Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Donate to our monthly goal to keep us running.
Our next goal to hit is $650 by 10/16

Photo

Anyone else here use their amp to play Rocksmith?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Offline   chili_time

chili_time

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationTennessee USA
  • Rocksmith:Steam

Well over time I've tried different setups and now I play three different ways depending on the mood of me and the family. 

1. I use a Y split and run a cable to my POD HD500 and then to an amp. The other output of the Y is the RS cable to the PC. I do this when I want to practice hitting the pedal to change the tone during songs with one or more tone changes. I'm not very good at this so I need to practice. I focus on the pedal and my playing takes a nosedive. Still it is fun and with this set up I control my guitar tone not RS. The amp can be turned up to reveal when I sound good and not so good so this is a reality check set up (Hey Chili... RS scores you well on Guerrilla Radio but you sound like %#$*).

2. I use headphones when the family is tired of hearing riff repeater at 60% speed or just tired of hearing me.

3. I run a cable from the headphone jack of the PC to my amp and let RS control the tones when the family is away and I want to rattle the walls a bit.

I think the headphones are the best quality sound but I still like to use the other setups.

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

https://www.youtube....pHM5Zmi1CobqTJw

Offline   mononokehime

mononokehime

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks

Hello there. I have the Amplifi 30 since a couple of days and find a neat solution to connect and play with Rocksmith.

Here is the link of the picture : http://www.noelshack...-10-03-2016.jpg

I have bought the Harmony Shift last year for the purpose of playing in C ou less but this pedal have also 2 jack out. So in a way it become a Splitter with no loss and almost no noises.

The Amplifi 30 is also a soundcard with my macbook, so I can have both Rocksmith and my guitar plugged in and mixed the sound with the amp.

Tell me if you want some detail !

Offline   TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112

Freebird

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • 121 thanks
  • Locationis a tiny spot in old Europe

Playing with an Amp give's you more feedback of your own play, when the tone is not mixed with RS in a same output.

I let the RS Track out on a 5.1 system

A split Y cable may result in ground noise. This may be avoided with a pedal with two jack out.

A Harmony shift may be disturbing in C or B, because you still hear the different tuning of your guitar, and that creates an awful mix.

The Amplifi 30 may be limited when you need Phaser, Flange, and Wah, with a pedal.

The next step would be a Guitar effect processor, with a two jack out, or a ground lift, with a Pedal,

to replace my cheap Digitech RP55, which only flaw is no two jack out, no pedal, and maybe limited in simultaneous effects.

I can't get a satisfying Santana tone out of it.

I just can't decide which Zoom, Line 6, Boss, TC or ... Axe :D

Offline   indayboogie

indayboogie

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks

I use a Zoom G5 pedal for practice and recording, and when playing around with RockSmith.  I have a stereo output, left channel goes to the RS cable and into the computer, second channel goes to my amp or recording rig.  I use a StereoDly patch on my pedal to compensate for the RS latency, and adjust the delay as appropriate.  I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but so far so good.  I keep my output level on my pedal to a minimum and adjust levels on my speakers and amp appropriately.

Offline   TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112

Freebird

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • 121 thanks

The Zoom G5 is on top of my list, anybody else using it ?

Offline   mononokehime

mononokehime

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks

I forgot to tell that I only use the Harmony Shifter as a Signal splitter, I try to shift the tone but the result is not really good for me. I have two guitars, one in E and one in C.

Offline   pacovalencia

pacovalencia

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • 0 thanks

Hi guys, I use a Boss Tu-3 for split signal to my pc (Rocksmith cable) and to my ampli Mustang 1 V2 (for every type of effect).

I'm really satisfied and now I always play with this configuration!!

Boss Tu-3 split the signal without noise, is perfect for my opinion...

Offline   yuio

yuio

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Hi, 

I bought this cheap splitter: Behringer DI20 (Cheaper if you find it en ebay as I did) and a Jack to XLR-3 converter. 

It's a huge difference play using your amp and your own pedal effects.

Offline   Mostly Rancid

Mostly Rancid

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • 44 thanks

Just got a Fender ABY for my birthday as every splitter cable I've had died. For some strange reason I didn't think it needed power :rolleyes: unfortunately the electrics in my house are bad so I get a lot of interference but it does a great job and I reccomend it.

rancidsmith.jpg

Offline   isen

isen

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks

The best ABY pedal for rocksmith is the Twin City by Radial.

It is awesome, it is buffered and cut every noise that goes into amp or guitar. I use the ground lift on it. 

I had the ABY Bigshot b4 but it leaked noise into rocksmith or amp

I am addicted to that way of playing, but i had to fix a big delay problem cauz im using an external card.

Offline   tc_ski#1

tc_ski#1

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • 4 thanks

I'm using the Radial BigShot ABY.  With the right combination of the pedal's ground lift and phase settings, I'm not getting any unwanted noise.

Guitar to the ABY pedal.  "A" line to Line6 Spider IV 75; "B" line is the RockSmith USB cable to PC.  In Rocksmith audio settings, Player1 guitar volume is turned down as far as it goes, so the guitar is only coming out of the amp.

I use the Spider IV presets to try and match the tone of the song I'm playing in Rocksmith.  It works pretty well.  Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond preset, Nirvana - In Bloom, etc.  Works pretty good.  I just added the Line6 FBV Shortboard, so I can switch tones in the middle of a song when needed (still working on that).

Playing through a real Amp has definitely improved my play.  If you are playing like crap, you can really hear it, but also very satisfying when you are nailing it!

Offline   isen

isen

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks

Tc_Ski, ive done the same thing but with the big shot, ive had a problem. Either the noise was going through my tube amp or in the game. But that noise could have messed up the note detection. (i set the guitar volume at 0% in the game too)

This is actualy why they made the Twin-City, to avoid these unwanted noise our groundloop. (that usb cable is creating a ground loop  i think and thats where the problem is from)

Offline   tc_ski#1

tc_ski#1

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • 4 thanks

Radial ToneBone Twin-City ABY is definitely the premium product with the best noise reduction capability (also the premium price).  I may just be lucky with my setup combination that I'm not getting any noise.

The only area I've noticed any issue with note recognition in RockSmith with my setup is "two-hand tapping".  It seems if I plug guitar direct to PC with RS USB cable, it yields better note detection for two-hand tapping.  This is with limited testing, only using the practice track from the lesson section. 

Offline   ChicoBUSTNurFIG

ChicoBUSTNurFIG

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

I tried this about 6 months ago with the y splitter cable on the guitar and I also ran one on my computers sound and ran it into the line in on my amp. I had a lot of problems and stopped. After I was reading this thread I was wondering has anyone just tried to use the boss tuner pedal (Boss TU-3) for the splitting the signal? I will try shortly and report back on how it works?

ChicoBUSTNurFIG

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

I just hooked upped the Boss TU-2 tuner pedal. I used one output for rocksmith and the other one (bypass) for my guitar amp. It seemed to work pretty good. So if you have a boss tuner pedal with two outputs that could be an option. I can't believe I didn't think of this 6 months ago instead of buying a y splitter for my guitar cable that didn't work too well. Glad I read this thread, Thanks guys!

Offline   tc_ski#1

tc_ski#1

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • 4 thanks

The key to this working effectively is to have something that has features designed-in that can combat the noise effects from ground loops and electrical phase conflicts with the amplifier.  A lot of good technical info on the links below that can explain it properly.

http://www.radialeng.../bigshotaby.php

http://www.tonebone.com/twincity.php

http://www.tonebone....-aby-detail.htm

Offline   TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112

Freebird

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • 121 thanks

Ground loop noise occurs when more electric items have their ground circuits colliding with each other.

That's where ground lifts come into action, as they detach one ground circuit,

Which ought to be safe, as the lifted item gets grounded by the circuit of the other item.

It may even be dangerous to play with ground noise.

The solutions exposed here are probably working, but they are expensive, only a chromatic tuner, amp switcher.

another pedal, more cables.

Also remember that the output to the PC must be clean, raw, not transformed,

it must bypass any modification of pedals to allow RS to recognize the notes.

ChicoBUSTNurFIG

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Ground loop noise occurs when more electric items have their ground circuits colliding with each other.

That's where ground lifts come into action, as they detach one ground circuit,

Which ought to be safe, as the lifted item gets grounded by the circuit of the other item.

It may even be dangerous to play with ground noise.

The solutions exposed here are probably working, but they are expensive, only a chromatic tuner, amp switcher.

another pedal, more cables.

Also remember that the output to the PC must be clean, raw, not transformed,

it must bypass any modification of pedals to allow RS to recognize the notes.

Yeah I'm sure it probably wasnt grounded properly when I tried the y cable splitter. I tried the cheapiest cables I could find. I wasnt suggesting anyone go buy a $100 pedal to split the signal but I know a few people might already have the boss tuner pedal. Just putting it out there as an easy option if you already have it.

Offline   1o57

1o57

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks

Donator

This is exactly the setup and discussion I was asking about, but nobody responded...

If you want to split your input and use an amp, one solution is to use a Lehle P-Split (I also use a Sunday Driver in the chain) and it works great.  I turn down the sound for the guitar in the game and only use my amp.  If I want effects, I just take that second signal and run it through guitar rig or physical pedals....

Offline   isen

isen

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks

i tried a passive aby pedal but i had noise in one of the two channel. 
It was either my amp or the notes detection.

Thats why i bought the radial Twin city.