Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Any amount helps! Donate to our donation goal to help keep us running.
http://customsforge.com/donate/goal-89-may-donation-goal/

Photo

Latest EOF releases (5-3-2017)

• Please log in to reply
2143 replies to this topic

Offline   shrubbery

shrubbery

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 41 thanks
I just noticed that GP import creates phrases (from measure markers) with blank names. I guess this happens when I remove measure marker and they are just truncated, nevertheless can you just skip section/phrase import if it is blank?

Offline   Pedro Henrique

Pedro Henrique

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • 3 thanks

Donator

When i save there's only Rocksmith 2012 files, no RS2, no "showlights" files aswell. Am i doing something wrong? Using r1298.

Thank you.

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• Rocksmith Custom Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • 689 thanks

I just noticed that GP import creates phrases (from measure markers) with blank names. I guess this happens when I remove measure marker and they are just truncated, nevertheless can you just skip section/phrase import if it is blank?

I don't understand what you mean. Could you provide a Guitar Pro file whose phrases/sections import incorrectly?

When i save there's only Rocksmith 2012 files, no RS2, no "showlights" files aswell. Am i doing something wrong? Using r1298.

Go into File>Preferences an enable the option to save separate Rocksmith 2 files. Showlights XML files are not created anymore, the toolkit does that.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,396 posts
  • 689 thanks
Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1299) is in the first post. Changes are as follows: *Improved RS2 export to support sustain tech notes. *Fixed a crash that could occur when performing a chord name lookup on a fully string muted chord. *Updated the "Correct chord fingering" function to alter the regular notes instead of tech notes. *Disabled the ability to apply fret or finger definitions for tech notes, since they don't use those values. *Fixed a bug where tech view wasn't disabled when importing a Guitar Pro track, which would cause the import to malfunction. *Updated Guitar Pro import to create tech notes for any complex bends defined in the imported track. In an effort to enrage the community, I have gone back to SendSpace. But really, MediaFire wasn't working right in the current stable release of Firefox, and the download counter doesn't work so that's two strikes against it, I'll round up to three just because I already disliked it. Plans for hosting EOF on something besides SendSpace are in the works.

Thanked by 5 Members:

Offline   SmellyOrc

SmellyOrc

I <3 Lyric Sustain

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • 185 thanks
  • Rocksmith:Steam

I don't think that hosting EoF on sendspace is really a problem, since the updates are so small and you only need one file. Even from sendspace it's downloaded in 2 seconds :)

Offline   shrubbery

shrubbery

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 41 thanks
I recently noticed that GP import ignored tremolo (not a big deal in that case but I might want to do some surf stuff), also I think something called ghost notes was not imported (or maybe just not exported in any way to RS XML, but also looked fine, so no big deal too). Are you aware of it? Is there a list of techniques not supported in import/export? Is there a plan to add support for them?

Offline   Alex360

Alex360

Guitar God

• 2,094 posts
  • 305 thanks

I've spotted bug on last EOF builds, when I hit ctrl+X EOF creates string mutes, but on 0 fret instead of setuped frets, can you  implement logic that would fill fret values from previous chord, dunno if its ok to left original shord fret number so use base fret for all used strings... its annoying to check it each time hit that hotkey :)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   Alternity

Alternity

Hardcore Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationMontrĂ©al, QC

Donator

I recently noticed that GP import ignored tremolo (not a big deal in that case but I might want to do some surf stuff), also I think something called ghost notes was not imported (or maybe just not exported in any way to RS XML, but also looked fine, so no big deal too). Are you aware of it? Is there a list of techniques not supported in import/export? Is there a plan to add support for them?

Tremolo strumming imports fine for me. Ghost notes also imports (though they are mostly used for arepggios)... unless this is something fairly new and those are now ignored?
My CDLC Workshop

Feedback is always appreciated! :)

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,396 posts
  • 689 thanks

I recently noticed that GP import ignored tremolo

EOF is actually importing that as a difficulty-specific phrase, ie. it won't show up when the difficulty limit is in effect (ie. the difficulties are named instead of numbered), but if you remove the difficulty limit, it should show up. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse to change this behavior, it depends entirely on how the author is using GP files, some author each difficulty in Guitar Pro, some author only the full transcription.

also I think something called ghost notes was not imported (or maybe just not exported in any way to RS XML, but also looked fine, so no big deal too).

Ghost notes should import from GP files, but they will not export to XML because it's not a supported technique. Grace notes don't import from GP files, but that's not a supported technique in RS either. Without checking all of them right now, I'm pretty sure just about every technique that Rocksmith supports is imported from GP files.

I've spotted bug on last EOF builds, when I hit ctrl+X EOF creates string mutes, but on 0 fret instead of setuped frets

That is expected behavior. CTRL+X indicates all strings are muted and have no specific fret value. You can use the "Toggle string mute" function (SHIFT+X) to preserve the fret values of the note.

can you implement logic that would fill fret values from previous chord, dunno if its ok to left original shord fret number so use base fret for all used strings... its annoying to check it each time hit that hotkey :)

It probably isn't something I'd be able to get around to doing for a while. The to do list is pretty huge.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   Alex360

Alex360

Guitar God

• 2,094 posts
  • 305 thanks

Opps, sry, now I see, need to read keys.txt again :)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   shrubbery

shrubbery

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 41 thanks

EOF is actually importing that as a difficulty-specific phrase, ie. it won't show up when the difficulty limit is in effect (ie. the difficulties are named instead of numbered), but if you remove the difficulty limit, it should show up. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse to change this behavior, it depends entirely on how the author is using GP files, some author each difficulty in Guitar Pro, some author only the full transcription.

I do only full transcription in EOF, I don't modify anything. I import into "Amazing" I guess, EOF starts like that by default, if that's what you mean by named. I'll look around for the tremolo. Do you know about techniques that could be downgraded into something else? Or is there already such conversion? As for more techniques I was not sure about: - "trill" which sounds in MIDI same as tremolo but goes to higher picking frequencies (tremolo 3 levels starting with 1/8 picking, trill has also 3 starting with 1/16 picking so two levels are translatable into tremolo) - slide that goes nowhere, I'm not sure what is that supposed (I think it's exported as 1 fret slide) So additional question is what are RS1/RS2 techniques which can't be imported from GP and do you see a way to do it? For example unpitched slides (I didn't find a way to do that in tab). I can imagine having some technique descriptions for such techniques in text notes and at some point I may write a code to do it (need to think about the format though, how long it can be and there can be a need for having both section name and technique description at single note).

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,396 posts
  • 689 thanks

I do only full transcription in EOF, I don't modify anything. I import into "Amazing" I guess, EOF starts like that by default, if that's what you mean by named. I'll look around for the tremolo.

"Named" is whenever the difficulty limit has not been removed. If you remove the difficulty limit, "Amazing" difficulty becomes difficulty number 3, and the imported tremolo phrase will be visible. I had to make this phrase type able to applied to an individual difficulty instead of the entire track because that's how Rocksmith allows it to be used. In Rock Band, phrases like that apply to the same time range of all difficulties in the track.

Do you know about techniques that could be downgraded into something else? Or is there already such conversion?

I don't understand the question.

- "trill" which sounds in MIDI same as tremolo but goes to higher picking frequencies (tremolo 3 levels starting with 1/8 picking, trill has also 3 starting with 1/16 picking so two levels are translatable into tremolo)

Rocksmith doesn't support that as a specific techniq, you'd have to author all of the hammer ons and pull offs manually.

- slide that goes nowhere, I'm not sure what is that supposed (I think it's exported as 1 fret slide)

Guitar Pro allows you to author these as slides into or out of a note. However, since Rocksmith requires more information than that (ie. the end position of the slide), EOF has to put something in there so it will default to one fret in the appropriate direction if the position is not given.

So additional question is what are RS1/RS2 techniques which can't be imported from GP and do you see a way to do it?

I'm not aware of any. If anybody identifies a relevant technique EOF has missed, let me know.

For example unpitched slides (I didn't find a way to do that in tab).

In Guitar Pro, you can select a note/chord and use the Effects>Slide menu to specify that the note/chord slides in from above/below or to slide out and upwards/downwards. This is the equivalent of unpitched slides in Rocksmith. However since Rocksmith doesn't support an unpitched slide in, EOF converts that as a slide from a lower note.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   shrubbery

shrubbery

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 41 thanks
Thanks for the answers, I will let you know if I bump into more technique import/export issues. I think I saw you mention limitations with chord slides (slide all notes only by same offset?). I am also not aware of a way to add RS-style arpeggios to tab (might be the use case for special text marker description I was talking about). Are there any known chord and chordNotes related limitations?  

Do you know about techniques that could be downgraded into something else? Or is there already such conversion?

I don't understand the question.

I don't have any example but I meant that techniques not supported in RS would be converted into something that makes sense instead of being ignored.  

In Guitar Pro, you can select a note/chord and use the Effects>Slide menu to specify that the note/chord slides in from above/below or to slide out and upwards/downwards. This is the equivalent of unpitched slides in Rocksmith. However since Rocksmith doesn't support an unpitched slide in, EOF converts that as a slide from a lower note.

Not supported in TuxGuitar, I guess... BTW I started making notes about supported/unsupported techniques and issues in my tutorial (if anyone has some input on current state of import, how to tab various techniques or how to replace them with something similar, I will update it accordingly)

Offline   Kent0348

Kent0348

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Hey rayne, is there some sort of guide or manual for utilizing the capo feature yet? I'm kinda confused as to how I'm supposed to author capo arrangements mainly because the chord names and midi tones stay the same, regardless of whether I put a value other than 0 into the "set capo" field..

I'm also getting errors recently trying to import unpacked cdlc arrangements (the log says: "error reading tuning values from XML. Aborting"

Offline   MVega

MVega

Touring Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • LocationFrance

I spent most of yesterday starting to learn to work with EOF... (yes, I read the manual!). Amazing program!

I have a couple questions about the interface:

Is there a way to maximize the app to fit my screen? The maximize button is grayed out. Are you planning to add this? Not only are my eyes 'older' but I'm also colorblind -- the larger I can make the image, the easier it will be to work with. I've changed the display width, of course, but why not just maximize it? (Also, when I tried the 2X option, it crashed the program.)

Also, do you have ways to break out the different panels? I work on two screens, it'd be nice to be able to rearrange elements. Or have one screen for the piano roll and the second for the tech notes piano roll.

I think it would be interesting to have breakout tool panels (like Photoshop, for example), for some of the actions.

Another thing I noticed is that playback stops if EOF is no longer the active screen -- I was trying to compare the song in EOF to another version of the same song. Is this a feature?

Lastly, is there a manual/how-to for working with notes? The tutorial only covers placing gems, but these aren't actually notes.

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,396 posts
  • 689 thanks

I think I saw you mention limitations with chord slides (slide all notes only by same offset?).

The standard behavior for chords with slide technique in EOF is for all of the fretted notes to slide the same number of frets. You would have to use tech notes to manually set the end slide position of strings if you wanted to override this.  

I am also not aware of a way to add RS-style arpeggios to tab (might be the use case for special text marker description I was talking about).

I'm not sure if there's a good way to "fake" authoring something like this in Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar, it would probably be more complicated than just adding the arpeggio notation in EOF.  

Are there any known chord and chordNotes related limitations?

Like what? The biggest one I can think of right now is that as of the current revision, EOF won't allow you to define a chord where the strings have different sustain lengths. I'm working on another status that will allow you to place tech notes to define the stop position of individual strings in a chord.  

I don't have any example but I meant that techniques not supported in RS would be converted into something that makes sense instead of being ignored.

I suppose with things like grace notes or trills, Guitar Pro doens't define the notes you hear during playback in the tab, they're just techniques that are applied. I'd prefer not to have EOF add notes that aren't explicitly defined.  

Hey rayne, is there some sort of guide or manual for utilizing the capo feature yet?

Just what's in the EOF manual. You set the capo position and then EOF handles the rest.  

I'm kinda confused as to how I'm supposed to author capo arrangements mainly because the chord names and midi tones stay the same, regardless of whether I put a value other than 0 into the "set capo" field..

This is most likely the option to ignore the tuning/capo setting that forces chords to be named as if the guitar was in standard tuning with no capo. Some musicians prefer this. If you see the C=# indication at the left edge of the piano roll, then the capo is in effect.  

I'm also getting errors recently trying to import unpacked cdlc arrangements (the log says: "error reading tuning values from XML. Aborting"

I'd probably have to see the XML file, it may not be correct.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,396 posts
  • 689 thanks

Double post because the forum didn't seem to allow me to make a big post with this included with the previous one:

Is there a way to maximize the app to fit my screen? The maximize button is grayed out. Are you planning to add this? Not only are my eyes 'older' but I'm also colorblind -- the larger I can make the image, the easier it will be to work with. I've changed the display width, of course, but why not just maximize it? (Also, when I tried the 2X option, it crashed the program.)
There is no good way to make that maximize button work, complications involved with the Allegro game library that EOF uses. I haven't seen a way to have the x2 feature crash. Are you sure the program crashes or EOF just says that it couldn't set the display size and it reverts back? Your computer's screen resolution will have to actually be big enough to fit the entire EOF window or else EOF won't be able to set the window size and will revert to the previous size. You may have to set the default screen size of 640x480 and go from there, trying to set the x2 zoom, then trying to set a custom window width to use up more room on your screen.  

Also, do you have ways to break out the different panels? I work on two screens, it'd be nice to be able to rearrange elements. Or have one screen for the piano roll and the second for the tech notes piano roll.
There's also no easy way to do this. EOF isn't developed with graphical libraries that make this sort of thing easy. That said, you can enable the secondary piano roll, which would allow you to display the regular notes in the bottom piano roll and the tech notes in the top one.  

Another thing I noticed is that playback stops if EOF is no longer the active screen -- I was trying to compare the song in EOF to another version of the same song. Is this a feature?
This is intentional behavior. You won't be able to play back the audio in two different EOF instances at the same time, unless you're using multiple computers or something. If you wanted though, you could load a different OGG file as the chart audio (File>Load OGG) and play the chart back, so you can see what the tablature would look like with that audio.  

Lastly, is there a manual/how-to for working with notes? The tutorial only covers placing gems, but these aren't actually notes.
The tutorial covers the foundational concepts of working with and manipulating notes, and the pro guitar tutorial covers the jump into real guitar arrangements. Those two should get you started.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   shrubbery

shrubbery

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 41 thanks

I bumped into GPA sync import bug (maybe not a bug but something EOF didn't complain loudly about). I found out it happens when start of first measure comes at -N seconds because there is steady BPM between 0 and first link but too little actual time. The result was that measures started shifted and by measure 15/16 it got to where they were supposed to be.

I tried to fix that by setting first measure at 0 and actualy placed it at slightly before 0 which caused EOF to complain about malformed XML (negative time), that's another bug. When I placed it slightly after 0, EOF set delay to 6 and everything matches. I've never seen delay after GPA import so probably all of my customs are affected?

So EOF should not import when this happens or fix it automatically (I was actually thinking if negative delay would be possible, that could be useful in some cases too and also would fix this).

update: it seems that not allowing to convert the delay caused riff repeater section weirdness, I am not able to select first section... (actually the second section appears to be first section, just weird) never mind, it was caused by blank phrase names again

Online   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• 2,396 posts
  • 689 thanks

I can't make any guarantees, but if you can send me an example GPA file that has a negative timestamp, I'll see if there's a good way for EOF to handle that.  If not, I can ensure EOF complains about it more overtly.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   shrubbery

shrubbery

Expert Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • 41 thanks

I can't make any guarantees, but if you can send me an example GPA file that has a negative timestamp, I'll see if there's a good way for EOF to handle that.  If not, I can ensure EOF complains about it more overtly.

That was not a point. The point is when start of first measure falls before zero (there is no actual link there), EOF will silently shift it to 0 and I don't really understand what happens because between measure 1 and 16 this shift is slowly corrected.  I'm sending you an example, you can compare sync times with actual EOF measure times and see and hear for yourself.

BTW you have yet to push the blank phrase fix