Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

We're close to our donation goal! Thank you for contributing. http://customsforge.com/donate/goal-92-june-donation-goal/

Photo

Which band inspired you to pick up an instrument?

instrument guitar bass band music inspiritation rocksmith

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Offline   lilstrats

lilstrats

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Rocksmith:Steam

Donator

The Cult and Guns N' Roses

Good call. Slash made me pick up my first guitar

Rocksmith made me get a bass

Yeah I'm thinking of getting a Bass...what with all the Rush customs and RHCP...I want a bass badly but I recently got a new guitar so it's not in the stars for me...yet ;)

Offline   ZePanzerMaus

ZePanzerMaus

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks

For me it would have to be Guns N' Roses and Pantera. Dimebag Darrell is my guitar idol :purple_heart:

Offline   MancRanger

MancRanger

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationUK
  • XBOX:TheMancRanger
  • PSN:TheMancRanger

First for me it was Green Day. But I feel more influenced by Muse now.

Offline   Sunderlol

Sunderlol

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Red Hot Chili Peppers introduced me to music and playing bass.

But things got really serious when I discovered Soundgarden. MAN, instantly wanted to play drums.

Offline   82PE175

82PE175

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks

Donator

GnFnR's!

I thought John Connor ripping around on his dirt bike blasting "You could be mine" was so cool.

Offline   RoR

RoR

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNorth West England.
  • PSN:RoR_UK

Really hard to put it down to one band.. My parents brought me up on Queen, Pink Floyd and Dire Straights and i always loved guitar solos. When i got a little bit older i was listening to a lot of Nirvana, Green Day, Metallica and a bunch of Nu-Metal, still loving the guitar sound and solo's.

I would say I've had three real eureka moments or songs that have really motivated to learn to play. These being:
RHCP - Under the bridge, not even sure why think its partly the video and the intro.
Metallica - One, love the song and kirk's solos.
I lost my dad last year to cancer and after going through some of his stuff realised how much his music meant to him especially Pink Floyd and Dire Straits which made me want to pick up my guitar that has been gathering dust for months....and here i am.  :)

Offline   alexniver

alexniver

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

album American idiot. I'm a Chinese. Green day show me something different. Let me to think

Offline   RoyaIBlood

RoyaIBlood

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationEngland
  • XBOX:rnv

Foo Fighters/Nirvana

Dave Grohl really

Such a nice guy and I just wanted to play because of him

Offline   Wickedwolf

Wickedwolf

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
I had a guitar for years and it sat there collecting dust and I used to listen to a lot if AC/DC and I was starting to get bored if the same songs but about 2 months ago I heard this awesome some on the radio I looked to see what it was called and it was 'Animal' ( have you got the hint yet), so I listened to the end and I was like "please say who that was by and the song ended and they said "that is the classic Def Leppard with 'Animal' and I decided when I got home I would look these guys up, now I had heard of Def Leppard before but I just never listened to them anyway I searched YouTube for Def Leppard and the amount of songs they had that were so good was unbelievable, and today as I'm writing this I have grown a real bond with Def Leppard. I have watched a movie about them, seen a documentary, watched a full love concert on YouTube and I would love to go see them for real they may be older now but hell they still rock.

The bottom line is Def Leppard was that band that inspired me to pick up the guitar and I love watching Phil Collen on the guitar.

Offline   Gwyn

Gwyn

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

It definitely has to be Iron Maiden for me. Although the real inspiration came from a friend who suggested I pick up an electric. Hardly looked back since.

Offline   BusterKnott

BusterKnott

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationTulsa, OK

For me it all started sometime in the summer of 1974.

I was thirteen at the time a drummer in our middle school band and somewhat discouraged with the then current state of music in America.

One hot summer day I was kicking back on the front porch with my best friend sharing a joint and listening to the local "Rock" station.

We were bemoaning all the insipid faggy crap passing as music on radio rotation at the time and the sad state of popular music in general when all of a sudden this utterly raw song with an incredible Bass line began pouring out of the speakers.

Then this nasally voice started to sing:

"I get up at seven, yeah, And I go to work at nine, I got no time for livin' Yes, I'm workin' all the time..."

I was blown away by the song and I was instantly hooked!

Rush as I soon learned was the groups name instantly became my new favorite band and their skinny bass player became my new musical hero...

I determined that day; to Hell with the drums. I'm going to become a bassist!

Offline   pro55series

pro55series

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Started with System of a Down which made me pick up an Electronic drum kit (where i live i sadly cannot use a acoustic one :c)

Then with Muse and Flyleaf i got inspired to finally give Bass a chance. It also inspired me to try guitar sadly the one i have (a cheap one) does not create the right sounds on the lower Frets :c

Offline   mithleshjs

mithleshjs

Beginner Guitarist

• Developer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Buckethead is the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. And every time I feel like guitar is too tough for me, I listen to his songs and then I practice till my fingers bleed.

Offline   RubberDave

RubberDave

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • 0 thanks
My biggest influences over the years would have to be Metallica, Pantera and Maiden, but the ONE song that made me first want to pick up a guitar (but didn't actually learn properly until 20 years later) was the theme from Red Dwarf!

Offline   Brotein Supplements

Brotein Supplements

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

For me it was The Cult and ironically (due to how easy it is to play) Interpol.

The song PDA actually made me go out and buy a guitar, I still love the sleek post-punk sound those guitars made.

Being fairly young, I guess it was a good call though, since I love playing guitar now.

Offline   Diantilong1

Diantilong1

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Coheed and Cambria, Bad Brains, and Silversun Pickups

Offline   justinmana

justinmana

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

for me it was jim root and mick thompson paul gray of slipknot

Offline   Assemble

Assemble

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Started to listen to Pink Floyd about a year ago and started to play songs from The Wall and The Dark Side Of The Moon. Then I was digging more into prog, starting from Kansas and Boston and then moving to something more complex, like King Crimson, Yes, Tool, Symphony X. Talking as a bass player, my heart really belongs to Rush and to Geddy Lee personally. He's a monster. 

Offline   zidine100

zidine100

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Dave Grohl really

Such a nice guy and I just wanted to play because of him

Going to ditto that one. 

Online   BlankScreen

BlankScreen

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Rocksmith:XBOX 360
  • XBOX:Blank Screen

Steam Profile

I think it was Green Day, Rise Against, Cage the Elephant, MCS, and Slipknot were the bands I was listening to when I started to play bass.

Z8zCDFG.png