Musicnotes Tab?

MVega

Question

Anyone here have any experience with Musicnotes tab?

http://www.musicnotes.com

Are these just printouts of GuitarPro files or have they been professionally prepared?

They're kind of pricey. They say the song I'm interested in has 15 pages of tab -- if it's accurate, it'd make my life much easier. But if it's just the Gpro stuff I've found copied and pasted for all the verses, then that's 4 euros wasted.

3 answers to this question

According to their knowledgebase, their transcriptions are officially licensed. Since there's money involved, I have to assume these are of higher quality than random internet tabs. However it seems like they DRM it so you can't share the tabs or print more than one time per purchase. I guess you'd just have to look at the sample first page for any song you were interested in to decide if it looked accurate enough. Given the number of pages a lot of these are, it seems like they don't author it with repeats/navigation symbols. Maybe that's for ease of use?

I'm going to go ahead and order it. The song is almost seven minutes long - if I don't have to tab it all by ear, I'll have a lot more free time...

The fact that they're not using repeats is a hopeful sign -- on this song, at least, the guitar part changes all the time, so it's not just a matter where I can just use copy and paste.

This is the big difference between charting for customs and preparing tab just to play the song on your own -- since we're playing along with the actual song, it really helps to be playing the same notes as in the song.

A followup-- I went ahead and bought the file. Pretty expensive --$5.50, but it's not something I intend to do too often, and this song's very special to me.

The tab's pretty good -- looks like something that was done years ago, probably for a guitar magazine or something. It's not 100% accurate: they use repeating figures. But it's definitely easier than having to develop the entire tab by ear.