Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Don't forget to join our Partnered Discord, like us on Facebook and Twitter!
Donate to our monthly goal to keep us running.

Photo

Line 6 Amps?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Offline   Jefbyos

Jefbyos

Hardcore Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • Rocksmith:Steam

@Chris11

Amen to everything you said, there is no tech or way to do things that are better than others. There may be some known formulas and habits, but the perfect rig is the one you're most comfortable with. Period.

There's one thing, though :

I'm trying to justify me owning a Helix, and my friends and all those high profile musicians like Metallica owning and using modellers from Fractal and Kemper lol :D  Because the internet as always knows better than Metallica, Vai, Petrucci, Satriani, Schon, The Edge and all the other professional guitarists that have hundreds of gigs around the world.

About who uses what, i tend to keep in mind that big names are also business names. Having a thing in your rack doesn't mean you rely on it, you may as well use it for alternate sounds, for tracking demos or overdubs, to reharse in hotel bedrooms... In fact, there are various situations, including never using the gear. Even the most expensive signature models are a thing and the guitar the guy really uses, another one - because the first is a reproduction of the latter, or simply because they are made in different factories by different people. Generally, artists tends to be most welcome in the customs shops, their desires gets most attention from the crews and there is no economic choices like when you sell something to the public.

Offline   Chris11

Chris11

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Yes Jeffbyos that is true. :)  In many cases things on their racks are just backup systems or using them for a specific effect for example and in some cases it's just for marketing purposes. As far as I've seen from gear rundowns on Youtube the last 2-3 years, many of them run now a hybrid system blending tube amps, modelling and digital effects and get the best of both worlds with no compromises in sound. And of course as you said they have the luxury and brand name to have all of these "toys" at their disposal. :)

Guitar tone is an ever evolving journey for all of us. I am thankful that we live in an age where we don't have to spend an insane amount of money to get a good guitar, amp, effects and generally gear. The choices we have now at our disposal are so many and so much better compared to what was available a decade ago. That's why I try to keep an open mind, try whatever I can and inform fellow musicians of all the options that I know of and are available today. When it comes to gear you never know what might work for you and that's part of the fun.   :) 

Online   ZagatoZee

ZagatoZee

Master Guitarist

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationBogota, Colombia

Lets try and get this thread back on track.

A high school student wants to build a rig for approx USD$1500 that will work for a gig with upto 1500 people - that he has to save up for months to be able to afford - try to keep that in mind.

First off - well done lad - hope the show goes well, regardless on what gear you end up using - you are much braver than I ever was at 17!

An important question really is - what sound system does the venue have? Is there a PA system that you can hook into to provide the volume? Since that question alone can radically alter what gear is appropriate for use. Do they have mics for micing cabs? A competent sound person to help you get the best sound from the combination of your gear and the venue's equipment?

I'm not going to touch the Valve/tube head vs modellers conversation. Both have their uses and places - and one very well may be the better option in your circumstance - depending on the answers to the above questions.

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't notice the OP suggesting the kinds of music they will be playing?

I'm not going to suggest XYZ equipment over others, because quite frankly, I don't have the experience to say X is better than Y.

What I would suggest however, is the OP spending a few hours reviewing the "Andertons Sound Like X without busting the bank" videos. Given the budget for those vids includes the guitar - and presumably the OP doesn't need to factor that in, you could potentially come across a really good (for you) rig in those vids. Nothing will replace being able to sit down and try gear yourself, but maybe those vids can help you narrow down a few options before you step into a music store. - https://www.youtube...._Zk4qQbbZc2qTCU

Offline   Puddle Of Mudd

Puddle Of Mudd

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • 2 thanks

The logic behind those videos is bit off the track. You don't need to buy some equipment that is the same or close to what somebody uses to get similar tones, you can do the same by getting different equipment. Take the Koch for example, I'm sure almost nobody here was heard of it but you can get lots of tones out of it using its multiple channels, which would do for different forms of music.

Offline   DeadlyPower

DeadlyPower

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationOhio

Lets try and get this thread back on track.

A high school student wants to build a rig for approx USD$1500 that will work for a gig with upto 1500 people - that he has to save up for months to be able to afford - try to keep that in mind.

First off - well done lad - hope the show goes well, regardless on what gear you end up using - you are much braver than I ever was at 17!

An important question really is - what sound system does the venue have? Is there a PA system that you can hook into to provide the volume? Since that question alone can radically alter what gear is appropriate for use. Do they have mics for micing cabs? A competent sound person to help you get the best sound from the combination of your gear and the venue's equipment?

I'm not going to touch the Valve/tube head vs modellers conversation. Both have their uses and places - and one very well may be the better option in your circumstance - depending on the answers to the above questions.

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't notice the OP suggesting the kinds of music they will be playing?

I'm not going to suggest XYZ equipment over others, because quite frankly, I don't have the experience to say X is better than Y.

What I would suggest however, is the OP spending a few hours reviewing the "Andertons Sound Like X without busting the bank" videos. Given the budget for those vids includes the guitar - and presumably the OP doesn't need to factor that in, you could potentially come across a really good (for you) rig in those vids. Nothing will replace being able to sit down and try gear yourself, but maybe those vids can help you narrow down a few options before you step into a music store. - https://www.youtube...._Zk4qQbbZc2qTCU

Since its a school rock concert they play everything from pop songs to ozzy, to lynyrd. But in all honesty i was honestly looking at this tube amp.

http://www.musicians...guitar-amp-head

Theres plenty of mixed reviews saying that the amp company is shit, while the majority of the reviews say that its a pretty badass amp overall, This just leaves me with finding a cabinet and getting a couple of pedals.

Now for the sound system of the venue (Which is the schools performing arts center which is still pretty big) I know they have a PA system, But i didnt play in the concert last year because i was still new to the school, But i went and watched and it seemed like they had the other instruments were louder than the two guitars (violins). The only real time i heard the guitar when i watched was during the guitar solos or when they played an acoustic song. 

Also i know they have a designated area in the performing center for sound, Im not sure what exactly goes on there but im sure they do something with the guitars.

I think i covered everything you asked.

Offline   Puddle Of Mudd

Puddle Of Mudd

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • 2 thanks

Bugera is Behringer, should be OK. They're not too good or too bad, depends on the model. Most people associate Behringer with some products that were really crap for their time... nowadays they do have a wider portfolio of products ranging from big mixers to even a digital piano.

For the cab, since you're buying from Guitar Center, you can get something like this:

http://www.guitarcen...aker-Cabinet.gc

It doesn't come with England made Celestions but the Chinese ones tend to be bit more burned in so that's bit of an advantage if it counts...

Dunlop should be good for the pedals without breaking the budget. But there are lots of other options as well, some, better than it obviously.

Offline   DeadlyPower

DeadlyPower

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationOhio

Bugera is Behringer, should be OK. They're not too good or too bad, depends on the model. Most people associate Behringer with some products that were really crap for their time... nowadays they do have a wider portfolio of products ranging from big mixers to even a digital piano.

For the cab, since you're buying from Guitar Center, you can get something like this:

http://www.guitarcen...aker-Cabinet.gc

It doesn't come with England made Celestions but the Chinese ones tend to be bit more burned in so that's bit of an advantage if it counts...

Dunlop should be good for the pedals without breaking the budget. But there are lots of other options as well, some, better than it obviously.

Alright so i feel like we have a decision, Other than that i just have to worry about pedals. I appreciate everyones help who commented on this post.

Offline   Jefbyos

Jefbyos

Hardcore Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 9 thanks
@DeadlyPower

One other thing you should consider when acquiring gear is how it works with the rest of your setup. It's critical, especially if you go for old-school techs like valve amps, which generally have a well-defined sonic personality. And that, usually, are incompatible with versatility.

That is also why i earlier advice to rent gear and spend a bit of time to reharse in well-equipped studio, if possible. You'll never realize those things better than in situation.

The Bugera you're into looks to me a lot like Marshall Plexi, so i'll assume you won't get the most satisfactory result from any pedals on the market. To me you'll probably pass on digital MFX with that amp, and probably wants to take a look on classic overdrive to push the embedded crunch to lead sounds, and/or treble booster... TS808 or TS9 are classic solution to boost embedded overdrive sound without spending fortunes on it.