Anyone else here use their amp to play Rocksmith?

Atrimn

Question

If you have an amp and you aren't using it to play Rocksmith, I really recommend you do! I think it makes a huge difference... especially if you're playing bass and want more of it. For the last 4 months I've been using my amp to play and I would never go back to playing RS without it :D.

The setup I have is simple as all I use is a Y cable, which apparently has gone up in price since I bought it a few months ago for $1.99. You connect your amp in one side and the Real tone cable on the other and then plug it to your guitar or bass. If you have the cash there's other options like Morley ABY Selector... Just giving an example since I haven't use that one myself.

If you get ground loop here's some info to counter that: http://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/20iqw8/having_trouble_using_guitar_amp_as_speaker_for/cg3msod

• Like 4

Tc_Ski, ive done the same thing but with the big shot, ive had a problem. Either the noise was going through my tube amp or in the game. But that noise could have messed up the note detection. (i set the guitar volume at 0% in the game too)

This is actualy why they made the Twin-City, to avoid these unwanted noise our groundloop. (that usb cable is creating a ground loop  i think and thats where the problem is from)

Radial ToneBone Twin-City ABY is definitely the premium product with the best noise reduction capability (also the premium price).  I may just be lucky with my setup combination that I'm not getting any noise.

The only area I've noticed any issue with note recognition in RockSmith with my setup is "two-hand tapping".  It seems if I plug guitar direct to PC with RS USB cable, it yields better note detection for two-hand tapping.  This is with limited testing, only using the practice track from the lesson section. 

I tried this about 6 months ago with the y splitter cable on the guitar and I also ran one on my computers sound and ran it into the line in on my amp. I had a lot of problems and stopped. After I was reading this thread I was wondering has anyone just tried to use the boss tuner pedal (Boss TU-3) for the splitting the signal? I will try shortly and report back on how it works?

I just hooked upped the Boss TU-2 tuner pedal. I used one output for rocksmith and the other one (bypass) for my guitar amp. It seemed to work pretty good. So if you have a boss tuner pedal with two outputs that could be an option. I can't believe I didn't think of this 6 months ago instead of buying a y splitter for my guitar cable that didn't work too well. Glad I read this thread, Thanks guys!

The key to this working effectively is to have something that has features designed-in that can combat the noise effects from ground loops and electrical phase conflicts with the amplifier.  A lot of good technical info on the links below that can explain it properly.

http://www.radialeng.com/bigshotaby.php

http://www.tonebone.com/twincity.php

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby-detail.htm

Ground loop noise occurs when more electric items have their ground circuits colliding with each other.

That's where ground lifts come into action, as they detach one ground circuit,

Which ought to be safe, as the lifted item gets grounded by the circuit of the other item.

It may even be dangerous to play with ground noise.

The solutions exposed here are probably working, but they are expensive, only a chromatic tuner, amp switcher.

another pedal, more cables.

Also remember that the output to the PC must be clean, raw, not transformed,

it must bypass any modification of pedals to allow RS to recognize the notes.

Ground loop noise occurs when more electric items have their ground circuits colliding with each other.

That's where ground lifts come into action, as they detach one ground circuit,

Which ought to be safe, as the lifted item gets grounded by the circuit of the other item.

It may even be dangerous to play with ground noise.

The solutions exposed here are probably working, but they are expensive, only a chromatic tuner, amp switcher.

another pedal, more cables.

Also remember that the output to the PC must be clean, raw, not transformed,

it must bypass any modification of pedals to allow RS to recognize the notes.

Yeah I'm sure it probably wasnt grounded properly when I tried the y cable splitter. I tried the cheapiest cables I could find. I wasnt suggesting anyone go buy a $100 pedal to split the signal but I know a few people might already have the boss tuner pedal. Just putting it out there as an easy option if you already have it.

This is exactly the setup and discussion I was asking about, but nobody responded...

If you want to split your input and use an amp, one solution is to use a Lehle P-Split (I also use a Sunday Driver in the chain) and it works great.  I turn down the sound for the guitar in the game and only use my amp.  If I want effects, I just take that second signal and run it through guitar rig or physical pedals....

Guys some great help on this topic as I was struggling to find a solution to play RS-14 through my Marshall core 25 amp, Donator your a star mate I have bought the Y-cable (UK) Amazon works fine I have a little humming noise but I can live with that, it's worse though when I have some of the effects/amp setting on the Core 24 module amp so have to play around a little with some of the settings.

Question is not too sue if I can do this but could I have it run through my Boss RC30 looper.

Anyway I can live with playing with the Y-cable if I cant.

Thanks again guys 

I've noticed I can hear my guitars much better when I swap my output from the computer soundcard to my little beringer thing (U-phoria UMC22), don't actually need the splitter from some reason.  I just go straight from the output/monitor jack into the amp instrument input. Works for me at least.  Bought the Beringer originally so I could record and play back my guitar with better quality, but the output is quite good as well.

--Wren

I found out that it's the power in my building.

the same intense noise started again last night when i had my schecter hellraiser and the rocksmith cable plugged into the ABY box.  then i unplugged the power from my laptop and the noise completely stopped.  

verified its the same if 2 amps and not the laptop is plugged in...

some other issue entirely :/ have no idea how to fix it.  Going to have to do some intense research.

I generally try to play on clean too, but sometimes i like to lie to myself ;)

Get a UPS?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂