Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Photo

Still feeling like a beginner on Rocksmith?

- - - - - beginner tips chords

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Offline   CoachL23

CoachL23

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 2 thanks

Donator

Has really been over a year!?! life is getting on at a rate.

So what have I done....

Bought the new guitar. a Eko acoustic travel. Love it and after trying a few guitars can feel the difference playing it to others.

Tried with Justin's beginner course again this time tracking my progress through notes. Fell off that again as I seem to have been doing the basic stuff forever and I still can't play a song.  

Lessons...been to two guitar teachers both seem very similar in approach. I tell them I want to play songs and the types of music and they just tend to say just learn the songs. No real progressive course of pathway. I get a feeling that they have plenty of young students that have bags of time to devote to practice so they can't really help much until I have put in enough time.

Gaming...gave it up. It was easy to spend free time doing so decided to hang up my controller and pickup the guitar more.

I am about to hit 40 and I really have got to pull my finger out. I want this, and I also want to be around a peer group who also love music.

I think the Championship is the only way, have to fight through the time restraints I have with work and family and just get my best effort on that one song a week.

If there is anyone in the Suffolk area PM me. Kind of getting board of telling people about Rocksmith and them looking at me funny.

Offline   CoachL23

CoachL23

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 2 thanks

Donator

Feeling a little less of a beginner!!.....

I really don't know what happened yesterday but I played a song.

I had the evening to myself and sat in the lounge with my acoustic guitar.

First some finger picking - the pattern the teacher showed me din not sound that good tbh

second major chords - I tried holding the guitar differently. with it in between my legs resting on the sofa and the neck up near my face like classical. I found the changes easier and could see clearly my finger placement. strummed with my thumb ditched the pick for now.

This was all going well so I though I would look up some songs on YT found a few ED Sheeran I love but out of my skill level at picking. Then remembered that many moons ago in my 20's I was trying to lead Good Riddance by Green day. Mary Music had it so put it on. I was actually keeping up with the chord changes!! strumming pattern was rough but still slowly changing chords and then getting faster was feeling good.

looked up a few more songs and found myself watching the video then going on the guitar tabs app on my phone to find the chords and started to make the shapes. Even did F in places.

3 hours later and some soar fingers I found the chord names and shapes are in there. My whole body was relaxing more going though them.

I felt for the first time last night I let go of what I was doing wrong all the time and enjoyed what I was doing right.

Still a long way from where I want to be but that one song is now my gateway I will get it down and then get the next one.

Feeling great right now!!     

Offline   brubeck99

brubeck99

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 0 thanks

i always play rocksmith with 1 thing in mind , its a game , have fun . if i want to really learn a song

i go to u tube , first . and then i try for a high score. i can play many songs on RS , but i cant take my eyes oiff the screen.

so i prob couldn't play them , really.

Offline   CoachL23

CoachL23

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 2 thanks

Donator

Yes! and I have found that I get lost in a song if I exclusively use Rocksmith. I have made more progress going on youtube to a Justin or Marty tutorial and getting the cord and more importantly the strumming pattern. I think this is the thing that was kind of forgotten with this version of RS. They should have added a bunch of strumming pattern techniques in the lessons section and then they could tag them in the song to have same or similar. 

I tried the Championship beginner song (lead) this morning and RR the first section which took me about 15 mins to get 0 notes missed then blew the rest of the song.

Not putting lots of pressure on myself to do hours of practice just a minimum of 10 mins a day, that seems to be helping.

@brubeck99 Sound's like if you play them on YT first then maybe turn on master mode and see if you need the screen? "Use the force Luke.... Let go" :)   

Offline   CoachL23

CoachL23

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 2 thanks

Donator

Doing good with the 10 min a day just picking up and trying to play this weeks championship song  Insomnium - The Gale

The lead path was not going well only 62% so I switched to rhythm and managed to get 82%

Its not a hard song and with (D std) tuning I know some notes are not getting picked up still go confidence boost.

When back to the lead path and made a little improvement. Relaxing the left hand move gets me to the notes quicker.

On a side note I am also dabbling with some beginner piano. got a Flowkey free trial and been using YT channel HDpiano for learning sections of songs.

Good way of finding practice time when away from a piano is load a app called perfect piano on the tablet. set it to 12 key view as this makes the keys the size of my real keyboard. I can practice on this with headphones in lunch hour or any other moment I get. I will try and link it to flow key today via a usb cable see if it works.

Cheers 

Offline   brubeck99

brubeck99

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 0 thanks

hey, was just thinking, i dont use learn a song much, go straight to score attack, as long as its got dynamic difficulty ,

i just got highway star from official site. and made it to the end on easy.with the headphones on it was epic.

sadly a lot of cdlc dosn't have DD, i always send a thank you, to the people who take the time to add DD .

keep rockin.

ps i learnt a bit . by watching uploads of rocksmith videos , on YT, really helped.

Offline   ToxRS

ToxRS

Fighting the war against dead links, 1 cdlc at a time!

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2 thanks

@brubeck99 You can add DD with CustomsForge Song Manager, it might not be as great as if it was done manually by the creator but it might help you play something ahead of your current ability.

Offline   RedCrowBleeding

RedCrowBleeding

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • 6 thanks

Donator

hey, was just thinking, i dont use learn a song much, go straight to score attack, as long as its got dynamic difficulty ,

i just got highway star from official site. and made it to the end on easy.with the headphones on it was epic.

sadly a lot of cdlc dosn't have DD, i always send a thank you, to the people who take the time to add DD .

keep rockin.

ps i learnt a bit . by watching uploads of rocksmith videos , on YT, really helped.

I found a few times where DD actually made playing a song more problematic than it needed to be e.g. providing odd fingering, which when DD is increased to 100% turns out to a barred chord or similar, I find often the best route is crank DD to 100% and drop the song to 50% speed, then increase 10% each time you've nailed it completely, up until 80% then increase  in increments of 5% speed.

Offline   CoachL23

CoachL23

Medium Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 2 thanks

Donator

keep rockin.

I found a few times where DD actually made playing a song more problematic than it needed to be e.g. providing odd fingering, which when DD is increased to 100% turns out to a barred chord or similar, I find often the best route is crank DD to 100% and drop the song to 50% speed, then increase 10% each time you've nailed it completely, up until 80% then increase  in increments of 5% speed.

Yes I have tried DD and found that it changes the some too much. have 100% of the song chopped into sections with RR and know the speed down. This seems the best way to take it in.

Cheers

Offline   ctrl

ctrl

I'm Your Charity Case

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • ctrl#11771
  • ctrl#0052
  • XBOX:Vortextuality
  • PSN:EdgeOfControl

Steam Profile

I found the same things of feeling like a beginner. I overcame them essentially through the idea of "trial by fire" - by forcing yourself to play songs above your current playing level, you're forcing yourself to adapt to the song in a way in which you don't with DD. Something I strongly recommend for someone that learns best when challenging themselves is to go into the game settings and set the setting "Override To Max" on. This won't work for everyone, as not everyone learns the same, however, it can't hurt to try. I went from 82 something on The Trooper to 90 something on lead (I'll get an imgur link when I'm out of school). The most challenging part of this method is motivation, and this is not how I would tell someone who just picked up a guitar for the first time in their life to learn. I switched to sightreading after about a year. 

We are unbound, free, unshackled.

Chasing the illusions of who I once was - "Someday" - Godsmack

You're addicted to the pain and the shame - "Say My Name" - Godsmack

I wear you like a stain, yet I'm the one who's obscene - "Before I Forget" - Slipknot

All I see instead of me is another fucking casualty - "The Infected" - Four Year Strong

Selfish beneath the skin but deep inside I'm not insane - "Almost Easy" - Avenged Sevenfold

They're so ignorant, they don't understand, you were always longing for a chance - "Wasteland" - EarlyRise

You don't know pain until you're crushed by the weight of a world that forgot you - "The Worst Of Us" - Quietkind

Out there is a future waiting to be had, if you think I'll let it go you're mad - "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" - Judas Priest

Welcome to Paradise City.

I am a CustomsForge Moderator - if you have a question over an administrative action I have taken on your account or post, please PM me or message me on Discord - ctrl#0052. Actions that have been taken by my account have been documented by other staff members on Discord.

Offline   brubeck99

brubeck99

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 0 thanks

sightreading  , yes il look into that.