Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Photo

Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2649 replies to this topic

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

I had a very strange 'event' today -- I accidentally hit Ctrl-F and it completely screwed up the display -- looked like the 3D preview panel took over. But I couldn't figure out how to back out of it. I had to exit in order to recover -- and lost a ton of work in the process.

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• Rocksmith Custom Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Weird. I imported the lyrics from my RS1 file, tweaked it a bit and added the section markers. Then I added leading silence and I had to move the lyrics back pretty much exactly how much I added to the leading silence (8 beats). Most of the lyrics markers could still be used fortunately, it was missing like 5 of them throughout the song but it seemed like they did move. Just not the lyrics.

I just fixed a bug that causes this, it should work correctly in the next hotfix.

It can't be just that, you need to be able to declare section along with that. I would implement it myself but I just don't know the code that well to start right away.

Why not just declare the section with a section marker instead of beat text? The more elaborate a beat text system gets, ie. "tone:songname_distortion:section:intro:phrase:intro1", the harder it would be for people to use.

I'm not sure why you think that processing external file upon RS export would be harder, I would think otherwise based on the way it is stored in RS XML and that could be done with piece of code dependent only by identifying time of particular beat. If you can point me to relevant functions to calculate beat time I might just do that myself.

I don't see why this would be considered easier or faster than just defining the sections in EOF. As you said, an external text file defining sections would have to have timestamps in it, and then EOF would have to look for errors in the file and handle that gracefully, such as by fixing timestamps by finding the closest beat marker, etc. Doing something like this right would be a fair amount of programming work but I can't see what the benefit would be.

I had a very strange 'event' today -- I accidentally hit Ctrl-F and it completely screwed up the display -- looked like the 3D preview panel took over. But I couldn't figure out how to back out of it. I had to exit in order to recover -- and lost a ton of work in the process.

That keyboard shortcut changes to a full screen style 3D view. Doing the same will return to normal, or alternatively, right clicking on the screen gives that option. Exiting out would have still prompted you whether or not to save changes, so there's no reason you couldn't have done that.

Offline   Xyber

Xyber

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Weird. I imported the lyrics from my RS1 file, tweaked it a bit and added the section markers. Then I added leading silence and I had to move the lyrics back pretty much exactly how much I added to the leading silence (8 beats). Most of the lyrics markers could still be used fortunately, it was missing like 5 of them throughout the song but it seemed like they did move. Just not the lyrics.

I just fixed a bug that causes this, it should work correctly in the next hotfix.

Nice, thanks.

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

That keyboard shortcut changes to a full screen style 3D view. Doing the same will return to normal, or alternatively, right clicking on the screen gives that option. Exiting out would have still prompted you whether or not to save changes, so there's no reason you couldn't have done that.

First thing I tried was CTRL-F again, but it didn't work. I didn't think about right-clicking. When I exited, I chose not to save, in case whatever I'd done would be remembered... It wasn't a huge loss, it only took a couple of minutes to redo what I'd been working on.

One thing though: hitting CTRL-F also changed my display width setting (I have it set to fill the width of the screen, it defaulted back to the maximum resolution in the display list).

Is there a complete list of keyboard commands? I know there's a .txt file with some of them. Maybe you can add this to the Help section?

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,970 posts
If you can find a way to reproduce CTRL+F not changing back or activating another function, let me know, I can't cause such problems to happen. There's not a list of ALL keyboard commands, but eventually when keyboard shortcuts become user-definable, they'll probably be listed in one place.

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,970 posts
Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1302) is in the first post. Changes are as follows: *Updated MIDI tones to take the track's capo placement into account. *Added the ability to open the "Edit pro guitar note" dialog by clicking the middle mouse button (ie. scroll wheel). If no notes are selected, the dialog is opened for the currently moused-over note if any. *Fixed a bug where operations that move all notes (ie. add leading silence, changing the midi delay or first beat position) would cause non pro guitar notes and lyrics to move twice as far as they should. *Fixed a bug where notes with linknext status couldn't extend beyond the next note even when crazy status was in use. *Fixed some problems with how linknext and crazy statuses interact with each other and with tech notes.

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

If you can find a way to reproduce CTRL+F not changing back or activating another function, let me know, I can't cause such problems to happen. There's not a list of ALL keyboard commands, but eventually when keyboard shortcuts become user-definable, they'll probably be listed in one place.

Okay, I'll try... but not in my current project! :eek:

Offline   shrubbery

shrubbery

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Why not just declare the section with a section marker instead of beat text? The more elaborate a beat text system gets, ie. "tone:songname_distortion:section:intro:phrase:intro1", the harder it would be for people to use.

Because there's already phrase name and you can put "section marker" only on measure boundary.  

I don't see why this would be considered easier or faster than just defining the sections in EOF. As you said, an external text file defining sections would have to have timestamps in it, and then EOF would have to look for errors in the file and handle that gracefully, such as by fixing timestamps by finding the closest beat marker, etc. Doing something like this right would be a fair amount of programming work but I can't see what the benefit would be.

Maybe you just don't understand what I mean. Forget it, I'll just make a script that applies it directly to RS XML, I can script that in an hour or less with measure+beat support. edit: I doubt anyone will want it but I made the script (I guess it's not going to work as expected with stock toolkit GUI anyway). I might add another optional field to add offset (positive or negative number) to beat time if it's going to switch tone too late. Switch by phrase or section name would be easy too.

Offline   SmellyOrc

SmellyOrc

I <3 Lyric Sustain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Raynebc, I've found one .gp5 file which does not import some alternate endings correctly.

The file is here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tvvzno

The problem starts at bar 49. In eof, I believe it imports ending #1 again, instead of #2.

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

@raynebc,

I just need a confirmation about sustains on standard chords (without tech notes) :   - the "chordNote" tag has a sustain defaulted to "0.000" except when the "sustain" checkbox is checked   - if the "sustain" checkbox is not checked, the chord duration is based on its "handShape"   - for the majority of chords without tech notes, the "sustain" checkbox doesn't need to be checked

So if I need to compute a sustain for the fundamental note of a chord, I need now to reuse the handShape length (as for RS1) ?

Thanks

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,970 posts
Repost from SA: There's probably not a better way to do it, but the handshape isn't always the length of a chord. As I understand it, all chords in close proximity to each other are meant to be in the same handshape so that the chord repeat lines are drawn. For this reason, it's not always a good indicator for a chord's length, that's not something that RS1 era charts notate. For RS2, it's probably OK to assume no chords have sustain unless the chordNote tags indicate they do.

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,970 posts

Raynebc, I've found one .gp5 file which does not import some alternate endings correctly.

I've fixed this. It should be working in the next hotfix.

Offline   bokkiej

bokkiej

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

r1302 hotfix can't be downloaded using Chrome, it reports it is malicious and download is blocked. Just so you know :)

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,970 posts
Chrome is acting stupidly. It flags it as malicious even though it contains no viruses, for no reason other than it's not a file with a largely-known reputation. If you use a less paranoid web browser like Firefox, it should let you download it more easily. You can then scan it with an antivirus program that works properly. Scan results from 50 different antivirus solutions: https://www.virustot...sis/1394236179/

Offline   bokkiej

bokkiej

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

I wasn't worried :D Did use another browser, it was just to inform you. Nice link btw, didn't know that site.

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

Offline   SmellyOrc

SmellyOrc

I <3 Lyric Sustain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Raynebc, I encountered another bug (or intended behaviour, I don't know, but it just doesn't look right): EoF doesn't write (or at least not always) a handshape tag on new chords if that chord starts out as a string muted chord.

In the game it shows up like this:

Posted Image

It's the string muted repeat after the 3x C5 power chords. In EoF it looks like this:

Posted Image

So my question: Is this intended or is it a bug? If it's intended, can/will you change it?

Offline   SmellyOrc

SmellyOrc

I <3 Lyric Sustain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

One more bug I've encountered: When the lyrics are already in place and I change the bpm on a beat marker with Adjust notes enabled, the lyrics are deleted. Lyric markers are still there, but there's no lyrics. Example project file here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ohvp5b

The lyrics don't get deleted when "Adjust Notes" is not enabled.

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Here's a couple of weirdnesses I encountered:

1) When copying/pasting, the Grid Snap gets lost -- unless I use the Seek-->Next Snap command to place the cursor before pasting. It took me a while to figure this out -- even though I'd line up the pasted notes to the beat marker, most of the notes end up slightly off the beat. (I believe this explains the sync issues I've found in a lot of customs.)  When using the Next Snap command to place the cursor, everything snaps to the grip the way it should.

But I think pasting should default to the grid. Just as I really wish the default behavior of the cursor would be to forward/rewind according to the grid, not to the time.

2) I'm convinced there's a bug in the Note editing function. I believe it's not always accepting the changes I've made -- in fact, I'm certain of this. This morning I decided to remove a number of slides -- I decided they weren't necessary and just cluttered up the screen -- so I selected all of them (using the Like function) and replaced all them in the same way. I then verified that these changes were made throughout the entire piece.

The second example I'm even more certain: I'd changed my mind about a particular chord configuration and had to make the change throughout the entire file. I know I changed each and every instance. When I went to save, I was prompted to correct the hand position for a number of chords -- the exact same chords I thought I just changed! I had to go back through all of them again, this time have to change each one at a time (because of the way the save prompted works).

But this evening when I went to test the package, I discovered that all of these changes hadn't been made at all!

Very discouraging!

I was making these changes using the N function -- alternating between the keyboard and the mouse wheel, depending on which was closer.

I think I'm going to roll back to a previous version : I didn't have this behavior a couple of days ago.

Offline   smirocsmo

smirocsmo

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
thanks raynebc for all the updates :)
:) my 140 Customs + Workshop are here:
http://customsforge....dated-december/

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,970 posts

Raynebc, I encountered another bug (or intended behaviour, I don't know, but it just doesn't look right): EoF doesn't write (or at least not always) a handshape tag on new chords if that chord starts out as a string muted chord.

It's intentional. Fully string muted chords are appended to the previous chord's handshape tag as long as there aren't any single notes separating them. You can force a string muted chord to start its own handshape by applying "crazy" status (ie. select the note and hit the 'T' key).

One more bug I've encountered: When the lyrics are already in place and I change the bpm on a beat marker with Adjust notes enabled, the lyrics are deleted. Lyric markers are still there, but there's no lyrics.

Thanks, I'll check this out.

1) When copying/pasting, the Grid Snap gets lost -- unless I use the Seek-->Next Snap command to place the cursor before pasting.

This is expected behavior, although the grid snap setting isn't being lost, it just isn't lining up with the grid snap positions if the seek position isn't grid snapped when you perform the paste. The first note is pasted starting at where the seek position currently is, like with copying and pasting text into a document.

But I think pasting should default to the grid. Just as I really wish the default behavior of the cursor would be to forward/rewind according to the grid, not to the time.

Feedback input mode seeks based on the current grid snap, but the other input modes do not. Even then, that's why I made those seek controls available via the Pg Up and Pg Dn keys. This is the best way to provide the most flexibility to everybody.

2) I'm convinced there's a bug in the Note editing function.

If you can verify a problem and reproduce it on demand, let me know.

The second example I'm even more certain: I'd changed my mind about a particular chord configuration and had to make the change throughout the entire file. I know I changed each and every instance. When I went to save, I was prompted to correct the hand position for a number of chords

Fret hand positions aren't something that you can manipulate this way. Fret hand position errors would only be given if the track had some permanently stored into the project but the position wasn't considered suitable based on a chord's fretting or fingering. You would either need to delete the hand positions so they get regenerated automatically during save, or edit/generate the positions manually after changing the chords.

But this evening when I went to test the package, I discovered that all of these changes hadn't been made at all!

There could be all sorts of reasons such as the toolkit not being given the updated XML files, or the new song package not replacing the old one in your Rocksmith song folder. Only if the XML file doesn't contain your changes would it be considered a bug in EOF. If you have time to spot check the XML file to see if it doesn't reflect the project, let me know if you find any discrepancies.

I think I'm going to roll back to a previous version : I didn't have this behavior a couple of days ago.

The edit pro guitar note dialog behavior hasn't changed recently. However if you find that the XML files between the two different versions don't match even though the project file is the same, let me know.