Welcome to CustomsForge Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Learn & Play Rocksmith!

Want to play the songs you love? Registration and the use of this website is 100% free.
The only thing you need is a legal copy of Rocksmith 2014 w/ a cable. Click here to buy it.

Having trouble logging in or registering? Please click "Support" below.

Announcements:

We're in the middle of finishing up Ignition4 development and need your help with donations to keep our development services running. The goal also pays for our servers & other CF services we use. Any amount helps: click here to donate.

Join us on Discord | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon | Merch | Volunteer | Newsletter Issue 10 (Aug) [Special Tool Edition] w/ New Ignition Preview

Photo

Help on a "Dead' guitar

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Offline   ShepherdOfFire3

ShepherdOfFire3

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

OK, i barely post on the forums but since this issue is buggy me a lot, i need help my own guitar(which is "dead" Right now("dead" is a term only used if all the electronics are burnt or heavily damaged))

The Guitar i currently own is a used Ibanez RX-20 from 1996(which i find funny, i was born on 1998) and it was given to me by a neighbor after helping out on their home on a clean up. as soon i plugged the guitar, it started to act badly, for the neck pickup died first, then the bridge after hearing a Honorable screech. i unplugged it and i smell something was burning from the inside of it, and turned out to be the electronics died. i took out the brunt wires and broken pickups after finding the schematic for it. i posted it on the discord chat in the hats gaming section, but since i'm forced to post to it here, i will let you guys see the picture of my guitar and the schematic

Guitar

WIN_20160401_17_26_59_Pro.jpg

Schematic

Ibanez_W97040_RX20.gif

If anyone knows how to to fix this thing i'll be happy to listen

Offline   Alex360

Alex360

Guitar God

• Rocksmith Custom Developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • 345 thanks

IDK about what you've got burnt and what smelld to you if pickups are passive(Super58 is) there's nothing to get damage by itself(even if you got shortcuts somwhere, I suppose you've got a bad capacitor(s) check the one at volume knob, It's likely it could be bad ceap ceamic and film capacitors works not that well and youe film cap may be dameged\etc also if it's ta old...

Offline   Frack

Frack

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • 40 thanks

It was plugged in one amplificator or any pedals when the electronics died ?

Or just with Rocksmith cable ?

(If the wires burnt the guitar may not be the source of the problem).

Frack%20Guitars_zpsk6ace3fh.gif

Offline   shepardbr

shepardbr

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • 13 thanks

Donator

There is no source of power that can cause what you described. Is it possible you plugged your amp output into the guitar?

ShepherdOfFire3

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

amp only, but got more info on how much damage it took, for the previous owner told he used it for over 12 years and started to sound wore out. the amp i had was too much for my guitar, so it killed it (yes was grounded but it's very old, for my family owns it).

the pickups are passive, the knobs have bad solder jobs(it was done in the 90's so it's excusable) but the jack survived(i'm still wondering why), and the switch is starting to react as the rest.

if anyone has any ideas, tell me fast

Offline   firekorn

firekorn

Done Nothing for the Community

• Administrator

• 4,152 posts
  • 585 thanks

Donator

I would be worried about your amp if it fried your guitar more than anything cause amp shouldn't send power to the guitar but only receive!

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

ShepherdOfFire3

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

I would be worried about your amp if it fried your guitar more than anything cause amp shouldn't send power to the guitar but only receive!

i got rid of that amp, so i got a black star fly 3 mini amp as my current

Offline   shepardbr

shepardbr

Master Guitarist

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • 13 thanks

Donator

Get a cheap multi meter and start checking your connections. If you have bad solder joints they will need to be fixed as they will only get worse over time due to oxidation caused by the air gap between the circuit.

ShepherdOfFire3

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Get a cheap multi meter and start checking your connections. If you have bad solder joints they will need to be fixed as they will only get worse over time due to oxidation caused by the air gap between the circuit.

did check, and they are in bad condition(i know how to solder other types of electronics) and this had those joints since 1996, from the factory. the pickups have no connection at all, leaving to amuse it's broken from the inside, i do an led test on the switch and i see it not working on the neck(i wonder why the last owner left this guitar like this), and since the joints been though hell, i maybe forced to make a new layout

Offline   Frack

Frack

Hall of Fame Guitarist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • 40 thanks
I've saved a pickup once by unwinding 20th winds, scratching the end of the (very very thin) wire by pulling it very lightly between 2 pieces of 1200 grit sandpaper (to remove the insulated varnish) and re-solder everything.

Frack%20Guitars_zpsk6ace3fh.gif

ShepherdOfFire3

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

I've saved a pickup once by unwinding 20th winds, scratching the end of the (very very thin) wire by pulling it very lightly between 2 pieces of 1200 grit sandpaper (to remove the insulated varnish) and re-solder everything.

i could, but i got to work this summer very soon

ShepherdOfFire3

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

ok found the culprit, the ground was disconnected on my guitar(which make things much easier, for most the components are removed(minus wires to the jack and bridge)) so now this thing is needing replacement parts for the electronics

Offline   MetalBard666

MetalBard666

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • PSN:Riley666

Nice Axe man 

Offline   RoyaIBlood

RoyaIBlood

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • XBOX:rnv

Just take it to a guitar technician I guess better than asking on a forum

If they cant do it then the guitar is done

Offline   Alex360

Alex360

Guitar God

• Rocksmith Custom Developer

• 2,494 posts
  • 345 thanks

@Dry, thread necro i guess he's doing fine now, right? :D

Offline   RoyaIBlood

RoyaIBlood

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • XBOX:rnv

@Dry, thread necro i guess he's doing fine now, right? :D

Sorry for the necro didn't realise  :mellow:

ShepherdOfFire3

Beginner Guitarist

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Actually, it's going to be replaced, so it's dead for good. I will replace it with it's younger brother, the Ibanez GRX20. Will reuse the springs and jack for spares. Will make a new trend on upgrades I'll need soon