How do you re-string your guitar?

Collision

I'm about to re-string my guitar for the first time and as a beginner I was going to follow the video that is in Rocksmith 2014.  However, after looking on youtube there seems to be more than one way to re-string a guitar!

So my question is how do you do yours?  If possible an instructional video would be welcomed :)

Thanks.

I go one by one in order...

Take one out, replace it with the new, and tune the new one - then move to the next. at the end re-tune the guitar.

Please note that if you remove all the strings at once, you may need to tune the neck (via the truss rode), but no real damage should occur - I personally never remove all the strings (lesson a learned from an old guitar I had where the truss was actually at the base of the neck, and it was a MAJOR pain)

Depends a lot on the type of guitar you have.  The way the do it in the video on the game is basically the way I do it as well.  I usually replace them all at once.

If your guitar has a Floyd Rose and your switching string gauge or tunings its such a pain to restring.  But if you just have the fender style bridge or the stop bar style bridge as on a Les Paul its a lot quicker and totally easy.

My advice for you is to not have more that 3 windings on the big strings and 5 or 6 on the smaller ones.  And make sure to cut off the excess AFTER you put the string on and wind it.  Nothing sucks more than having to throw a brand new string away for that reason but you'll only ever do it once hah.

Also invest in a string winder.  They are really cheap (under $5) and make replacing strings a lot faster.

I wouldn't worry about the truss rod. If you're using the same string guage, the new strings will bring it right back in place. Only adjust the truss rod if you're moving to much heavier (or lighter) strings or you've moved the guitar to a different part of the country/world.

So the only reason not to remove all the strings is if you have a fussy bridge -- like a wraparound, which needs the strings to hold it onto the posts. Otherwise, a string change is an opportunity to clean the fretboard, if you like to do that. I don't, so I just change them one at a time.

I used to use graphite, then I just started switching out the nuts themselves for Graph Tech's stuff. I also used their saddles. I see no need to spend money on 'nut sauce' -- graphite works just as well, although it's a bit messy (do NOT do this to a maple fretboard).

And I ALWAYS put locking tuners on my guitars. No more winding!

But these days I'm playing a Steinberger, which is headless so it takes double ball strings. They say it's easy to change 'em.. I suppose I'll get around to it one day, but after nearly 170 hours on this set, they still seem to be going strong -- they stay in tune, which is all I really care about.

Hope this helps, for me it has been the most useful video to re string guitar.

Might have to give that a go next time I change my strings on my strat. I've always used the method where you loop the string so it tightens whilst you turn the machine head.

In a guitar without floyd rose change in  any order, if you want to remove all the strings do it, but not for too long. This will uncalibrate the guitar.If you have a guitar with floyd rose, change one by one the string, because if you do it the change over the all string, the strength of the bridge will uncalibrate as the other method.In all the cases, when I remove one string, I cleaned with lemon oil. This lubricates and clean all the dirt on the neck.

Other advice, never leave your guitar without strings for long of time. This is the worst idea ever.

Other advice, never leave your guitar without strings for long of time. This is the worst idea ever.

I've done this many times and for extended periods of time while building/modifying guitars, with no issue whatsoever. As long as the neck isn't exposed to too much humidity or heat (with or without strings) it'll be fine. Assuming it's been properly built and coated/varnished.

The floyd trems are a good example of why on some guitars it's a pain in the butt to restring if you take off all the strings. I've got an archtop with a floating bridge, I never take off all the strings on that one. Same with the banjo. But only because it's annoying to have to reposition the bridge.

I've done this many times and for extended periods of time while building/modifying guitars, with no issue whatsoever. As long as the neck isn't exposed to too much humidity or heat (with or without strings) it'll be fine. Assuming it's been properly built and coated/varnished.

The floyd trems are a good example of why on some guitars it's a pain in the butt to restring if you take off all the strings. I've got an archtop with a floating bridge, I never take off all the strings on that one. Same with the banjo. But only because it's annoying to have to reposition the bridge.

I understand your point. But if you think in detail the strings make strength over the neck, to give balance and maintain that.If you remove all the strings, that strength will be lost and the neck can be bend backwards.Of course, this not happen from the day to the night.Infact, if you store the guitar on good place, like you say, avoiding humidity, sun, etc you will retrase that effect.But in my experience this is not a recommended idea.

@@HolloW

Here's a tip - with a floating bridge (such as FR) - block the bridge from pulling back (eg. on the Face side of the guitar, put a thick stack of foam underneath the bridge). This will keep the bridge "in playing position" and you can remove all strings at once. Saves me about 40% time compared to how I used to unstring/restring one at a time.

@@Collision

You've probably already restrung, but for future restringings - consider which string gauge you will want!

Most guitars come stock with 9-42, I like 9-46, many people like 10-46, if you're a drop-tune metalhead you may want 11-56, etc.