Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Our end the month goal is up! $105 remaining. Thank you for donating.
We need to hit our goal by the 29th to keep the servers up.
Official Patreon - Facebook - Twitter

We're needing more volunteers for future projects. This includes:
- Laravel Developers (We're looking for a new Lead Developer *PAID*)
--- We need a developer to rewrite our auth code ASAP. Please apply immediately if you can help. ---
- Server Admin (*PAID*)
- Moderators
- C# Developers (& .Net Core)
Please apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/Y1irWCLoqODGKQVr1

Photo

Is keeping guitar in alternate tuning okay?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Offline   chili_time

chili_time

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationTennessee USA
  • Rocksmith:Steam

I should probably know this but... I've been playing Audio Slave's "Gasoline" recently and the top string is tuned down to "B" so it is BADGBE tuning. Is it a bad idea (like warp the neck bad idea) to leave a guitar in this tuning?   Should I just re-tune to E Standard when I'm done for the day?

If I took lessons from a real person I would ask them but RS and you guys are basically my guitar teacher at this point.

Thanks!

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

https://www.youtube....pHM5Zmi1CobqTJw

Offline   covinhas87

covinhas87

Expert Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationPortugal

Im beginner, but my feeling tell me to retune on the end of the day.
10 min befor you finish, just play something in E standard. :)

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • 472 thanks
  • LocationVillers-Cotterêts, France

It should not be an issue at all, many people keep some guitar in different tuning all the time.

It's mostly the truss rod that help the neck keeping a certain shape, then it's the string tension. But as long as your guitar is correctly setup, there's no reason to have any issue.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   hellohello

hellohello

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2 thanks
It´s bad idea to change tunings frequently in a single guitar, if that your question that I´m already assuming because if you have this type of question 4 a beginner you probably won´t set your guitar only for playing a single song from Audio Slave. To keep a guitar in a single type already adjusted is fine but changin´ it constantly is not.The cons are that you can disarrange the curvature of the fretboard or neck,in case your neck is already set. When a neck bows for,the strings may be to high,making the guitar difficult to play. When a neck bows back ,the strings may be to low causing fret buzz.The neck is made of wood that is flexible and the strings along with the bolt-on neck design, keep it on certain shape and is in constant tension. Furthermore this tuning change can cause your strings to lost tension and you have to keep them at tune frequently. To check if your neck is set correctly do as follow. On the low E string,push down on the first and last fret.Sighting under the string at the 8th fret.the gap should be around about the thickness about 3 sheets of papers. In case that neck needs adjustment take it to the guitar store. In the least case your tunings would be unstable.The ideal thing would be to have different guitars ,each from a single type of tuning. A cheap solution would be to get a pedal that change the pitch for your guitar at will for different type of tunings, I heard that this kind of pedals work in RS.There was a pors before like this and there there´s the kind of pedals for it.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   AMOlson

AMOlson

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Rocksmith:PS3

I wouldn't worry about it with a guitar, as they're not under all that much tension to begin with. Even more since you're going down in tension. The only issue I've ever had was having to adjust the truss rod when I went from ancient normal to new heavy strings on a bass.

Generally speaking though, if you're going to lighter strings or lower tunings than the instrument was designed for, you're good. The worst that is likely to happen is a broken string, which on a guitar is common. Now this is from a physics standpoint, not a musician's, so there's that grain of salt. 

Offline   Talkpaw

Talkpaw

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Rocksmith:PS3

It´s bad idea to change tunings frequently in a single guitar, if that your question that I´m already assuming because if you have this type of question 4 a beginner you probably won´t set your guitar only for playing a single song from Audio Slave. To keep a guitar in a single type already adjusted is fine but changin´ it constantly is not.The cons are that you can disarrange the curvature of the fretboard or neck,in case your neck is already set. When a neck bows for,the strings may be to high,making the guitar difficult to play. When a neck bows back ,the strings may be to low causing fret buzz.The neck is made of wood that is flexible and the strings along with the bolt-on neck design, keep it on certain shape and is in constant tension. Furthermore this tuning change can cause your strings to lost tension and you have to keep them at tune frequently. To check if your neck is set correctly do as follow. On the low E string,push down on the first and last fret.Sighting under the string at the 8th fret.the gap should be around about the thickness about 3 sheets of papers. In case that neck needs adjustment take it to the guitar store. In the least case your tunings would be unstable.The ideal thing would be to have different guitars ,each from a single type of tuning. A cheap solution would be to get a pedal that change the pitch for your guitar at will for different type of tunings, I heard that this kind of pedals work in RS.There was a pors before like this and there there´s the kind of pedals for it.

This is the perfect response to the question. 

Online   KingCobra

KingCobra

Master Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationKekistan

Should I just re-tune to E Standard when I'm done for the day?

Thanks!

No