Welcome to CustomsForge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Donate

Don't forget to join our Partnered Discord, like us on Facebook and Twitter!
Donate to our monthly goal to keep us running.

Photo

What do you sit on when you play, besides your ass?

Sore Ass Numb Ass

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Offline   manchot66

manchot66

Jon Snow's Father

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • 158 thanks
  • LocationChicago
  • Rocksmith:Steam

I'm wondering what people use to sit on when they play.  I've tried a couple different chairs, but they all seem uncomfortable in some way or another, i.e. armrests in the way, too tall, too short, etc.  My ass gets sore and numb with long sessions of sitting and I wonder if there's something better out there I should be using.  Any suggestions?

0hOAbRe.png

Offline   tron001

tron001

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • 78 thanks
  • LocationItaly

I'm just playing   standing up and trying some rockstar wannabe moves. :D

Well, at the end i think that the most comfortable chair is that one without armrests.

Sometimes i played laying on bed but i can't play with accuracy. :lol:

Nice topic.

Offline   Rockinbiscuit

Rockinbiscuit

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationUK

I sit on a Gretsch guitar bar stool:

IMG_0808Copy.jpg
IMG_0810Copy.jpg

There are fender ones, Gibson ones, loads of different designs.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/search

The one I have and most the others cost around £70, but Thomann do one f or £35

http://www.thomann.d...ool_passion.htm

They are typically 24" or 30" high, I'm 6'1", have the 24" version and have my left leg on the floor and my right leg up on the bar to rest my guitar on.

My mother is around 5'4" and sits comfortably with both feet on the bar.

I went for one as I used one in a music store and I'm rather a 'large' man, and found them to be comfortable and strong enough to hold my weight. They can be a bit pricy, but the build quality and strength is brilliant.

I don't have a Gretsch, I have Gibson, Ibanez and Washburn, I just preferred the 'country' vibe this design had :)

tris

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   Hostilian

Hostilian

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Steam Profile

Donator

Same as me.. I have a leather office-type chair, with armrests (which are a pain).

I have been looking at the same Gretsch stool (above) online last week as it happens, though I believe it's not actually leather?

Offline   Rockinbiscuit

Rockinbiscuit

Expert Guitarist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationUK

Nope, it's not actually leather, it's a commercial made vinyl with a leather effect.... including the stitching effect. It's a pretty rigid and tough vinyl and I have two cats who have tried to claw at it and they haven't got very far yet, not even a scratch :)

tris

Offline   snowdog

snowdog

Master Guitarist

• Day One Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationTottenham (aka Beirut), North London

Donator

Those sitting down whilst playing may find it useful to sit with your legs slightly apart and have the guitar resting between your legs, 'classical style'. Why..? Because when sitting in this way with your back straight this brings the neck and body of the guitar in the exact same position that they would be in if you were standing up and using a guitar strap.  :)

Offline   Wepeel

Wepeel

International Mac Help Desk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • 132 thanks

I use the Quick Lok guitar seat.  I really like it because it's fully adjustable at the foot rest, seat, and back rest.  Plus it folds up when I'm not using it.

It's extremely comfortable and keeps my back nice and straight, which keeps my shoulder from getting fatigued.  It also keeps both my feet off the floor so I'm not slouching all the time while I play.  I can usually sit for about 2-3 hours before my ass starts to get sore, and it's only minor soreness.

quiklok-dx-749-height-adjustable-musicia

Thanked by 1 Member:

Offline   WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks

I need to get a good stool.  I just sit on an ottoman or my desk chair most times.

Offline   Diabulous

Diabulous

Beginner Guitarist

• Magna Charter
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationU.S.A
  • Rocksmith:XBOX 360
  • XBOX:Asian Africa

I use the Quick Lok guitar seat.  I really like it because it's fully adjustable at the foot rest, seat, and back rest.  Plus it folds up when I'm not using it.

It's extremely comfortable and keeps my back nice and straight, which keeps my shoulder from getting fatigued.  It also keeps both my feet off the floor so I'm not slouching all the time while I play.  I can usually sit for about 2-3 hours before my ass starts to get sore, and it's only minor soreness.

quiklok-dx-749-height-adjustable-musicia

might have to get one of these as i use an old beat up paino chair.

Offline   flyingturtle

flyingturtle

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • 5 thanks

Well, since I started out as a drummer, I just sit on drum thrones while playing guitar. You can adjust the height and you can find used ones everywhere.

Offline   raynebc

raynebc

Guitar God

• Rocksmith Custom Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • 703 thanks
I use a Gibraltar drum throne.

Offline   ijustdontgiveaf

ijustdontgiveaf

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Rocksmith:PS3

Donator

5113044+_467b34e6803bb2a9f38b7e753bfbaad

no, currently on either a leather chair (with arm rests, which are really annoying), or a similar big chair without rests when i'm upstairs, or my couch..

need to get something like this quick lock seat soon

Offline   manchot66

manchot66

Jon Snow's Father

• Magna Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • 158 thanks
  • LocationChicago

Do the people who use a drum throne wish they had a backrest?  I've narrowed down some choices for a new seat but can't decide if I should go with something with a backrest or not.

0hOAbRe.png

Offline   CoSunshine

CoSunshine

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks

I don’t sit. I’ve found that standing helps keep playing from aggravating my carpal tunnel problems. It also makes it easier to hit high notes.

For those of you who do need to sit, I recommend buying an adjustable-height drafting chair from an art supply store. They’re tall, comfortable, have a footrest, and there are no armrests to get in the way. They also pair well with standing desks if you use one of those for your computer.

Online   Smash54

Smash54

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
I have a bad neck and back tons of surgeries. I sit on a couch with something holding my neck. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline   wrentheseedling

wrentheseedling

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWashington State

I use a gibraltar drum throne personally, got it pretty cheap and it's pretty comfortable if I'm sitting with either my guitar or bass for an extended period.  I don't use a back support on it, but they do sell one that attaches to most of their thrones.

Xy8rc69.jpg

Offline   Goranpaa

Goranpaa

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Because of my old right leg injury, I have to sit when playing. I have a leather office chair with a normal hight back rest. But the arm rests are quite low and short and have  rounded ends, so they do not interfere with playing the guitar. Besides, I also sit on an additional chair duvet. I spend quite many hours in this chair daily and still do not feel sore.