Mem full file in eof folders

CREΛTOR

Question

18 answers to this question

I've never heard of anything like this before. EoF does not create any file(s) with a ".mem" extension, to my knowledge.

Could you elaborate a bit more?

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

It's not a .mem it's a .text file that pops up during editing and keeps you from making changes. It's gone on for a month with nearly all my stuff.

The file gives you info on how much disk space your file was using and how much was available and then once that file's existing it cause unplayble tracks and can't use shortcut keys or enter new notes

I think he might be talking about the "memwatch" text file? I have one of those in all of the project folders I've checked so far, but I've never associated their appearance with performance issues (which is a good thing given that they're in every folder!).

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

The memwatch log file is opened for writing when EOF launches and is not written to until EOF exits. The file is written wherever EOF is launched from, so if you open EOF projects via file association, they may get created in your project's folder. Otherwise they can end up being created in your user profile folder or EOF's program folder. You cannot edit this log file when EOF is running, because it is already locked for editing. I don't see how there could be any way this affects EOF's performance. It doesn't even prevent multiple instances of the same or even different versions of EOF from being run simultaneously. I've never seen any behavior where Memwatch prevents any functionality in the editor, and nobody else has ever reported this problem, so I'm definitely going to need more information about what's happening on your computer.

• Like 1

Working on one of my songs I opened EOF and started editing. I noticed the keys were not functioning correctly so I tried restarting EOF, direct launches of EOF with the actual .exe, and seeing if my preferences were all right or I wasn't missing a file. Two days ago I found the memwatch file so i closed EOF to read what it said. It gave me a read out and I thought it was nonsense so I deleted it. To my surprise all functions such as keyboard shortcuts, editing notes, and ect. all worked until I did a save and I saw the memwatch return and then EOF went back to acting up. Clearing out some space on my drive (even though I have over 30 gb free on my Rocksmith File drive) keeps it going as well as being careful on what I've done lately but it's never happened like that before.  I've always been able to open .eof files and never get issues til now with the Hoffmann songs. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

Since this isn't the way it behaves for other people, I can only conclude that it's something else on your computer such as antivirus software. The memwatch log file gets created immediately when EOF is run, so that file would have existed when you'd re-opened EOF. Everything working again could only have been coincidental. In the past, it's been seen that external programs can interfere with processes that create/save files (ie. File>Save or even the undo file states), an example being Dropbox monitoring and interfering with a folder where EOF is running from or saving to. That shouldn't have prevented editing functions from working though. Sometimes immediately when opening EOF, it doesn't process some keystrokes correctly until a click is performed but that probably boils down to some other glitch in EOF or Allegro. When this happens, do all of the menu functions work when accessed by mouse?

• Like 2

They are accessible and thanks for the help with that mem bit but even giving time it didn't respond right. I'll look to see what's up but I don't have any other software that access files like Dropbox or anything. Just Steam and 3D Modeling stuff.

It seems to be just the mouse

Are you saying that the mouse works perfectly fine and it's only that the keyboard isn't working for some things? What keys does EOF respond to (ie. arrow keys, tab, spacebar, page up/down, number keys, alphabetical keys, etc)? If you open a dialog such as "edit pro guitar note", can you enter any text ino the fret number fields, the name field, etc? If you ALT+Tab to have EOF leave and re-enter the foreground, do keys work again? When you press keys, does the bottom line of the information panel (which shows CTRL, ALT and SHIFT key states, the key code and the ASCII code for keypresses) display anything? What keyboard layout (if not US English) are you using?