Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Announcements:

We're in the middle of finishing up Ignition4 development and need your help with donations to keep our development services running. The goal also pays for our servers & other CF services we use. Any amount helps: click here to donate.

Join us on Discord | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon | Merch | Volunteer | Newsletter Issue 10 (Aug) [Special Tool Edition] w/ New Ignition Preview

Photo

Hosting Downloads?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Offline   kring

kring

Hardcore Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 4 thanks

Donator

Can you guys look into hosting the customs?  there are so many dead links, crappy download services that install viruses. It would be so much nicer if they were all on a single source and we didn't have to worry about them vanishing.  it's only a couple gigs of files so cost shouldn't be much at all, like $60/year in data.

I'd donate some support money for a feature like this.

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • 585 thanks

Donator

it's only a couple gigs of files

Huh, i alone have almost 2GB of CDLC stored on my google drive and that's about 150 files

even if 100 files = 1GB that's 355GB or so for all the CDLC on CF and it's only expanding.

But that's the easy part, then you have to account for the bandwidth necessary to allow all user to upload CDLC without trouble and for all user to download it without any trouble. Bandwidth cost a lot more than storage itself.

Then it's a matter of develloping the system to have it all work properly. dev aren't paid at the moment and it's already an issue we are facing to update some part of CF and a dev would cost largely more than 60$/year if we wanted to ensure that everything keep on working.

And last but not least, the legal side of things, if we become the host of the file themself, we become even more prone to lawsuit by copyright owner and lawyer sure aren't costing 60$/year either.

So even if your suggestion is nice, it doesn't take into account all the aspect necessary for such a system to be put in place and to work.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Offline   Overpopulation

Overpopulation

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

I agree with firekorn. Maybe make uploaders to upload to a minimum of 3 hosts. Also i expect someone out ther in customforge to have what it takes to download everything and keep a local copy. Maybe you could encourage some kind of repackings made monthly so people can download everything uploaded in that month. The more people getting them, the better to get over some eventual havock.