How do you spend your time in RS?

Vathau

Question

So I'm curious when in RS what modes do you mainly use? I'll start:

Learn a song - 75%

Score Attack - 20%

Gruitarcade - 0%

Lessons - 5%

I like the fact that score attack has only 3 (not counting master mode) difficulties, I like this better than the learn a song counterpart where the song keeps changing and often changes the difficulty to slow or too fast. However I still use learn a song mostly because of two reasons, 1) the annoying beeps and buzzers that you hear in score attack and 2) for some reason I find the score attack song list less nice than the one of learn a song (recently found that you can start score attack from the learn a song menu so this is actually a non-issue).

So what do you do and why do you do that?

edit: forgot about lessons.

Edited by Vathau

Am really surprised that there aren't more people taking advantage of Session Mode tbh. For my money it's the best thing about Rocksmith 2014. If they have time signature options for the next version of the game I'm going to be in heaven!

• Like 1

Am really surprised that there aren't more people taking advantage of Session Mode tbh. For my money it's the best thing about Rocksmith 2014. If they have time signature options for the next version of the game I'm going to be in heaven!

As soon as I got off my duff and dove into Session Mode, I'm hooked.  Some questions that I've had for months and months regarding scales, and more advanced playing styles were answered in the matter of one weekend.  It's an amazing tool.

Now if only my fingers could do what my brain tells them to....

As soon as I got off my duff and dove into Session Mode, I'm hooked.  Some questions that I've had for months and months regarding scales, and more advanced playing styles were answered in the matter of one weekend.  It's an amazing tool.

Now if only my fingers could do what my brain tells them to....

Yup, I'm exactly the same. I'd love to be able to play more Rock and Heavy Rock stuff but I haven't got the speed necessary to do it justice yet so mostly play Blues and a little bit of Funk. Wish I could use an expression pedal for the latter though.

Sure, session mode could be excellent. But the way it was implemented is just ... well, kind of lame. The fact that it never tells you what chord progressions the 'band' is playing makes it really difficult to play along. So you can't build riffs or anything rhythmic. About all you can do is wank off on endless guitar solos. They could easily have given us a ticker of the chords we're supposed to play, instead of the dynamic meters (which doesn't really work, at least not with my guitar).

And a lot of the chord progressions just seem way too random. There are dozens of standard rock chord progressions to choose from. Apart from a 12-bar blues progression, session mode just ignores this.

I'm still hopeful they'll upgrade the session mode to be useful.  But it's been six months since the game's release... they still have fixed all the bugs.

100% learn a song. The more interesting question is if I spend more time playing bass or guitar. Right now it's probably 90% bass, but in a week the reverse might be true. I personally believe in improving by just playing a varied array of materials. Might not be the fastest approach but it is fun :)

So my question is...

When one is spending time in Learn A Song, is it better to stick with one song until you've got it down or is it better to jump around different songs?

Depends on who you are and what you're trying to do.

There's something to be said for just learning riffs and not worrying about the entire song. That's the way my son's learning guitar (from a teacher).

Personally, I work on a song until I've learned the entire arrangement at 100% difficulty -- which doesn't mean I'm able to play it at 100% speed. Depending on the song, this can take me a few days or even a couple of weeks. Then I'll keep practicing that song while I learn the next. Eventually, I'm practicing a bunch of songs at a time. At a certain point, though, I'll dump those and move on to a new batch.

But I'm tempted to give the 'just the riffs' method a try too.

So my question is...

When one is spending time in Learn A Song, is it better to stick with one song until you've got it down or is it better to jump around different songs?

i never repeat a song and i don't use the riff repeater. same way i learned to play expert drums in rock band. just play through a song once, next time i came back to it (sometimes months later) new things clicked and i improved. 

I am surprised a lot of people don't use guitarcade much.  I usually use it to warm up.  Then I usually always end with song practice.  Lately I have been playing songs I don't normally play.I rarely use session mode.  It is really not set up for the music I like to play nor the tunings I like to use.Once I start getting better at songs, then I try a new lesson.  I usually make it a challenge to get 100% on a practice lesson.When I get really good on a song, I will score attack it on hard or expert.  I usually dont bother with easy or medium.

I found guitarcade a huge help at first. I find I don't use it as much now though.

Same here. At first I mostly used it to find my way around the guitar, especially hitting the right strings. I think I tried most of the games, but those are the ones I used the most. When I got the hang of that, I preferred to practice stuff like slides and chords in real songs. Was/is more exciting, imho.

• Like 1

I think maybe I spend my time like this:

65% Learn a Song

5% Non-Stop

15% Tone Dessigner

5% Score Attack

5% Games/Lessons

And for all the time that I have, the 75% is for play and the 25% for make new customs (because of this is that I have a great % on tone Dessigner)

All my Customs here: Sirandok's CDLC  Total of Customs: 166 Last Update: Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting

"Music is Life"