Les Paul bridge saddles set up

ShrillBear52

Question

Can anybody send me an instruction how to set up NORMALY a  Les Paul Brdige? Or just a picture how whould be 'perfect' the saddles positions? I'm having trouble with the saddles,i watchd many videos,but none of them answerd my question,i'm getting realy frustrated by now,here is the first picture what was a drawing,i'm not so sure,i might be an autist or i don't know,but this picture is just a pice of junk or I don't know,i don't see how whould be the positions in the Low E,D,B and high e string.And the seconc picture is how it looks like  my Les Paul's saddles now,or in other world,that's what i tried to copy from the first picture  :lol:    Thanks!http://oi65.tinypic.com/2jg81zm.jpghttp://oi67.tinypic.com/jqj2fa.jpg

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

23 answers to this question

You can't just straight up "copy" a setup, too many variables usually, and if you don't know what problem is you are trying to solve you can actually make it worse. So maybe you should list the problem(s) first and then we can work from there.

Ohy yes,sorry i forget it,well the problem is the strings are in a not good positions,so what i mean is,when i try to bend the strings it' just gets my hand a realy uncomfortable position and makes the plyaing unenjoyable and unplayable.The website what i watch before,(the first picture is form the website) it said, try to set up the saddles something like this in the picture,and well,this is bad set up,just makes things more bad.So what i want to know,is how should i do the positions for the saddles to be in a good positions,to make the playing good and to have no fret buzz in it.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

If it's only on bending the strings then I'm fairly certain it means your action is too low (strings too close to the neck). Just heighten your saddles a bit until the bending feels more comfortable.

You mean something like this right?

https://youtu.be/1dEZxBykRto?t=450

Not realy,the problem is eg:when i bend the g sting my fingers go trough the d string,not realy the same,in my case the bend is not stoped.I mean just look at the saddls positions.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Not realy,the problem is eg:when i bend the g sting my fingers go trough the d string,not realy the same,in my case the bend is not stoped.

I assume you mean your finger goes under/hit the D string while bending the G string? Probably lowering your D string a bit should fix that then.

Not realy,the problem is eg:when i bend the g sting my fingers go trough the d string,not realy the same,in my case the bend is not stoped.

I assume you mean your finger goes under/hit the D string while bending the G string? Probably lowering your D string a bit should fix that then.

That's alright,but my questions is stil,is there any guide how am is suppose to set up the saddles? I didn't find any normal video about it.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Not sure what you mean. Just the height? Just set them whatever you are comfortable with, there is no "right way".

I suggest watching the vid I linked earlier, it's not for the same bridge, but he explains the idea behind it and gives some general measurements you can use to start from. If you understand the concept it doesn't really matter what bridge you have to set the action since it's all based on the same principle. If you go too low, you'l get string buzz and bends that stop early, if you go to high it's mostly just uncomfortable to play and the notes will go slightly sharp on the middle of the fretboard because you extend the strings too much by fretting them. Just set them to a height that is most comfortable to you while slightly following the curve of the fretboard (like explained in the video)

It would help you quite a bit if you just searched for a "how to set up a guitar" tutorial in your native language. Start with google or youtube. The ideas are exactly the same on any guitar - Fender or Gibson. 

Seems like we haven't been able to answer your questions about setting guitars by replying with words or English tutorial videos. Try some in your own language - maybe that will be easier to understand. So I'd do that first if I were you. There's also a foreign language support sub-forum on here, I do not know how active it is.

It just seems like you're asking the same question in different ways - which means we're not really helping you   :D 

The picture that you posted with the screwdriver shows how to adjust the saddles backward and forward, for intonation. To raise or lower the saddles, you need to adjust the screws on the outside of your high and low E strings.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Forgot to add that you'll probably want to make sure that your truss rod is properly adjusted before you worry about saddle height, because they both affect one another.

This should help, though it's in English.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Forgot to add that you'll probably want to make sure that your truss rod is properly adjusted before you worry about saddle height, because they both affect one another.

This should help, though it's in English.

Oh yes the truss rod setup,thanks,but i think i messd up the whole setup part, i don't find any NORMAL video,to how to setup a Les Paul.The one thing wich i don't know is,how high should be the bridge (in a specific measure,if it's possible).Also i don't find any video about this issue in my native language :P I was searched about it,but there wasn't any that helpd me out.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

You don't really NEED a tutorial that is specific to any type of guitar. The basic idea is the same, no matter the brand or design.

If you have trouble learning from English videos, than your other option is to try and find a text based tutorial. From there you can probably use the built in translator in your browser, or even Google translate, so that's it's easier for you.

This one should work for you: http://www.samash.com/help/library/main/How_to_Set_Up_an_Electric_Guitar.html

There is no exact/perfect height for your bridge saddles because everyone has a different preference. It also depends heavily on how straight (or not straight) your neck is - which is why you'll want to properly adjust the neck first.

Anyway... just follow the steps in the tutorial in that link and you should be good to go.

You don't really NEED a tutorial that is specific to any type of guitar. The basic idea is the same, no matter the brand or design.

If you have trouble learning from English videos, than your other option is to try and find a text based tutorial. From there you can probably use the built in translator in your browser, or even Google translate, so that's it's easier for you.

This one should work for you: http://www.samash.com/help/library/main/How_to_Set_Up_an_Electric_Guitar.html

There is no exact/perfect height for your bridge saddles because everyone has a different preference. It also depends heavily on how straight (or not straight) your neck is - which is why you'll want to properly adjust the neck first.

Anyway... just follow the steps in the tutorial in that link and you should be good to go.

I think you still don't understand me,I DONT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ENGLISH! Sorry if I was rude,I'm tired.And i said the 'how high should be in a measure ' part,because in 2 or 3 videos the guy said it should be 2 or 3 mm. Also thanks for the link i will definitly check it :D

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

There's 2 different things :

- Strings action(height of the strings) (adjusted with the Green arrows) Fix the fret buzz / make the way to play your guitar more comfortable.

- Intonation (adjusted with the Pink arrows) Fix the intonation problem only (When guitar sounds wrong) (harmonic must sound the same as 12th fret).

More typical Sheme for intonation (with common nut) is 6 sadles top (see Blue drawing) aligned in oblic  continuous line (there's 3+3 too).

Every guitar have a different "pink line" angle according to guitar scale but it's the overall idea.

Your red arrowed sadle needs adjustment & needs to be in the aligned pink position (only the overal angle could differ a little).

-------------------------------------

If you set your Strings action, release the string tension on all stings first (this will lower the strenght applied on the bridge etc..).

http://s21.postimg.org/lr5pkbvyv/2jg81zm.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/izmftpxg7/jqj2fa.jpg

Easiest way is to bring your guitar to guitar center\mastery and ask for setup\intonation check (could cost you some money tho)
also ask for some tips for doing this at home the guy shoud be fine to give advise to you, remember how sounds your guitar after setup was done and you'll get stable point of how your guitar should be set ;P

if you have time for diggin' up this by yourself you probably be fine with my suggestion too ;)

I think you still don't understand me,I DONT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ENGLISH! Sorry if I was rude,I'm tired.And i said the 'how high should be in a measure ' part,because in 2 or 3 videos the guy said it should be 2 or 3 mm. Also thanks for the link i will definitly check it :D

It's entirely possible that the saddles would be at a height of 2-3 mm. But like I said, it depends on how straight your neck is. You could easily have yours lower than that if your neck has more relief (curve) to it. There is no exact measurement for every guitar, or every player.

That tune-o-matic bridge is the wrong way around, the screws should be towards the tail piece as a magnetic screw driver could de-magnetise your bridge pick up. This 'how to' is pretty straight forward too. http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/es-sential-hollowbodies/15130-gibson-factory-set-up-specs.html I'd sort that bridge though.

That tune-o-matic bridge is the wrong way around, the screws should be towards the tail piece as a magnetic screw driver could de-magnetise your bridge pick up. This 'how to' is pretty straight forward too. http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/es-sential-hollowbodies/15130-gibson-factory-set-up-specs.html I'd sort that bridge though.

It might be wrong to you. But it is the way Epiphone puts them in the factory.

• Like 1

You can't demagnetize a pickup with a screwdriver.  A magnetic screwdriver can barely hold on to a tiny little screw.  It won't have any effect on a pickup.

• Like 1

1) A magnetized screwdriver could never de-magnetize a pickup. It's much to weak of a magnet to cause any long term affects to the pickup's stronger magnetic field.

2) The orientation of the bridge actually depends on the specific model of Tune-O-Matic bridge you have. This post goes into great detail on that.

My ES-335 has an ABR-1 bridge, so they face toward the neck.

• Like 1

1) A magnetized screwdriver could never de-magnetize a pickup. It's much to weak of a magnet to cause any long term affects to the pickup's stronger magnetic field.

2) The orientation of the bridge actually depends on the specific model of Tune-O-Matic bridge you have. This post goes into great detail on that.

My ES-335 has an ABR-1 bridge, so they face toward the neck.

Well it seems,the trus rod was the problem,I tight it,and evrything was better,no fret buzz and comfartable playing,the only 2 problem is,when i tune my Les Paul from E standard to Drop C or Drop D flat,or into any other tunning,the truss rod settings lose competely.But my strat and my SG don't have this issue.Also the last problem is the sound,well not realy,but I want it to have a bit brighter sound even trough it's a Les Paul,but i don't know,how to set the pickups to not get fret buzz again.

Edit:no,it's still fucking shit,the trus rod setting are lose even if i didn't tunned the guitar,and fret buzz is comeing back WTF!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Does your neck have a slight curve to it? If your truss rod is adjusted properly, the neck should bend away from you a VERY tiny amount. I honestly think that your neck is too straight, and has been all along.

Did you follow the text tutorial that I sent you?

Does your neck have a slight curve to it? If your truss rod is adjusted properly, the neck should bend away from you a VERY tiny amount. I honestly think that your neck is too straight, and has been all along.

Yes i did,but at the neck adjust point,is where i stuckd.It didn's seem any effect if i lose the strings more in the trus rod(I even mesuered it and nothing realy changed),can be the neck's problem?

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Yes i did,but at the neck adjust point,is where i stuckd.It didn's seem any effect if i lose the strings more in the trus rod(I even mesuered it and nothing realy changed),can be the neck's problem?

It's possible that the truss rod may not be working properly. But as long as you can turn it and it still feels attached, then you should be fine. But if you have turned it more than once or twice around and there is no change... there's a good chance it's broken.

Honestly, I think your neck is too straight, or over-tightened. The video that you posted showed you tightening the truss rod A LOT, which is only going to make your buzzing worse.

Can you describe the straightness of your neck when the strings are tightened (the normal amount)? Is it perfectly straight, or does it have a slight bend? If it has a bend, then which way does it bend?