Creating tabs from text files

lduperval

Question

Hi,

This is tangentially related to EoF. I use TuxGuitar to do my tabbing. I want to take some text tabs and either load them in TuxGuitar to generate Gp5 files, or generate gp5 files directly.

Does anyone know a tool that can do that? Barring this, does anyone know where the gp5 format or TuxGuitar format is documented?

Thanks,

L

5 answers to this question

TuxGuitar is open source, and I used it to help figure out the GP5 format. I've made more of a formal file specification for that format:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raynebc/editor-on-fire/master/Guitar%20Pro%205.10%20format.txt

Guitar Pro can import ASCII (text) guitar tab, but your results are going to be quite variable. It might be easier to manually author into a tab program or EOF just using the text file as a reference.

You are going to want to punch computer screens when tabbing things manually, unless you are a GP tabbing pro (which I doubt as you would not have asked that question).

Before actually hitting the screen, breathe deeply, relax, and ask directed questions on here :lol:

And remember - copy and paste is your friend :D

I started trying to enter everything in TuxGuitar (don't have GP)... yeah, after thirty minutes, 3 bars done and they don't even sound right...

So lemme ask, is ther an easier way to enter notes? I don't have a MIDI keyboard, but I have a bass. Is there software that will record the notes I play and put them in a tab?

L

If you've used and gotten used to an actual program (GP or Tux) then you might as well do it straight into EoF.  At least that way you know the notes are being "played" when they should.

You will need to beat map it first though.  That might be easy or hard depending on the song.