Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Donate to our monthly goal to keep us running.
Our next goal to hit is $650 by 10/16

Photo

Anyone else here use their amp to play Rocksmith?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Offline   lahelio

lahelio

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • 24 thanks

Donator

Swamp Premium Guitar Lead Passive Splitter / Combiner from ebay worked for guitar perfect...( y-splitter)

No noises i can hear... about 13 € + shipping.

My amp is poor man's, poor watted Roland Microcube...  better sounds are up to me... don't need better amp, but skill...

Offline   fawktastik

fawktastik

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationMURICA
  • Rocksmith:Steam
  • XBOX:fawktastik

Donator

I found out that it's the power in my building.

the same intense noise started again last night when i had my schecter hellraiser and the rocksmith cable plugged into the ABY box.  then i unplugged the power from my laptop and the noise completely stopped.  

You need an ABY switch with a ground lift.  I use one of these and it totally removed the ground hum:

http://www.tonebone....bigshot-aby.htm

I'm sure there's plenty of options but this is what I personally use.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   kedhrin

kedhrin

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationDenver, CO

Steam Profile

I found out that it's the power in my building.

the same intense noise started again last night when i had my schecter hellraiser and the rocksmith cable plugged into the ABY box.  then i unplugged the power from my laptop and the noise completely stopped.  

You need an ABY switch with a ground lift.  I use one of these and it totally removed the ground hum:

http://www.tonebone....bigshot-aby.htm

I'm sure there's plenty of options but this is what I personally use.

Thanks man, I called Guitar Center and i think they can hook me up. I'll go return the one i got and hopefully this fixes it! I didn't even know this shit existed, hah!

Kedhrin Gonzalez

Creative Director - IllFonic

www.illfonic.com

Offline   Guiagge

Guiagge

Hardcore Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • XBOX:pussy_destroyer

I don't see the need for a Y-cable at all. When I was doing that I would just put the (normal) cable on my amp and then put the Rocksmith cable on the line out of my amp. I don't know if every amp has this thing but to me it worked just fine (before I had a problem with my cable, i have to buy a new one but I'm too lazy lol).

Offline   andrake

andrake

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • 9 thanks

I don't see the need for a Y-cable at all. When I was doing that I would just put the (normal) cable on my amp and then put the Rocksmith cable on the line out of my amp. I don't know if every amp has this thing but to me it worked just fine (before I had a problem with my cable, i have to buy a new one but I'm too lazy lol).

Guiagge,

That is the simple way to do it.  Many amps don't have a clean signal level output to tap into.  Also you would have to play into your amplifier unmodified.  When I connect my amp I use a direct box with gound lift and run into my ancient Digitec RP1 to go to my amplifier.  The purpose of the direct box is to split the signal and not have to worry about a grounding loop and that horrid 60hz hum.

Andrake

Offline   Guiagge

Guiagge

Hardcore Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • XBOX:pussy_destroyer

Guiagge,

That is the simple way to do it.  Many amps don't have a clean signal level output to tap into.  Also you would have to play into your amplifier unmodified.  When I connect my amp I use a direct box with gound lift and run into my ancient Digitec RP1 to go to my amplifier.  The purpose of the direct box is to split the signal and not have to worry about a grounding loop and that horrid 60hz hum.

Andrake

Oh sorry, I forgot about that, I don't use effects at all since I'm a poor nigga, but it really can mess up the note recognition...

Direct box is really a great tool for a bassist, can be useful in a handful of situations.

Offline   andrake

andrake

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • 9 thanks

Oh, for Bass, I don't use any effects. 

Offline   CuckingTheDead

CuckingTheDead

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • 1 thanks

Steam Profile

I just tune it, unplug it from the Rocksmith cable into my amp cable, and go in riff repeater so Dynamic doesn't dumb down the song when it misses.

fy55X1k.jpg Guitar for death metal

a6ypiuA.jpg Guitar for everything else especially Buckethead with the badass LED killswitch

Offline   JanTheMan

JanTheMan

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Hello,

I use my amp but the only thing I do is to put a cable between my pc headphone connection to my amp wich has a line in.

Perfect sound.

Jan.

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • 455 thanks
  • LocationVillers-Cotterêts, France

Wait so you actually prefer your amp speaker than headphone?

Buy new headphone cause amp speaker are really not made to fully transcribe low to high frequency correctly. You are just butchering the song to make sure that your guitar stand out in what you are hearing.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   chapmak

chapmak

Hardcore Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationOhio

I use a splitter sometimes with mine.  I don't seem to get a lot of feedback.   NIce cheap way to go.   After reading this, I think I will have to do that tonight since I haven't done that lately.  

Offline   Gabbs

Gabbs

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCalifornia

Wait so you actually prefer your amp speaker than headphone?

Buy new headphone cause amp speaker are really not made to fully transcribe low to high frequency correctly. You are just butchering the song to make sure that your guitar stand out in what you are hearing.

Yeah, I run Rocksmith through my PA.  Sounds just like a real band with it, me on bass with amp and my wife on guitar with amp kicking it multiplayer at near club volume. 

Offline   JanTheMan

JanTheMan

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Perfect sound...........

Offline   ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

I started with just a cheap guitar and rocksmith.  After getting into it I now have 2 basses (ended up liking bass more) and just got my first bass amp.

My question was, what sounds better, hooking the game to your normal home speakers, or hooking the game to a amp/cab.

Found this thread on chance and looked at all the y splitters and aby units.

Gives me an idea nobody mentioned yet.  Instead of spending money on a good aby unit I can just use my Behringer mixer.  I can hook the bass cab up to one of my aux sends and plug the game cable to another channel.

I actually started to play the game using my mixer to one of my soundcards instead of the realtone cable, but I couldnt get my latency down low enough.  Thinking about trying it again and using my onboard sound first, then just plug the realtone cable in as the second attempt, and last I can try using the mixers usb connection and let it be the soundcard itself.

BTW for me the game sounds awesome on just my home speakers, I have 2x floor standing polk monitor 70's and a 12" powered sub, so playing guitar and bass both sounded really great.  The main reason I think I may integrate my bass cab is so that I can hear myself better as I noticed that some songs "mask" bad play, while others let me here every little thing I do.  I guess it depends on the song and what  effects are in use.

Offline   madzillagd

madzillagd

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • 3 thanks

Donator

There are a lot of ways to do this and I'm sure everyone has a preference.  For me, I put my Rocksmith Bass Volume @ 0 - but crank up everything else using the decent PC speakers I have.  Bass is plugged into a cheap Behringer Chorus pedal (turned off) so it's basically a splitter.  Line A (no effects) goes into the PC.  Line B goes into my Zoom B3 which feeds to my amp.  That way I can mess around with my bass tones/effects whenever I want with no impact to the game.  If I want to blend with the music I can, if I want to crank up the bass and focus on my playing primarily I can.  I prefer this much more than having the bass coming out of the same speakers as the other music, like you said there's too much that gets masked. 

Offline   chili_time

chili_time

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationTennessee USA

I use a splitter and run it to a Line 6 POD HD500 and then to an amp. It is fun to try and match the Rocksmith tone on the HD 500. The amp does highlight the shortcomings of my play but a dose of reality is motivation to practice more.

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

https://www.youtube....pHM5Zmi1CobqTJw

Offline   shepardbr

shepardbr

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • 10 thanks

Donator

One other benefit of plugging into an amp is you never touch the RS cable. When your guitar cable breaks (which it will) you can replace it with a standard cable because you never unplug the RS cable from the amp.

Offline   Mostly Rancid

Mostly Rancid

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • 44 thanks

I've always just used a cheap Y splitter cable coming out of the guitar, 1 lead to my effect pedals then to the amp and 1 lead to the PC. I do get what I think is ground hum but that gets drowned out when I'm playing so I live with it.

rancidsmith.jpg

Offline   ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

I was looking at something like this for splitting incase there are ground loop issues.

http://www.sweetwate...CFQEJaQodI7UPUw

Kind of a lot of money perhaps just for a spliter, but if you need it or ever intend to use your equipment for outside just playing rocksmith its more of an investment. 

I ended up getting a sansamp vt bass di today because I wanted to plug into my mixer and have some control over tone.

I was going to just plug my bass into my mixer (worked well for me, others maybe not so much I think my active pickups help a lot) but a proper DI will give me a clean signal and also act as a spliter so I can feed to RS unaltered and to my amp/mixer with my altered sound.

Cant wait to try it out, hope that I do not find any ground loop hum when I get the setup put into place.

The tricky thing is that RS only lets me have one recording device on the computer (the realtone cable) so I cant record anything on the PC from my mixer. 

Offline   Khaaoos

Khaaoos

Beginner Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Locationgermany
  • XBOX:Khaaoos

hi,

after a few tries, i found a pretty good way to use an amp+rs.

I use the zoom g3, main/mono-output to amp, xlr-out (with xlr/audiojack adapter) with 'pre' setting -> realtone cable.

so rs receives a dry signal (works perfectly) while the amp plays with all the zoom-effects...   also theres a 'ground-lift' button on the g3..

the line-out of my amp didn't work too good in comparison.