Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Announcements

We need our donation goal completed asap! Click here to donate. Any amount helps. $400 Left!
We'll be at MAGFest 2019! Come and meet us.
We're always looking for Volunteers. At the moment we're looking for volunteers for the following positions: Moderators, Newsletter/Social Media Staff, Bootstrap/jQuery/Datatables Developer, PHP/MySQL/Laravel Developer, C# / .net Developer, NGINX/PHP-FPM Server Administrator, Graphic Design Artist. If you think you have what it takes please fill out our form. Our main priority is finding another datatables/bootstrap/jquery developer. You can apply for all the positions here: https://goo.gl/forms/yWt0FX8GQGie3WGG2
Join us on: Discord | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon | Merch (Now Offering International Shipping!) [+Stickers, Mugs, etc!] | Report Bad Ads

Photo

What is the most underrated band(s)?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Offline   moonshyne

moonshyne

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

I like a lot of different types of music, but Guttermouth would have to be one of my favorite bands that never made a hit in the mainstream, that i know of, but continue to tour to this day. Every time that I have gone to one of their shows, there was always a packed crowd that sang along with all of their songs. They probably didn't hit mainstream because they could be classified as offensive, but they are one of the best that have always been overlooked in my opinion. So, if their are people willing to make more customs of their song, it would be much appreciated.

Offline   richomat

richomat

Master Guitarist

• Day One Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • 22 thanks

Steam Profile

Bands that fit into the symphonic metal genre such as Nightwish and Within Temptation.  I say this because it seems like I can't talk to anybody about these bands without getting a strange look because they've never heard of them.

NIghtwish is HUGE in Scandinavia, and Within Temptation is also a well known band here.

Yeah but I wish these bands would be well known in America.  I honestly believe these bands could sell out 10,000 seat arenas over here but they end up playing in small venues.

Nightwish is also well known in Germany. The album Dark Passion was No. 1 in the Album-Charts.

Offline   zanzibarnights

zanzibarnights

Expert Guitarist

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • 5 thanks

Donator

Wilco

Offline   assbecile4

assbecile4

Hardcore Guitarist

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 2 thanks

the velvet underground

the pretty things

Online   t4ct1c4l_j0k3r

t4ct1c4l_j0k3r

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • 2 thanks

Donator

I think alot of this has to do with when and where you were geographically during whatever scene was relevant. What may be another Saturday night in Denmark might be a once in a lifetime event for someone in the states. Also keep in mind that genre plays a big part here as well. Are we talking rock and roll or death metal? If the latter, then Death. Easily hands down was probably the most influential and unrecognized at the time period. I know looking back now the internet is full of stuff about them, but it wasn't anything like this back in the late 80's and early 90's before everyone had a puter. Where you did alot of reading fanzines and bar schedules, and word of mouth was everything.

Offline   lilstrats

lilstrats

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • 8 thanks

Donator

Honestly, IMHO...

Budgie

Check out their album "Never Turn Your Back on a Friend"

Online   Rodman

Rodman

L64 R66 B72

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts
  • 263 thanks

User's Awards

Sucessfull but though massively underrated:
White Zombie - give it a shot ( Black sunshine or anything... )

Offline   Shredded_PvP

Shredded_PvP

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

I would say Black Veil Brides. Sweet guitar parts.

Offline   madzillagd

madzillagd

Beginner Guitarist

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • 3 thanks

Donator

I pretty much only listen to Spotify so I'm sort of out of the loop on what's rated vs underrated.  A few bands that I'm surprised more folks don't seem to listen to are: We Were Promised Jetpacks, Kvelertak, and The Kooks.  WWPJ is just solid straight forward rock.  Kvelertak is great mixture of rock metal and they do a great job of paying homage to other bands.  The Kooks just make great, simple pop songs.  

Offline   theoogy70

theoogy70

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • 11 thanks

Young Fathers are a very underrated group

Awesome song

also baroness is amazing

and USA out of Vietnam

also Edge of sanity

These are pretty underrated / over shadowed by their contemporaries.

Offline   cstewart

cstewart

Master Guitarist

• Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • 67 thanks

As far as 90's punk goes, Offspring and Green Day got all the attention but in my opinion the Swingin Utters and Rancid should have.

Also, Social Distortion.

Offline   diamonddog

diamonddog

Hardcore Guitarist

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 3 thanks

wow, alot of bands already listed make it to my favorites list.

but underrated? i'm not sure I would have wanted them to make it to the mainstream. imagine everyone being into bands like the Cult, sisters of mercy, nick cave etc. that would have ruined it for me.

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• 3,928 posts
  • 554 thanks

Donator

but underrated? i'm not sure I would have wanted them to make it to the mainstream. imagine everyone being into bands like the Cult, sisters of mercy, nick cave etc. that would have ruined it for me.

Why other people opinions matter in your own appreciation of music? The fact that you like it or not should not be dictated by others opinion about it...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   zanzibarnights

zanzibarnights

Expert Guitarist

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • 5 thanks

Donator

Ween

Offline   diamonddog

diamonddog

Hardcore Guitarist

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • 3 thanks

Why other people opinions matter in your own appreciation of music? The fact that you like it or not should not be dictated by others opinion about it...

because the mainstream have pretty shit tastes in music, hence groups like spice girls,nsync, michael bolton, and shows like idol, popstars, the voice and anyone who has ever been on shows of the like. examples of  pandering to the mainstream.

If that mainstream started to like the same music tastes as me I would have to reconsider my taste in music completely.

Offline   HeavyMetalero90

HeavyMetalero90

Touring Guitarist

• Charter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • 124 thanks

S.A.D.O. : 

Railway : 

Raven : 

My guitar covers,livestreams,gameplays & more (new channel): https://www.youtube....yMetalero90HM90

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeavyMetalero90

Accept Discography Project: http://customsforge....c/19997-accept/

Offline   punchyrumble

punchyrumble

Expert Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • 2 thanks

Donator

I think it's similar to country music. Where in the US country artists especially the more modern ones like Brantley Gilbert, Luke Bryan, Kenny Chesney, etc will sell out huge stadiums. But they usually won't even tour in Europe, and if they did probably would only play small venues. 

Sure maybe you've got some fans of American country music in Germany or Austria but I'd doubt it's very much. ;)

I think a lot of 80s rock bands (especially Melodirock) that went over "Big in Japan" were underrated in much of the rest of the world like Scorpions, Mr. Big, Night Ranger and Toto.

Though I think the most underrated band of the last 5 years is either Brother Firetribe. All of their albums are great! Diamond in the Firepit was a great surprise this year, probably in my top 5 albums of 2014.

Bands that fit into the symphonic metal genre such as Nightwish and Within Temptation.  I say this because it seems like I can't talk to anybody about these bands without getting a strange look because they've never heard of them.

NIghtwish is HUGE in Scandinavia, and Within Temptation is also a well known band here.

Yeah but I wish these bands would be well known in America.  I honestly believe these bands could sell out 10,000 seat arenas over here but they end up playing in small venues.

Offline   Michael

Michael

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • 7 thanks

Iced Earth

Nightwish

Dream Theater

Stratovarius

Less Than Jake

im sure i have several other bands that just dont come to mind at the moment, but they are all most likely bands you may find on satelite radio and never on FM stations.

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• 3,928 posts
  • 554 thanks

Donator

If you have to list all the band that you won't hear on FM radio. You're not finished (all experimental and metal aren't really represented on radio.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   Chlipouni

Chlipouni

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • 318 thanks
The Wildhearts (Earth vs The Wildhearts)
Skyclad (Prince of the Poverty Line)

If you never heard these two albums, check them out ...