitars (I want to get a Baja Telecaster), but this one is just so much cheaper than its normal price, especially considering it's made in Japan.

Any thoughts?

And yes, I realize i misspelled his name, its Kurt not Curt. I suck with names  ^_^

http://www.fender.com/series/artist/kurt-cobain-mustang-rosewood-fingerboard-dark-lake-placid-blue-with-stripe/

I personally don't like the Mustang body shape, but it's a nice playing guitar.

If you've found one for a similar price to a MIM Strat, be very careful to verify that it's in fact genuine.  They sell new for about $1100-1200 here in Canada.  MIM Strats are $500-650 new.  There are a lot of fake KC Mustangs and Jaguars out there.

On the used market the price fluctuates depending on region and how popular Nirvana is there, as well as how motivated the seller is to move it.  So just be careful to make sure it's genuine, and to pay fair value.  Keep in mind that most of the money you are paying (especially when buying brand new) is for Kurt's name and reputation.

Also, if you're used to playing the regular 25.5" scale, you may have trouble converting to a 24" scale length at first.  You won't have as much space for your fingers and your fret hand movements will need some time to adjust.  But if you have small hands like me (and like Kurt) then you may like the scale length.

• Like 1

Thanks Wepeel, I appreciate the advice. I like Nirvana (who doesn't), but that's not why I wanted to buy this guitar. I just want something new and different to my Les Paul and Strat, but yet something classic.

My fingers are actually pretty long, but I prefer the shorter scale of a Les Paul.

I probably won't get this guitar, I think it's too big of a risk, will probably get something more traditional instead, like a Telecaster.