Rocksmith to Guitar Pro exporter (v0.9.9 released, now with Mac support and GUI!)

Maybe I've got something else to add to your list:

I've noticed that in a lot of converted songs "dead notes" are all over the place, where I think they should be muted notes instead.

Here is one example:

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/given-up-r746

There are both palm mutes and dead notes in the gp5 file, but I think in Rocksmith those dead notes are meant to be muted as well.

I cannot really tell the difference between frethand mute and palm mute ingame, but might it be possible that frethand mutes are treated as dead notes in your conversion (or similar?)

The problem is that you cannot tell the fret you are supposed to play on when you look at dead notes in the TuxGuitar TAB notation.

Also: I do not think there are dead notes in any official content (at least from what I've seen so far). I only played one CDLC with something that looked like a dead note... I spend the morning searching for the file, but I don't remember which song it was.

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

• Administrator

You can't tell which note you should hand mute in GP5 either but there's always an obivous solution while you play it (in Bleed It Out you simply keep the chord shape and just handmute or not the chord).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I might be completely wrong about that, but to my understanding, Rocksmith's fret hand mutes are just dead notes. In fact, in the Guitar Pro .gpx format, the corresponding attribute for dead notes is even called "muted". They also do occur in official content, e.g. Hotei's "Battle Without Honor" has one or two, and Rocksmith 1 songs like Blur's "Song 2" or Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law" have them, as well. In those instances, they are very clearly meant as dead notes. If they appear in CDLC, and you think they should be palm-muted instead, then that might be a mistake in the CDLC?

In tab and standard notation you don't usually give an explicit fret to mute at, because imho dead notes are primarily a rhythmic device, and the alteration in sound between different muting positions is normally negligible. In both .gpx and .gp5 I can and do actually give a specific fret for the dead notes, it's just not displayed. Funnily, though, I believe that at least Guitar Pro 6 with RSE output does actually take the fret position into account when sounding dead notes - they sound slightly different depending on the fret :)

Either way, I don't think there is any other way to map fret hand mutes to Guitar Pro.

Rocksmith to Guitar Pro exporter: http://www.rocksmithtotab.de

Ok thanks guys I get it... fret hand mutes and dead notes are just different names for basically the same thing.

You can't tell which note you should hand mute in GP5 either but there's always an obivous solution while you play it (in Bleed It Out you simply keep the chord shape and just handmute or not the chord).

Sometimes (Valentine's Day by Linkin Park for example) there are changes of fret position while you keep playing fret hand muted = dead chords.

But that is a problem of the TAB notation, and not Rocksmith or the converter, alright...

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Dead note are X on GP and muted notes are P.M. notation

Take a look at my Workshop. You'll find which song I plan to create someday.

Please leave constructive feedback, it helps me creating better customs !

Please don't thanks with comment but with the button !

As far as

In both .gpx and .gp5 I can and do actually give a specific fret for the dead notes, it's just not displayed

Not in tab view but if you add in GP5 the fretboard view you can see the chord shape/fingering of what is fret hand muted. Its like in EOF, on the main view you only see the X but when you hit N you can see the notes.

You will notice that I keep coming with less relevant ideas, but that's only because the program is working so good.

Since quite a while charters have the possibilty to write their name as "package author" into the psarc file. I have always wondered what this is good for, because there is no way for users to access that value.

Now I don't know if the gp5 file properties are handled the same in Guitar Pro, but in TuxGuitar they contain Song Title, Artist, Album and e.g. "Tab Creator".

The latter is where you could parse the "package author" from the psarc file, if possible!

Moreover: When I print the notes from TuxGuitar, the page header consists of the Song Title, the instrument, and (for whatever reason) not the artist name, but instead the value of the property "Author".

So if you could parse the artist name into the "Author" field as well, then this would look way prettier. :-)

Edit: I don't know if the Toolkit actually saves the version number inside the package, or if it is only used to create the psarc file name... but if the version number is part of the package, you could write that into the "Comments" property. I imagine myself having a collection of the gp5 files of all my favourite CDLCs and this will be easier to manage if I can compare the version numbers of the gp5s and psarcs.

• Administrator

Yes in gp file you can add song title/artist/ etc. tux guitar is just an open source version of guitar pro, i don't know exactly for what reason they did Tux guitar (for a free legal guitar pro version?) but they basically have all the same thing inside between gp5 and tuxguitar.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Alright, time for a new release: https://github.com/fholger/RocksmithToTab/releases

This release focuses purely on fixing known bugs, so there are no new features or usability improvements. As such, it may be a little more boring than previous releases, but I think it's an important release, nonetheless. It should give considerably cleaner results. For example, in Rocksmith's main songs.psarc and in all RS1 arrangements, there are no more complaints about unhandled note durations or any other error. Test for yourselves, and let me know of any bugs that I have missed :)

Now, if any of you could help me "advertise" the exporter, I'd really appreciate it, as my ongoing refusal of social media means I have a fairly limited reach. So far, it can't even be found with Google :)

• Like 1

I found your wiki page BatFileTricks and tried the BatchConvert.bat

Then I changed the code so that you don't need any comand line input to start it. Instead, now a double click on the BatchConvert.bat is all you need (because Windows users don't like command line inputs :-D)

It will also convert the retail songs :-)

So for anyone who is interested, just create a txt file in the folder of the RocksmithToTab.exe, name it e.g. "BatchConvert.bat" and paste the following code. Don't forget to change the paths.

Then double click the file :-)

title RocksmithToTab Batch-Convert

REM Define your paths:
set RS_PATH=D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rocksmith2014
set GP5_PATH="D:\GP5 Sammlung"

REM Convert all files in the DLC folder:
for /r %RS_PATH%\dlc %%f IN (*.psarc) do (
  RocksmithToTab.exe -o %GP5_PATH% %%f
)

REM Convert retail songs:
RocksmithToTab.exe %RS_PATH%\songs.psarc -o %GP5_PATH%
  • Like 1

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

I released another small update. It should finally fix missing frethand mutes: https://github.com/fholger/RocksmithToTab/releases/tag/v0.9.6

@raynebc: I've added an --xml parameter. This will switch to processing xml arrangements, instead. You can supply any number of input files, and they will be put into a single tab file. Or into separate ones, if you also specify the -t option.

• Like 2

If you just call it without any parameters, it will display its help text with all the parameters. I've also included the help text in the readme on the project page: https://github.com/fholger/RocksmithToTab

If you enable --xml, then t,d,o,f should still function, the rest are ignored.

• Developer

@@MadMaxx, now package version number stored inside toolkit.version (with author and toolkit version) so you can parse that file and get it (author by default is and version is 1)

I get this one to work with my NET 4.0. Tool works great, nice conversion ratio, annoying sustains catched sometimes for chords(after you import back to EOF) but that looks great in GP/tuxguitar. Thank you :)

@Alex360  please share secret to get this to build in NET40.  I know I have to change all references from NET45 to NET40 and remove all *.config.  Remaining problem is with StreamReader, StreamWriter.  Thanks

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Developer

@@Alex360

Many thanks.  I converted code to VS2010 and it works fine now.  I see your secret with MemoryStream and StreamWriter.  You rock.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

New version v0.9.6.5 is out: https://github.com/fholger/RocksmithToTab/releases

This version adds support for the Mac and should now be fully functional under OSX. You'll need to install the Mono runtime, if you haven't already. Details are available in the wiki: https://github.com/fholger/RocksmithToTab/wiki/MacUserGuide

I've also retargeted the project to .Net 4.0, because in the process of supporting Mac, I had to implement some changes on how the psarc is handled. That got rid of my previous need for NET45 functionality.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy