Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

We're 100% funded by donations. Please keep us running by clicking the link below to donate.

Mastery Bug fix now available in a GUI form, grab the BETA (1.2.6.4 or later) version of the CFSM - repairs tab
Rocksmith Remastered CDLC Fix (PC) - Mac Fix Discuss Rocksmith Remastered here (including fixes, bugs, etc).
New Christmas design available in the merch store here! You can also get stickers, mugs, and more! (20% off clothing designs - use WEIRDGIFTS at checkout)
Multiple Volunteer Positions You can apply here
Don't forget to follow us on Facebook & Twitter
January Donation Goal is up! Please donate to keep our services running in 2017! Happy Holidays.

We are aware of the current Ignition issues. No current ETA for a fix.

Photo

Rocksmith friendly Laptops

laptop rs2014

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Offline   dave

dave

Master Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • Locationnewcastle uk

Donator

Thinking about moving to a laptop from my desktop for playing Rocksmith on the move but not sure which laptops will be able to run RS without spending a fortune.

Can anybody who is using a laptop for RS2014 please list the Laptop they use and maybe a quick word on how well it runs and whether you have to reduce graphic settings etc. to be able to play.

Hopefully we can get a helpful list of laptops to help myself and others make a choice.

Thanks in advance. 

Offline   The Troglodyte

The Troglodyte

Your Everyday Caveman

• Ex-Staff Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationMiddle Of Nowhere, Also Known As Wales
  • Rocksmith:Steam

RS isn't very graphically intense, I think most laptops can run it.

Just try turning all the graphics settings down :)

Offline   dave

dave

Master Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • Locationnewcastle uk

Donator

I see a lot of tales of woe from people saying they cant get it to work on ????? laptop so dont want to end up unable to play it on a laptop I buy as it's all the laptop will be used for mostly.

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • LocationFrance

I'm playing RS2014 on a Samsung laptop with an AMD-E6 processor (1.5ghz) with integrated Radeon graphics.6 GM of RAM.  I've turned off all of the visual effects (which don't do a whole lot, in my opinion) and I also turned off the venue/crowd bit -- I used to have that turned on, and it ran, but not as smoothly. with the crowd turned off, playback is quite smooth. This computer's a couple years old already, so I'd have to assume more recent models will handle it better.

It seems to me people with intel/Nvdia combinations have more trouble with Rocksmith. At least, it seems to me most of the performance complaints came from people using these.

I'd definitely look for a laptop with more memory -- not easy to find them with more than 4 GB.

Offline   Chazite

Chazite

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • 16 thanks

I'd definitely look for a laptop with more memory -- not easy to find them with more than 4 GB.

Upgrading memory after buying a laptop is usually cheaper, especially if you buy a mac.

I have a late 2011 macbook pro 13.3" with an intel i5 and Rocksmith runs really well on the integrated graphics if you turn the graphical settings off.

In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds. Amen

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Other thing I forgot to mention: make sure you get a cooling pad for the laptop. Mine gets really hot otherwise -- so hot you can smell the plastic baking. Probably not great for the computer.

Offline   v8Tuna

v8Tuna

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAtlanta GA

HP DV6T i7 radeon 6770M graphics. Runs RS on an external LCD TV and reaper w amplitube all day. Great for using your own amp for tone and RS for the band. 

'99 Fender Power House Strat Deluxe Series Black

TBX tone pot Vintage American Noiseless Pups Active MidBoost

Dads Samick Torino 2 Red

Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 Behringer FSB1010 Reaper Amplitube 

Twin in Training Alex and Daniel

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • 306 thanks
  • LocationFrance
Dell XPS 15 since January 2013. Perfect for Rocksmith, but its price is high. Two important things for playing RS with a laptop are : - a second graphic card for the game - a good integrated cooling system

Offline   BeZi

BeZi

Master Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationPoland

HP Pavilion G6 sw-1350 with integrated intel HD series 4000 graphic -> I have to reduce graphic settings a bit to play w/o lags or FPS drops... (often is enough to turn off venues)

To record video from songs I 've to raduce a bit more grpahics - but it's still OK...

I'm looking for tones to my CDLCs...

My Workshop

Offline   mjmiller1824

mjmiller1824

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • 0 thanks

I have an ASUS V550CA. It runs RS fine. It rarely lags. 3rd Gen I7 and  8gb of ram. But....for as much as I've loved Asus in the past; this thing is a dog. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but my worst enemy and even then I wouldn't want my reputation as someone who knows computers to suffer that much. From Asus's proprietary software that is supposedly better than windows at the utilities it manages, but uses way more resources and crashes more often, to the build quality, to the specs compared to other laptops in it's price bracket I would not recommend it. It's barely  8 months old and already falling apart (case in point I have to use the 8 key on my number pad to write this because the one at the top of the keyboard mysteriously stopped working one day) I bought it as an emergency laptop before I came to Korea because one that I had bought and customized from Costco wasn't going to arrive on time. So I had to cancel it (a really sweet HP with discreet gfx) and find a replacement. I would have sent it in for repair long ago if I didn't rely on it everyday. But yeah. Absolute crap. Don't buy one of these even though it runs Rocksmith. Oh and it bluescreens at least once a day. Sometimes more. I can't wait to get back to my desktop.

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • LocationFrance

I really only bought mine because it was one of the very few (Win7) models I could find here that gave me the OS in English and a matte screen. I hate glossy screens. But then I'm not a huge fan of staring at myself in the mirror all day.

The fact that it runs Rocksmith really well is just a nice bonus.

Offline   Azrael

Azrael

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationGermany

Donator

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X220T with Intel Core i7-2620M CPU (Intel HD 3000 onboard Graphics), 8 GB of RAM and a SSD.

I play Rocksmith on my external monitor and with 720p everything works just fine! I once changed the resolution to 1080p but then the video lessons started to lag... So now I play with all the graphic settings at default.

While the fan is working pretty hard, overheating was never a problem. And the volume of the fan is no problem either, since I always play with my headphones on.

This laptop is now almost three years old, but it's powerfull enough for everything except hardcore graphics gaming... plus having the touch & pen screen is great for university!

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Offline   andrake

andrake

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • 9 thanks

I play on an old Dell E6410.  It was crashing in sesson mode until I updated to the 2013 video/sound drivers.

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • LocationFrance

We have an Acer Win8 tablet.... I've been tempted to see if Rocksmith will run on that...

Offline   Hostilian

Hostilian

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Steam Profile

Donator

I run it (winter months - long story) on my Samsung laptop. i5 3rd Gen with Intel 4000 gfx. 12GB ram and an SSD. Runs fine at 720p and graphics slightly reduced (turning off crowd).. I needed to fiddle a bit with the settings but it is definitely easily playable. I wish my 15.6 inch screen was bigger though. Projector maybe?? ;) Oh, you will need something to eliminate ground loop, if you're feeding it through a HiFi or Amp.. :) Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline   Hootzager

Hootzager

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

I run it on a stock Macbook Retina (late 2013 model) with 8GB RAM and Intel Iris graphics.

It runs fine on default settings, and doesn't get too hot.  I play in 90 to 120 minute sessions (or until my battery dies) and the only time I get issues is when the battery drops below 5% remaining.  Oddly enough though, it's never a graphical issue, but a sound issue.  I know my battery is getting close to done because the audio in Rocksmith gets choppy and grainy.

No need to worry about a ground loop for me either.  I run the audio through my amp or Denon 7.1 receiver using either a standard 3.5mm audio cable or through Airplay.

Online   missis sumner

missis sumner

Not exactly an early adopter...

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationUK

User's Awards

Donator

I run Rocksmith on my 11" Macbook air now (OS X 10.7).  It gets a bit hot but seems to cope.  The sound is shite though - I either use headphones, or run a lead out from it to my amp.

All about the bass, no treble...

https://docs.google....WP8/edit#gid=37

Offline   smirocsmo

smirocsmo

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 710 thanks
  • LocationPeace&Love
it would be cool to have RS2014 working with a tablet :lol: :lol: but it may be a problem with USB port (power) and extension mini or microUSB to USB needed (if it works with longer cable?)
:) my 140 Customs + Workshop are here:
http://customsforge....dated-december/

Offline   tron001

tron001

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • 78 thanks
  • LocationItaly

it would be cool to have RS2014 working with a tablet :lol: :lol: but it may be a problem with USB port (power) and extension mini or microUSB to USB needed (if it works with longer cable?)

:D

http://customsforge....hrough-on-roof/

Offline   joemac63z

joemac63z

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationRio Rancho, New Mexico
  • XBOX:joemac63z

I use an ASUS tablet hybrid.  It only has one USB port and a mini HDMI.  I use a powered USB adapter to support the USB slot and have turned most of the graphics off.  I also picked up a mini to regular HDMI chord that plugs into my 70" HD TV.  Initially it slowed down a lot but by tweaking some of the settings I can use it.  I'm trying to figure out how to configure an XBOX controller to navigate the menus instead of having to constantly get in front of the tablet to change songs, etc.