Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Don't forget to join our Partnered Discord, like us on Facebook and Twitter!
Donate to our monthly goal to keep us running.

Photo

Which band inspired you to pick up an instrument?

instrument guitar bass band music inspiritation rocksmith

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Offline   IronKnight

IronKnight

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Rocksmith:Steam

I hear you. He makes playing those songs look so easy, but stepping back for a second shows just how technical he's getting there. (Especially around the 2:30 mark in the Superman meets Metal video...)

He has some amazing tracks that I'd love to see added up here. (MegaMan, Metal Gear, Zelda, Ghostbusters, Robocop, Terminator, etc... )

Plus he often gets right into costume for his music too... Like this:

Also I forgot to mention FamilyJules7X. 

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • 448 thanks
  • LocationVillers-Cotterêts, France

Just search for Eric Calderone in ignition and you'll be able to enjoy some of his songs ;)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   IronKnight

IronKnight

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Yeah, I picked a few of them up already but I'm no where's near the skill level required to even attempt that yet. (Maybe this time next year will be a different story.) Until then more practice is required.

Offline   Venomous

Venomous

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Maybe the all bands from 80s ( Such as Iron Maiden) New Wave of British Metal,Rush,Van Halen,Mötley Crüe,Dire Straits,Jimi Hendrix Expierence,Led Zeppelin and many many more.

Offline   stateofflux

stateofflux

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks

As a kid I listened to 50's stuff - Elvis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, pretty much everything from that era. My mum's sister used to work at a record pressing plant so my Mum had all these old 45's and test pressings.

As an 11yr old I became a Beatles fanatic and listened to every song they ever released.

In the early to mid 80's it was alternative and punk for me, everything from the Exploited through to the Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag, Reagan Youth, Sex Pistols, Adicts, Toy Dolls.

All those things I loved, and still do, but none of them ever made me feel like I could actually play in a band.

Then in about 84 I saw a VHS tape of Rock'n'roll High School at the local video store. I just borrowed it because of the cool looking cover. Then half way through that movie I saw the Ramones play some concert footage and it was like a light going off. I'd heard of the Ramones, but never actually heard them play. The minute Dee Dee yelled out the iconic 1-2-3-4 I was in. The next day I bought the It's Alive double album and wore it out.

It was another 5 years before I actually played in a band, as a strange quirk of fete I played my first gig a fortnight after getting back from New York after seeing my first Ramones gig (even managed to get on the door list for the Ramones gig thanks to a mate of mine giving me Monte Melnicks, their road manager at the time, home number. And once I told him I was coming from Australia and just wanted to know if the Ramones were playing he hooked me up.)

But thanks to the Ramones, their energy and drive and the fact they played music that I loved and yet did not seem so intimidating that I would never play it, that is what got me into playing guitar, well bass in a band.

Since the Ramones it has mainly been bands that I have seen live that have been great inspirations like Rollins Band, Nirvana, Primus, as examples, all of whom I was lucky enough to play gigs with so got to meet them, watch soundcheck etc.

As for current bands, the first new band to grab me in a big way is BabyMetal, BOH has reignited the passion, I realise they are manufactured, but they are one of the freshest most energetics bands in decades

Offline   Raamie

Raamie

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

Black Sabbath, Iron maiden, RATM, TOOL, Pink Floyd, Pantera, 

Bands like that made me want to learn an instrument and I just love the deep sound of a Bass guitar so I decided on that.

Shit Bassist GG WP

Offline   chapmak

chapmak

Hardcore Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationOhio

No so much a band or song, but playing Rockband a few times.  I liked doing that and thought there is probably some software out there to learn how to play a real guitar.   Then the idea faded again until we had our son's B-day at Chuckie Cheese and they had Rockband, and then decided to just DO IT.  So I  here I am about 2 years later and still loving Rocksmith and playing about every day.   Wish they had this about 20 years ago instead of starting in my 40's.

Offline   caseycar5

caseycar5

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

I'd say mostly Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold since i mainly listen to those two bands.

Offline   hellohello

hellohello

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2 thanks

Kirk Hammet and Metallica. To be precise Kirk's solos. Playing them in Guitar Hero was fun, but not enough anymore :)

And already in Rocksmith (as I started to learn how to play with RS2014) - 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson. That song blew my mind. If there is a difficult song I want to master, it's that one. Mr. Fripp is a beast.

While I always liked sound of bass, it was Rocksmith Championship that made me pick one up.

I am a music listener a lot since I was a little kid, I used to play the smurfs in that long plays at 6 or 7. Later at 10 I used to listen to the old records from my father like Glen Miller. Was at 13 that I would like to play battery like Iron Maiden. but my father just grunt in disagreement.

So like you was pretty late in been interested in playing guitar ,after playing Guitar Hero.

At first was fun GH, but later realized how unreal was to play that toy with programmed sounds that really inspired to play guitar for real,so it wasn´t all the music groups that heard before just that silly video game. :P .

Never imagined how hard it would be. So there´s me right now struggling to play guitar right after spending quite some time with RS since almost the first release. So history repeats again somehow like Guitar Hero.Ha,ha,ha. :D :D :D Ah the irony.

Offline   QOTSANINSOADKORN

QOTSANINSOADKORN

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Nine Inch Nails originally...

Beside You In Time - 2007 Live Lineup...

In Recent Years Though it was Gojira

Jean-Michel Labadie = Excellent Bassist

https://www.youtube....h?v=a_wcx0CPJA4

Recent Additions: Various Final Fantasy 7 8 9 , Tim Minchin - So F*cking Rock, Hans Zimmer - Dream Is Collapsing,

Daft Punk - Short Circuit, Forces - BERSERK - Animé - 1997, Korn - Ball Tongue (E Standard Transposed) (Instrumental)

_________________________________________________________________________________

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL... After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =  :)

Offline   QOTSANINSOADKORN

QOTSANINSOADKORN

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Black Sabbath, Iron maiden, RATM, TOOL, Pink Floyd, Pantera, 

Bands like that made me want to learn an instrument and I just love the deep sound of a Bass guitar so I decided on that.

Yes, Iommi & Butler have done so much for music :)

Black Sabbath Live "The End" Tour was Epic as F*CK!!!

Loved every moment of the show...

Recent Additions: Various Final Fantasy 7 8 9 , Tim Minchin - So F*cking Rock, Hans Zimmer - Dream Is Collapsing,

Daft Punk - Short Circuit, Forces - BERSERK - Animé - 1997, Korn - Ball Tongue (E Standard Transposed) (Instrumental)

_________________________________________________________________________________

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL... After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =  :)

Offline   thejukebox

thejukebox

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Joe Satriani.

Offline   oushuehue

oushuehue

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationTurkey

T-Square, amazing jazz/rock fusion band and totally underrated at least out of Japan..

Fear Factory, who can forget that Carmageddon intro

E8MNp9.gif

Offline   The_Missioner

The_Missioner

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationisrael

pink floyd !

Offline   clark4999

clark4999

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationMassachusettes

My inspiration is kinda complicated. Id say the first guitar centric song that made me think "god I wish I could play that" and had me air-guitaring in the shower, was Crazy Train, and that was when I was like 7. But, when I started playing COD zombies and heard the easter egg songs they just blew me away and made me actually want to learn how to play. I heard Im Not Ready To Die by A7x and then got into them and that was the deciding factor, discovering a7x, my all time favorite band. Just listening to syn's solos was enough inspiration to want to learn how to play lol

Offline   Gythral

Gythral

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple/Raindow), Brian May & Jack Bruce (Cream)

Offline   AMOlson

AMOlson

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Rocksmith:PS3

Bass - Rush, Geddy Lee all the way. Grew up with 'em, my first concert was Hold Your Fire. When the most recent generation of rhythm games was about to come out, I thought real hard and decided why bother with a little plastic toy when I could learn to really play. Got a bass and now own 4 of 'em and 2 guitars. Love bass. 

Guitar - A7X, Synyster Gates. Longer story there. Was happy playing bass, but kept looking over the fence wishing I could figure out that chord thing. Then I tried Bat Country on bass and it was fun, listened to some of their stuff, especially Nightmare, and bought the 3 pack. Still on the fence, then I was really bored one afternoon and watched Synyster Gates' master class at Guitar Center. Now THAT is guitar playing, more classical/jazz than chord/chord/chord. Hmmm ... maybe ... ended up with a good guitar with a gift card from buying my fretless and ... yeah. I still swear I'm going to be able to play Afterlife before I die. Just as long as I don't have to play chords.

Offline   riverrat53

riverrat53

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLouisiana
  • PSN:ps4

Always wanted to play guitar, piano. For as a group , has to Pink Floyd, like Elvis and many others. 60"s-90"s. After those years most groups are just want to beees, lol. Young people need to hear what good rock/roll is, songs that have meaning. Most of the groups and song i've heard today are junk. some have put out one or two songs that's good. I guess I am a bald headed hippy, lol

Offline   zyxalis

zyxalis

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

I guess I've been lurking long enough, so my first post will be to be to say my inspiration was Rocksmith itself. 

Playing the guitar has always been on my bucket list, but as ya get older, the stuff on the bottom of the list tends to stay towards the bottom and ya know, there is always a other reason to not spend a few hundred on a new (basically solo) hobby, one that I wasn't even sure I would stick with. (*cough* *cough* Scuba diving..)

So the wife and in-laws were pestering me on thanksgiving about what I would like for Christmas. After going a few rounds trying to convince them that I didn't want/need anything and trying to steer them to spend their money on their grandchild, it basically went down that Rocksmith would be something I most likely would never get for myself but if they insisted, that would be an excellent gift they could get me. I figured once I had the software, I would worry bout picking up a second hand guitar someday.

Well, christmas day, there it was, Rocksmith with the cable *and* from the wife, a brand new Rw Jameson strat knock off!   

Been playing since and I'm really happy with my progress. Keep in mind your talking to a guy that didn't know that you fret adjacent to, not on top of the fret when I started six months ago, to now (finally) being able to fret confidentially without having to look at the neck, is just great! 

I tell people about Rocksmith, and liken it to Golf. You can play all day and just duff it all over the place, but you make one great shot and that's all it will take to get you to come back tomorrow. Finally nailing that riff you've been grinding on, same thing! 

edit: Forgot to add, Epic by Faith no More. Thats the song. If I can 100% that one, then I will say I can play guitar. till then, I'm just messin around.

Offline   david665

david665

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks

I've listened to rock/metal since the '70's, but 1987 was the catalyst year.  There were a lot of great albums that came out that year.  It was a mix of George Lynch on Dokken's Back for the Attack and Vito Bratta on White Lion's Pride that really made me want to play guitar.  George has a spectacular legato and Vito is the staccato side of that coin combined with 2 hand tapping.  Given that, my favorite band for many years is 70's era Black Sabbath.

My tastes have expanded to include 50's music such as Bill Haley, punk like the Misfits and blues ala BB King.

The stuff my band and I was putting together ended up sounding a bit like a Godsmack/Black Sabbath mash-up