Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Our end the month goal is up! $105 remaining. Thank you for donating.
We need to hit our goal by the 29th to keep the servers up.
Official Patreon - Facebook - Twitter

We're needing more volunteers for future projects. This includes:
- Laravel Developers (We're looking for a new Lead Developer *PAID*)
--- We need a developer to rewrite our auth code ASAP. Please apply immediately if you can help. ---
- Server Admin (*PAID*)
- Moderators
- C# Developers (& .Net Core)
Please apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/Y1irWCLoqODGKQVr1

Photo

Seeking tips for beginner @ 7 string

7 string practice tips

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Offline   BlackHeat74

BlackHeat74

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationMaryland
  • Rocksmith:Steam
  • XBOX:Phantomhive1875

Hey, so I just got a my first seven string guitar and I'm loving it so far. There's one thing though...I want to understand a bit more if there is any that I can do with a seven string. I know everything on a normal guitar but is there some things I can practice or techniques unique to a seven string? I'm looking into incorporating the 7 string into the songs I write now.

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • 472 thanks
  • LocationVillers-Cotterêts, France

@BlackHeat74 well there's nothing really unique about the 7 strings, it just allow for some different chord because of the extra string and offers a greater range of note but that's it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   Rockfirstlast

Rockfirstlast

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • 312 thanks
If you are playing a ii V I progression it sounds nice to mix it up and play the root of the V chord on the B string.

Offline   QOTSANINSOADKORN

QOTSANINSOADKORN

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Play some Korn?

https://www.guitar.c...head-munky-korn

Head: We drop our low B-string to A and tune from there. Our E chord is a D.

Guitar.com: You both introduced the 7-string guitar to a wider audience than it has ever had before and many bands have adopted your sound. How does that make you feel?

Head: It's pretty cool. Inspiring. It's a compliment.

Guitar.com: How did your use of the 7-string come about?

Head: Munky started using 7 strings back in '92-'93. They asked me join the band and I had to buy one to fit in.

Munky: I looked at Steve Vai and said that's a cool guitar but I didn't want to be a shredder I wanted to be a rhythm player. I tried tuning it down and I liked it.

Also check out:
http://www.sevenstring.org

Recent Additions: Various Final Fantasy 7 8 9 , Tim Minchin - So F*cking Rock, Hans Zimmer - Dream Is Collapsing,

Daft Punk - Short Circuit, Forces - BERSERK - Animé - 1997, Korn - Ball Tongue (E Standard Transposed) (Instrumental)

_________________________________________________________________________________

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL... After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =  :)

QOTSANINSOADKORN

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

https://www.reddit.c...string_guitars/

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Ibanez_K7

KoRn signature tuning: A, D, G, C, F, A, D (low to high)

so that's "D Drop A" ?

Others using Drop A variations...

https://en.wikipedia...ropped_A_tuning

Recent Additions: Various Final Fantasy 7 8 9 , Tim Minchin - So F*cking Rock, Hans Zimmer - Dream Is Collapsing,

Daft Punk - Short Circuit, Forces - BERSERK - Animé - 1997, Korn - Ball Tongue (E Standard Transposed) (Instrumental)

_________________________________________________________________________________

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL... After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =  :)

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • 472 thanks
  • LocationVillers-Cotterêts, France

@QOTSANINSOADKORN Korn tuning is just a standard 7 string tune down by a full step so like a D std for guitar but with a low A added. There's no drop at all in korn tuning, it's just lower than standard.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

QOTSANINSOADKORN

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

ok then, thought i might of had it wrong this whole time...

Offline   AMOlson

AMOlson

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Rocksmith:PS3

The only reason I broke down and bought the extremely cheap 7 string I found at a pawn shop (it was in really bad shape, but cleaned up nicely) was someone got really clever and transcribed Paganini's 24 Caprices for electric 7 string. Since he incorporated things like two handed tapping it's not suitable for acoustic guitar at all. And did I mention the guitar was cheap and sounds sweet?

But the real thing is that if you're playing violin music on guitar, that bottom string really comes in handy, just like if you're playing cello music on bass, having a five string is almost required. It's because both violins and cellos are tuned in fifths, not fourths like guitars, so their lowest possible note is slightly below that of their fretted cousins.

Note, this doesn't have anything to do with strumming and chords. No help on that topic here at all, sorry. I still can't tell an E major from any totally random collection of notes. Bass and classical/jazz player here.

Andy Olson

QOTSANINSOADKORN

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

I recently restrung my 1st Classical Guitar :P

NYLON FTW
it was acquired with just 4 strings / 6...

also dusted off the 1st guitar i ever played...
a Yamaha F310 - Acoustic

also i was given an Ovation Semi Acoustic with a a missing Bridge...
http://www.ovationgu...rans-blue-quilt

8_Full_Left_Front_NA-942f905f182924c1519