Rocksmith won't launch

Vlowman

Question

Calling all kind-hearted computer genius - I could sure use your help!

Out of nowhere, both the original and 2014 version of the game (both purchased through Steam) are refusing to launch, having run just fine on my pretty new laptop for months.  :(

Well, I say that - sometimes they do launch, but 80% of the time I get about two seconds of the startup screen before it cuts outs; replaced by a 'Rocksmith2014.exe has stopped working' message.

Then I hit google and follow various steps, and sometimes I get lucky and it briefly works - but the problem always comes back within hours, or even minutes. :angry:

THings Ive tried:

Deleting all the CDLC that I'd installed since the problem started, but that didn't help.

Deleting a file called 'ClientRegistry.blob' from the steam programme files (it seems a new one reappears every time you start a game).

Updating graphics and sound drivers.

Running  the 'verify cache' option from within steam and letting it repair any files it needed to.

Running the game with steam online and offline.

Nothing seems to 100% work - can anyone solve this mystery?! Help me, I beg of you!

Thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

Have you tried uninstalling Steam and RS (completely deleting all RS files) and reinstalling?

What other changes (other than those made to try and solve your problem) have you made on your laptop recently?  Any other software you've installed?

Hi Wepeel,

I have not tried those steps because they seem kinda drastic and I guess I'm a bit worried about losing my progress. I guess if I knew how to avoid that I wouldn't mind trying...

I haven't made any other changes to my laptop at all - I don't even remember any signs that it had an automatic windows updates either. It really did start happening out of the blue!

Hi Wepeel,

I have not tried those steps because they seem kinda drastic and I guess I'm a bit worried about losing my progress. I guess if I knew how to avoid that I wouldn't mind trying...

I haven't made any other changes to my laptop at all - I don't even remember any signs that it had an automatic windows updates either. It really did start happening out of the blue!

You can back up your save file manually, and Steam also backs it up automatically when you're in online mode (provided you have the cloud option enabled in the Steam settings).  So you can delete the entire Steam and RS directory and get your progress back once you re-install.

I'm a Mac user so I don't know the exact folder location for the Steam files off the top of my head, but search the forum here for a thread about backing up your save file and you can find instructions there.

You can back up your save file manually, and Steam also backs it up automatically when you're in online mode (provided you have the cloud option enabled in the Steam settings).  So you can delete the entire Steam and RS directory and get your progress back once you re-install.

I'm a Mac user so I don't know the exact folder location for the Steam files off the top of my head, but search the forum here for a thread about backing up your save file and you can find instructions there.

I guess that makes me a little less nervous about it - what a ball-ache though!

Weird development - I was wondering why it kept going from working to not working, and though a process of experimentation have deduced that once it's working, it will launch fine every time - until I actually play a song! After doing that, if I close it down, it's not opening again until I do at least several of those steps I mentioned in my first post.

So it's almost as if the act of saving my progress is killing it's ability to launch.

Is that a helpful clue to any tech-savy people out there?

Weird development - I was wondering why it kept going from working to not working, and though a process of experimentation have deduced that once it's working, it will launch fine every time - until I actually play a song! After doing that, if I close it down, it's not opening again until I do at least several of those steps I mentioned in my first post.

So it's almost as if the act of saving my progress is killing it's ability to launch.

Is that a helpful clue to any tech-savy people out there?

Actually, my new theory was a red herring. It just started working again 'for no reason'.... It's so random.... Thoughts most welcome!

I don't suppose anyone else has any ideas about this? 

It really does seem entirely random as to when Rocksmith will launch and when it won't. So damn frustrating...

I'm loathed to reinstall steam and game because the internet just seems full of people who try that when faced with a similar problem, but it doesn't help - as if the problem lies deeper (I dunno maybe in the Registry...?)

I guess I can take a ticket at Ubisoft, but I've heard they don't like to help those with any traces of CDLC and I'm not sure I know how to completely hide it!

usually when windows closes a program, there's a log-entry in the "event viewer"

if you open this application (just use windows search for "event viewer"), then go to "windows logs" - "applications" and search for the crash of RS.. maybe the output there can provide a bit more information on why this has happened (i.e. the faulty module).

even if this doesn't help you/us to find the cause, it will possibly help ubisoft..

usually when windows closes a program, there's a log-entry in the "event viewer"

Yeah, cheers mate (see you do give a f-!) - I did find that and sent it to Ubisoft. I'm not hopeful though - I know they're just gonna tell me to reinstall everything without really knowing if that will actually help :huh:  I really hate computers sometimes!

Well, just call me an accidental genius - I worked out what was causing the failure to launch. I have no idea why, but it is having the real tone cable plugged in before starting the game that is suddenly an issue. Start the game, then plug in - no problem!

I thought I should post the resolution just in case it becomes helpful to anyone else...