Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Next month donation goal is now up! http://customsforge.com/donate/goal-93-july-donation-goal/

Photo

Rocksmith friendly Laptops

laptop rs2014

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Offline   smirocsmo

smirocsmo

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 710 thanks
  • LocationPeace&Love
  • Rocksmith:Steam
good to know :D :D thanks
:) my 140 Customs + Workshop are here:
http://customsforge....dated-december/

Offline   destined45

destined45

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

I have an MSI GT 60-0NC with an Nvidia GTX 670M gpu + Integrated intel HD graphics 4400 and I must say with the discrete gpu It runs buttery smooth at max settings which costs $1k+ which it should but switching to integrated graphics (which most laptops do have especially the cheap ones) I have to set the resolution to 1366 x 720 and lower some more settings to obtain playable framerates (60 FPS is a MUST for me especially this is a rhythm game, below that it's pretty unbearable for me especially when it affects responsiveness and latency) ^ this btw can be bought with a laptop priced as low as 400 bucks or even low

Offline   Nocaster_

Nocaster_

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • 1 thanks

I recently sold my desktop and got a gaming laptop - ASUS G750. I bought it second hand for 750€. It has Intel i7, nVidia GTX770m with 2GB of VRAM, 8GB of DDR3 (with 2 free slots), 256 GB SSD and 1TB 7200rpm hard drives.

Needless to say this laptop is a BEAST! I played Assassin's Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty Ghosts either on ultra or high settings. They run like a charm. As for Rocksmith, it looks so smooth on the matte 17" display. 

The only problem I have is that Rocksmith keeps complaining that the guitar volume is really low and the cable is not configured properly. Maybe cause all ports are USB 3.0... I have no idea why, but the game still works.

So if you have that kind of money (and I think it's a bargain considering all you get), it's an amazing laptop. And its so quiet too, never gets hot and has incredible back-lit keyboard. I have been using computers for 14 years, but this is by far my best one.

Just keep in mind that it's not exactly small or light, but you get used to it.

Offline   Wepeel

Wepeel

International Mac Help Desk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • 132 thanks

The only problem I have is that Rocksmith keeps complaining that the guitar volume is really low and the cable is not configured properly. Maybe cause all ports are USB 3.0... I have no idea why, but the game still works.

What version of the real tone cable do you have?  The original one that came with the old Rocksmith, or the newer version that came with later editions of RS2014?

The original cable doesn't work well (and sometimes not at all) with USB 3.0 ports.  There are a few work arounds though.  The most simple one is to buy a USB 2.0 hub and plug that into the USB 3.0 port, and then the real tone cable into the hub.

You should also check to see if you have the latest version of your BIOS.  Some older PC's need newer updates to make USB 3.0 ports play nicely with older USB 2.0 peripherals.   As a last resort you can also try disabling the xHCI option in your BIOS, which is the USB 3.0 controller.

Also, before doing any of the above, have you calibrated your guitar inside RS?  You get asked to do it the very first time you play, but you can also do it at any time while tuning.  Just press "enter" while in the tuner mode.  You should calibrate your guitar inside RS every time you switch guitars (if you play with more than one).  You can also increase the gain setting in the options menu.

Offline   Nocaster_

Nocaster_

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • 1 thanks

What version of the real tone cable do you have?  The original one that came with the old Rocksmith, or the newer version that came with later editions of RS2014?

The original cable doesn't work well (and sometimes not at all) with USB 3.0 ports.  There are a few work arounds though.  The most simple one is to buy a USB 2.0 hub and plug that into the USB 3.0 port, and then the real tone cable into the hub.

I do indeed have the original cable, didn't even know that RS2014 came with a different one. 

I tried your advise on the USB hub, but it didn't make a difference. Game still says "cable not optimized..."

Because I use different guitars, I always calibrate before tuning. Guitars with single coils can be problematic. I sometimes have to calibrate several times before RS will accept it. And even have to use two single coils together before the game can properly hear the guitar. But once I "pass" the calibration and tuning, the game has no problem registering the notes, so I'm cool with it. 

Offline   stateofflux

stateofflux

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks

I run Rocksmith on my ASUS laptop with no problems - can't remember the model but is about a year old.

I have also run it on my Microsoft surface pro when out and about on the road and that was fine - no real lag that I could see.

Offline   niellu

niellu

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Hello everyone!
I run Rocksmith on my ASUS laptop too with no problems and fluently but I had to disable all video features and setup the screen resolution to 1024x720.
The laptop works by Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 2Gb T5800, 4Gb, Mobility radeon HD 3470 (256VRAM) and Windows Vista.
See you!

Offline   dave

dave

Master Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • Locationnewcastle uk

Donator

gotten an asus X550LD with a coreI7 and dedicated graphics, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd,

runs better than my desktop, only niggle is the sound isnt the best through the speaker but plugging in 2.1 sorts this fine.

little bit pricier than i would have liked but it does what i want it to.

Offline   driver4729

driver4729

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Donator

I use a Lenovo T410 i5 NVIDIA graphics  works great get some crackle because the sound chip is a lil slow

no latency that lag adjust hasnt fixed

VGA To plasma TV 1/8 to RCA to stereo

oh 128GB hhd and 4gb ram

1TB hssd and 8 ram coming

use downloaded version cd tray will get another hhd

note friend just got on disc for hp "gaming" lap top game wont load

Offline   Diablotin978

Diablotin978

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

I have a 2011 Dell Latitude E6420 with an Intel Core i5-2520m, 4gb of ram and the Intel HD 3000. No discrete GPU. It runs quite good. 720p and low settings and runs at 60fps in the menu and locked at 30fps during songs. Quite playable......I can definitely say that cause I've played 108 hours with that laptop so yeah.......good stuff

Offline   Xellot

Xellot

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLubbock, TX

I Run RS on my Surface Pro, and turn the settings down.. It works perfectly

Offline   birdseed007

birdseed007

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Rocksmith:PS3

I use a Toshiba S50-B-15N which is a lightweight laptop with Core i5 and AMD M260 graphics.  I play at 1080 resolution and never reduce the graphics settings - there is no lag and it's smooth as long as I use a cooling pad, if not the laptop can start to stutter if the graphics card throttles back due to heat.  Laptop has 8GB of RAM.

The thing I liked about the Toshiba is the very nice screen (I'm a photographer), it's very slimline and light (I travel a lot as an airline employee) it has an excellent backlit keyboard for late nights in hotels and a mix of USB 2 and 3 ports.  Plus it's not a high end gaming machine so isn't heavy or crazily expensive - an excellent all rounder