Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Announcements:

We're in the middle of finishing up Ignition4 development and need your help with donations to keep our development services running. The goal also pays for our servers & other CF services we use. Any amount helps: click here to donate.

Join us on Discord | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon | Merch | Volunteer | Newsletter Issue 10 (Aug) [Special Tool Edition] w/ New Ignition Preview

Photo

Playing bass thru Amp, to PC? Can this be done and what gear do I need?

- - - - - Amp to PC bass amp to pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Offline   FAAmecanic

FAAmecanic

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Hey all!

Sorry if this question has been asked 100 times, tried to search but couldn't really find a match... (my lack of search parameter skills more than likely)

But as the title states, I would like to play my bass thru my amp, then thru my PC.  Can this be done?  And if so what gear do I need?

I want to do it this way as it is hard to hear my Bass thru Rocksmith.  And I have noticed if I THINK I sound good in RS, then plug into my amp... the amp REALLY accentuates those areas where I DO NOT sound as good as I think I do!

Any help would be awesome....thanks in advance all!

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • 585 thanks

Donator

The easiest method is to split the signal right after the bass with an ABY pedal with one output going to the amp and the other to the PC for RS.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   FAAmecanic

FAAmecanic

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Thanks...

So will the below work?   Im thinking you plug the bass into the Input, the Real Tone cable into the THRU put, and the amp into the output b or a...

https://www.sweetwat...y0aArBdEALw_wcB

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

• Administrator

• 4,152 posts
  • 585 thanks

Donator

Yeah. One thing to be cautious about with loop pedal that don't have ground lift is that you might end up with noise under certain circumstances but it's hard to predict if you'll get ground loop issue or not.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Offline   WndwLicker

WndwLicker

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

Pretty sure i'm not answering this correctly, but I use a 2 speaker with a subwoofer with a bass knob to adjust. I play bass guitar so it suits me. It's not an expensive set either, its actually speakers from 1999. When mine broke a couple years ago, long and behold, i found a used set in the thrift store. Love these. brand is called harman/kardon.

Offline   FAAmecanic

FAAmecanic

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Hey Wndwlicker...lol at name...   I play bass as well.  I currently have a Ampeg BA112 studio Amp, which is why I want to use that, but still have a feed going thru my PC for Rocksmith as well.   I noticed while playing a song I THOUGHT I had down thru Rocksmith PC, when I played thru my Amp I was sloppy as hell.   So rather than learn bad habits because I cant hear them that well thru PC, I want to play thru amp so all the nasties can be addressed as soon as I hear them!

firekorn...ya I did hear groundloop can be a problem. But for now I dont use any effects pedals, only the built in EQ and distortion I have in my amp.  So I will just have to experiment.  I also read going from guitar > a decent inline tuner > ABY can eliminate that ground loop.

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

• Administrator

• 4,152 posts
  • 585 thanks

Donator

Ground loop can only be eliminated by cutting off the ground in the cable which a tuner should not do.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Offline   Netrngr

Netrngr

Hardcore Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • 1 thanks

Donator

There are 3 ways to do it...

1) If your amp has a send / rec port for an effects loop you can plug the RS cable into the send but be careful because you can overpower the cable.

2) Add a DI with two output ports to your pedalboard. I have the MXR M80 Di and run the RS Cable out of the second output( clean ) while the primary with the built in boost/ distortion goes to my amp.

3) (Cheapest and simplest) Use the A/B/Y pedal. As Fire said though get one with a ground lift so you can kill any buzzing you may get from grounding issues with the power.  

Offline   FAAmecanic

FAAmecanic

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Any suggestions for a good A/BY pedal with ground lift?  I like this option being as its the "Cheapest and Simplest"!

I was looking at this  https://www.sweetwat...ss-switch-pedal   but if there is something cheaper but just as good Im all ears!