Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Announcements:

We're in the middle of finishing up Ignition4 development and need your help with donations to keep our development services running. The goal also pays for our servers & other CF services we use. Any amount helps: click here to donate.

Join us on Discord | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon | Merch | Volunteer | Newsletter Issue 10 (Aug) [Special Tool Edition] w/ New Ignition Preview

Photo

Can you name the song that piqued your interest in guitar?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Offline   steroma

steroma

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • 5 thanks

Not really a song...

The Red Hot Chili Peppers gave me the interest in guitar playing. And If I had to be more precise, I'd said the "Sex blood sugar and magic" album, and to be more precise the "suck my kiss" song.

To be honest, at this time, I was thinking that the Fleas's main riff of suck my kiss was played buy a guitar lol...

I should have bought a bass AH, AH!!!

Offline   NoonyDeloony

NoonyDeloony

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • 24 thanks

Steam Profile

Zoom, by Fat Larry's Band. It's still my all time favourite song but the bass line in it is just lovely, like a heartbeat and it generally just makes me feel happy to hear it :).  When I was a kid though, I decided to get a guitar (no idea why the bass never crossed my mind back then when purchasing a guitar o.O.) but I'd have to say, Dreamline by Rush from the Roll the Bones album. It's fecking amazing! It's massively atmospheric that tune, made me feel like I was outside in the cold night, escaping a filthy town of stray dogs and smog. The rhythm makes it a great track to run to and the lyrics so descriptive, when I first heard it I felt like I was reading an epic novel, and didn't put the album down for at least a year. I still have the copy I recorded off of my friend Andy's (Thanks Andy for introducing me to the most amazing band on the planet, wherever you are! ) original cassette ... not sure it is still playable, it has wine on it :)

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube....yDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

Offline   justgimmethefunk

justgimmethefunk

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • 144 thanks

Donator

It wasn't one song in particular but I can remember listening to Wish You Were Here and Abbey Road as a kid and thinking "maybe I should listen to more stuff like this, maybe music is always THAT perfect". We had some really great music at home back in the days and sure enough this is where I got my love for music

op7dL0U.gif
(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Offline   Rimbaudrillard

Rimbaudrillard

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

I think two albums, La Sexorcisto and Astro creep 2000. Everything is fault of J. Yuenger. 

Offline   manchot66

manchot66

Jon Snow's Father

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • 158 thanks

Jimmy Page ... 'nuff said.

0hOAbRe.png

Offline   spellbound

spellbound

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • 27 thanks
Im Thinkin it musta been something from AC/DC lol...yep pretty sure ;)

Offline   Nocaster_

Nocaster_

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • 1 thanks

For me it wasn't a song, but a game - Guitar Hero. I was more into hip-hop back then, but really enjoyed that game. After a while I started liking rock, then it became my favorite type of music. Then I became quite good at Guitar Hero, so I thought to myself "I might as well try and learn to play the real thing". This was about 6 years ago. Rocksmith is one of the best things to happen to me, it really took my guitar playing to a whole new level, cause it forced me to to do stuff I was avoiding before, like play really fast and play open chords. I can do things now I didn't think were possible for me, like improvising to songs I hear on the TV, and it's all thanks to RS.

Offline   newmans1985

newmans1985

Master Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • PSN:newmans85

What Keeps Me Loving You by XYZ.  I wanted to learn that song for obvious reasons.  And to me the guitarist they had was very underrated for a guy coming out of the 80s.  The solo on that song to me is simply amazing.

Offline   storm20200

storm20200

Expert Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • 4 thanks

Donator

I've always been interested in rock music and had the 70s and 80s stuff in my head most of my life. I think the ONE moment was when I was at my uncles and he put on his Rainbow DVD. I was literally breath-taken, I couldn't believe what was I seeing and hearing, the amount of emotional expression in an instrument blew me away. I didn't pick up a guitar at that point but took to Guitar Hero and Rock Band extremely quickly. When I eventually had money I made the jump in January and would never look back.

This is particularly the song which is a huge influence of mine. 

Gear:
Chapman ML-1, Blackstar HT1

My systems: 
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 2666MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1333MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | Arch Linux

Offline   bLiNx32

bLiNx32

Hardcore Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • XBOX:bLiNx45
  • PSN:bLiNx32
For me it's bands like pixies, veruca salt, breeders green day and Nirvana from the States and inspiral carpets, pulp, arctic monkeys, Ned's atomic dustbin, the wonder stuff and Reverend and the makers. The one band that lit the fuse was AC/DC and hells bells

Offline   xvladx

xvladx

Medium Guitarist

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • 4 thanks

Steam Profile

This song in particular. I started playing around late November last year, not sure if I can play the solo yet, probably I'll be able to soon since I can get to that speed playing other stuff. Just gotta keep practicing.

Guitars owned:

Schecter Damien Platinum-6 FR (EMG 85-81) | Ibanez GRG20Z | B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast (EMG 85-81) | Jackson Pro King V KVT (Duncan SH-6).

Playing since:

November 11, 2013.

Favorite Genre:

Heavy Metal \m/ (specifically Death Metal, Power Metal, etc. and the heavier stuff) 

Offline   MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan

Touring Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • 60 thanks

Donator

A friend of mine bought an electric guitar when we were about 16 or so.  He was having fun with it, so I went the cheap route and borrowed a battered old acoustic guitar from my aunt, a music teacher.  Many people in my family have music talent, a lot of singers and various instrument players also -- but I had never really had much interest.

Anyway, I took that acoustic over to my friend's house.  Pretty sure "Smoke on the Water" was the first riff he taught me, and the first time I had that "whoa, this is so cool" moment.  Some months later, I got my own electric (Epiphone Korina Explorer) as a birthday present.  That is still my only electric guitar.

I never got very good, but I had fun.  Never took lessons, just taught myself and compared notes with friends.  "Enter Sandman" was the first song I learned relatively completely, from a tab book.  But, in college I probably only played a few times per year; just as a minor hobby.  BUT, I remained interested enough that I bought my first bass (Ibanez GSR200) sometime in there.  Immediately clicked more with bass than I ever had with guitar.

I don't remember exactly what the first song I tried on bass was, or what song made me think that bass would be a fun thing to try.  Possibly "Orion" by Metallica -- mastering that song remains a long-term stretch goal for me.  But, I can definitely remember that the first song that I really got into on bass was "Like a Stone" by Audioslave.  I think that was the first song for either instrument that I felt I could actually play along with solidly all the way through the song, and therefore convinced me that I was actually a bass dude instead of a guitar player.

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

Offline   Diabulous

Diabulous

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • XBOX:Asian Africa

Well the thing that made me want to play was well... Green Day Rock band lol after playing  a few songs, i really wanted to play.

Offline   timhenning

timhenning

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

my uncle played guitar and he gave me his guitar. he knew i could play if i practice. my first song was pennywise - bro hymn .

than i started to learn nothing metallica - else matters. it took me lots of hours to learn that. after that i played seek and destroy (witout solo)... 

Offline   Hostilian

Hostilian

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • 13 thanks

Steam Profile

Donator

Back in Black and Highway to Hell (albums) on my personal stereo when I was 12 - messing around in the sun in Majorca..

It wasn't a song in particular, though it's always been a toss up between the title tracks on both albums...

Good times!  :)

Offline   stealthgerbil

stealthgerbil

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Steam Profile

I don't know which song exactly but I was sitting there listening to metallica and was like 'damn i wish i could play guitar it would be fun' and i got a cheap one.

Offline   durdensbuddy

durdensbuddy

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks

Not a guitarist, but the first song that made me want to give up my metal growls for an instrument was "Unsound" by the Headstones.  It was the first time I saw the bass really take the spotlight and I still love that tune.

Offline   snowdog

snowdog

Day One Donator

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • 13 thanks

Donator

I started off playing the bass, mainly due to me going round a mate's house after school and playing various Police songs on his setup. Got my own bass and amp about a year later and then got myself an acoustic guitar about 6 months after that. An early guitar solo that always used to float my boat was the one in Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 but I haven't thought about playing the lead guitar until I started to get into Rocksmith, I was always interested in rhythm guitar before that because I didn't have the confidence.

Online   Izzy

Izzy

Such a pretty pretty princess that loves Nickleback!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • 76 thanks

it was on june 4, 1978 one of my best friends had just gotten a van halen album .. that first A5 chord on eruption made my hair stand on end .. and i havent been able to comb it down ever since!

76561198043260236.png

Offline   Venomous

Venomous

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Many good ol' bands from in the past (60s 70s 80s). But has to be Xanadu by Rush.When I first heard it I studied on guitar so hard. And Alex Lifeson become one of my biggiest influence.