Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Announcements:

October donation goal is up! click here to donate.

Join us on Discord | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon | Merch | Volunteer | Newsletter Issue 11 (Sept) | Interview with Rodman (Championship)
Scheduled Website Maintenance 3:00 PM-6:00 PM 10/16/19

Photo

Latest EOF releases (8-21-2019)

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
2576 replies to this topic

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• Rocksmith Custom Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts
  • 765 thanks

Any developers opposed to me relaxing EOF's restrictions to allow (printable) extended ASCII characters for Rocksmith lyrics?

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • 318 thanks

@raynebc,

Extended ASCII characters work fine for the song informations (artist, album and title) and the lyrics.

The only issue I remember is the fact that they don't have to be used in the file path (path and file name).

Offline   iminashi

iminashi

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • 60 thanks

This is the default font for the lyrics: http://i.imgur.com/jdTyZdK.png

So the characters that can be used are:

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~¡¢¥¦§¨ª«°²³´¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÎÏÑÒÓÔÖØÙÚÛÜÞßàáâäåæçèéêëìíîïñòóôöøùúûüŒœŠšž„…€™␀★➨

Offline   albatross213

albatross213

Guitar God

• 2,786 posts
  • 443 thanks

Donator

@iminashi - Would you expect this to be relevant for the toolkit develepors as well (regarding what can and can't be put into the Artist, Song title, and other similar slots)? If so, it might be worth bringing this to their attention.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Offline   iminashi

iminashi

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • 60 thanks

The artist and title fields use a different font which allows for some more extended characters to be used compared to the lyrics font. (See this thread).

Offline   cozy1

cozy1

Master Peon

• Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • 206 thanks

Any developers opposed to me relaxing EOF's restrictions to allow (printable) extended ASCII characters for Rocksmith lyrics?

I'd say, show me an ODLC that uses extended characters before considering adding them to lyrics.  Toolkit and EOF have been rock solid since we adopted ODLC character standards.  :plus1:

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,885 posts
  • 765 thanks

I think that's a reasonable threshold.  I skimmed through the list of artist and song names, but didn't really find much:

Accented e characters in artist name in-game

Umlauts in artist name in-game

Umlaut in song name in-game, but not in the displayed lyrics when "Uberlin" is sung (at about 5:23).  I couldn't immediately find any official Rocksmith songs with accented characters in the lyrics.

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • 318 thanks

@cozy1,

I'am french, and I have made more than 20 CDLCs with french accented characters since Rocksmith day 1 (song title, artist name and lyrics), and I have never encountered any issues with them ...

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,885 posts
  • 765 thanks

The problem is that unless it can be shown that official songs use these characters, it's not a safe assumption that the game is designed to use them properly, and crashes (in the past deemed to be associated with using special characters) may be harder to diagnose.  Even though the font set posted above includes capital U with an umlaut, official DLC authors avoided using that character in the lyrics of the song Uberlin when it would have been appropriate.  This may have been a mistake or there may have been a reason for it.

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • 318 thanks

Maybe you could add a new option in EOF "preferences" to allow users to use these extended characters at their own risk ?

Offline   iminashi

iminashi

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • 60 thanks

"A Tout Le Monde" uses À in the lyrics (but not in the song title).

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • 318 thanks

Thank you @iminashi,

These few words in french in this Megadeth official DLC is the evidence that Ubisoft already used them !

So, now, there is no reason to prevent us to add them in our songs  :D

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,885 posts
  • 765 thanks

Sounds like the official chart authors are inconsistent.  I know your screen capture showed that the custom was able to have lyrics with special characters, but I thought that the toolkit was also filtering out such characters in some instances?  I want to check if this is the case, because otherwise it could cancel out any new preference in EOF to allow extended ASCII.

Offline   cozy1

cozy1

Master Peon

• Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • 206 thanks

The problem is that unless it can be shown that official songs use these characters, it's not a safe assumption that the game is designed to use them properly, and crashes (in the past deemed to be associated with using special characters) may be harder to diagnose.  Even though the font set posted above includes capital U with an umlaut, official DLC authors avoided using that character in the lyrics of the song Uberlin when it would have been appropriate.  This may have been a mistake or there may have been a reason for it.

@raynebc  I could not agree more.  If it is not in ODLC it does not belong in CDLC.  @Chlipoini  why would you want to introduce CDLC that are not compliant with ODLC standards (rhetorical)? 

Oh, and if someone says, "because I can" they owe me $10 bucks.  Ok.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,885 posts
  • 765 thanks

The above posts have some limited examples of accented characters (in artist names, song names and lyrics) in official charts.  If there were more ODLC in foreign languages we'd probably see more examples, but at this point it's hard to tell exactly how supported extended ASCII is by the game before the breaking point is reached and the game crashes.

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • 318 thanks

@Chlipoini  why would you want to introduce CDLC that are not compliant with ODLC standards (rhetorical)? 

I want to use extended characters because Ubisoft uses them in their DLCs (artist name, song title and lyrics).

The evidences of such use by Ubisoft have been given in the previous posts ...

If I follow your rule, I would forbid the existence of CDLCs that :

- doesn't have a correct BPM and Time Signature

- doesn't well sync the notes with the rhythm

- doesn't use DD

- ... and so on ...

simply because these bad usages are not in ODLCs

Offline   iminashi

iminashi

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • 60 thanks

Completely forgot about "Gobbledigook". It uses: Þ ú æ í á Ó ó ö ð.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   Alex360

Alex360

Guitar God

• 2,494 posts
  • 345 thanks

They also use japanese kanji in japanese version so all issues is about special characters, nothing more, right?
just stick with json specs and so on?

Offline   cozy1

cozy1

Master Peon

• Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • 206 thanks

@Chlipoini "The evidences of such use by Ubisoft have been given in the previous posts"  Please provide the links.

Thanks to @iminashi and others, the ODLC character standards were studied ad nauseam and implemented here.  I  don't really care to revisit this, but I am more than willing to if someone can pull together and provide a summary list of the ODLC (see format below) along with the special characters that are used in those ODLC so that the character standard used by the toolkit and EOF can be revised as needed.  Since ODLC character standards and validation have been implemented by toolkit and EOF, we have seen a significant decrease in CDLC crashers and jammers.

Song artist, title and album names already allow some special character usage based on the previous study of ODLC.  I support allowing new special characters if there is evidence of usage in ODLC.

ODLC Name:

Special Characters Used in Lyrics:

Special Characters Used in Artist, Title, Album Name:

Special Characters Used in Sortable Artist, Title, Album Name: 

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • 318 thanks

ODLC Name : Megadeth - À Tout le Monde

Special Characters Used in Lyrics : À

Special Characters Used in TitleÀ

ODLC Name : Sigur Rós - Gobbledigook

Special Characters Used in LyricsÞ ú æ í á Ó ó ö ð

ODLC Name : Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil