What is the most underrated band(s)?

Liquidlizard

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

Sucessfull but though massively underrated:

White Zombie - give it a shot ( Black sunshine or anything... )

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much only listen to Spotify so I'm sort of out of the loop on what's rated vs underrated.  A few bands that I'm surprised more folks don't seem to listen to are: We Were Promised Jetpacks, Kvelertak, and The Kooks.  WWPJ is just solid straight forward rock.  Kvelertak is great mixture of rock metal and they do a great job of paying homage to other bands.  The Kooks just make great, simple pop songs.  

Young Fathers are a very underrated group

Awesome song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChfQyJN9ow

also baroness is amazing

and USA out of Vietnam

also Edge of sanity

These are pretty underrated / over shadowed by their contemporaries.

• Administrator

wow, alot of bands already listed make it to my favorites list.

but underrated? i'm not sure I would have wanted them to make it to the mainstream. imagine everyone being into bands like the Cult, sisters of mercy, nick cave etc. that would have ruined it for me.

Why other people opinions matter in your own appreciation of music? The fact that you like it or not should not be dictated by others opinion about it...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

wow, alot of bands already listed make it to my favorites list.

but underrated? i'm not sure I would have wanted them to make it to the mainstream. imagine everyone being into bands like the Cult, sisters of mercy, nick cave etc. that would have ruined it for me.

Why other people opinions matter in your own appreciation of music? The fact that you like it or not should not be dictated by others opinion about it...

because the mainstream have pretty shit tastes in music, hence groups like spice girls,nsync, michael bolton, and shows like idol, popstars, the voice and anyone who has ever been on shows of the like. examples of  pandering to the mainstream.

If that mainstream started to like the same music tastes as me I would have to reconsider my taste in music completely.

I think it's similar to country music. Where in the US country artists especially the more modern ones like Brantley Gilbert, Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, etc will sell out huge stadiums. But they usually won't even tour in Europe, and if they did probably would only play small venues. 

Sure maybe you've got some fans of American country music in Germany or Austria but I'd doubt it's very much. ;)

I think a lot of 80s rock bands (especially Melodirock) that went over "Big in Japan" were underrated in much of the rest of the world like Scorpions, Mr. Big, Night Ranger and Toto.

Though I think the most underrated band of the last 5 years is either Brother Firetribe. All of their albums are great! Diamond in the Firepit was a great surprise this year, probably in my top 5 albums of 2014.

Bands that fit into the symphonic metal genre such as Nightwish and Within Temptation.  I say this because it seems like I can't talk to anybody about these bands without getting a strange look because they've never heard of them.

NIghtwish is HUGE in Scandinavia, and Within Temptation is also a well known band here.

Yeah but I wish these bands would be well known in America.  I honestly believe these bands could sell out 10,000 seat arenas over here but they end up playing in small venues.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

If you have to list all the band that you won't hear on FM radio. You're not finished (all experimental and metal aren't really represented on radio.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A few in metal that I've noticed (and done some charting for, so I'm probably a bit biased, but I believe that these are truly great bands that deserve more recognition):

Coroner, who are widely considered to be one of the best and most innovative thrash bands of the late '80s and early '90s. More technical than most, but loads of fun to play. Their top albums are rated as the #12, #14, and #44 thrash albums of all time on rateyourmusic, and around or over 90% on metal-archives. They've been inactive for a while, so they seem to be relatively forgotten after the 20+ years mostly off people's radar.

Enslaved, one of the best and most consistently awesome metal bands that I know of. Hard to pin down a genre, but their style is varyingly near black metal, progressive metal, and viking metal, and might call them something near "black metal Opeth", at least on some of their releases. Their top albums are rated #23, #27, #31, #40, and #79 on the black metal page of rateyourmusic, and #29, #36, #47, #48, and #82 on the progressive metal page of rateyourmusic, and also viewed quite favorably on metal-archives.

And there are a few others where I'd call their reception on here quite underwhelming, such as Disillusion and Ne Obliviscaris (both of which would probably also be worth checking out for fans of Opeth), but both of those are relatively underground metal acts, so I'm not really too surprised.

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...