Are all Rocksmith 2014 PC "versions" the same?

Ezzywave

Question

Hello all, new guy here.

I did a search for what is probably a stupid question, but I can't find an answer.  

I have been "playing" RS2014 for a couple years on PS3.  I want to buy it for my PC for the custom songs that are available, which btw, I would also buy if they were available.

So, will all the Rocksmith 2014 PC "versions" work for custom songs?  Meaning should I buy the

1 Disk

2 Steam

Rocksmith 2014 PC/MAC Game Only- Digital Code        Amazon $14.99

Thank you

9 answers to this question

Yes, you'll have to redeem the disc version on Steam anyway (with the option of logging to UPlay during gameplay) anyway. Since the game is also a SteamPlay game, you might be occasionally able to find the "Mac version" a bit cheaper, yet being the exact same game when redeemed on Steam.

And since they're all practically the same version, the CDLC will work on them all.

Your ps3 cable will work fine on pc (I use a ps3 cable as my second cable for multiplayer) so just buy the game on its own.  Sometimes Steam has sales in which it will be dirt cheap, but I reckon go for the Amazon one for $15.

You just install Steam on your pc and find the option to "Redeem Voucher" or "Redeem Code" ( forget what its called).

It'll be the best $15 dollars you've spent :D

Also, once you have it installed in Steam, go to the Steam store and buy the dlc of Cherub Rock - you need at least one official dlc to make customs work and just forking out for this one will save you a tonne of hassle in the long run as 99% of customs use it's id.

And remember to read the FAQs and Tutorials on here on how to get CDLCs working!

• Like 1

• Administrator

RS1 use .dat files and RS2014 use .psarc file so no, you won't find any CDLC for RS1 here and i think most sources for .dat file is pretty dead now.

RS2014 will be 50% off during steam winter sale so you will be better waiting a bit and buying it then as 2014 version is way better in so many ways that it's hard to list it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

sorry for being a complete nub

As firekorn says it will be cheaper soon.

I'd like to suggest that you do not go crazy, downloading everything you see from here.  There is no panic!!!!!

Download a few tunes and get used to playing RS charts.  You are just gonna piss yourself off trying to play complex RS charts without the necessary experience.  Give yourself 100 hours playing time before expecting greatness.  Grind some hours on the songs you really love, and enjoy.

• Like 1

Yeah you can become pretty dependent on having a chart in front of you.  There are, of course, ways to learn "real life" guitar from RS but you need discipline i.e. play the songs in master mode, play without looking at the screen, play while staring at your fretboard.

I find the last one to be the best for me.  When you play in RS songs in RL you will be looking at your fretboard thinking wtf where do I start this solo, so learn the song while looking at your fretboard.  Stick on riff repeater and play the solo over and over (or parts of the solo, as required) while only looking at your fretboard.

It's like learning to sing a song in a way.  As long as you know the first word of a line, you can remember the line.  So just remember the starting point (fret/string) of each phrase of the solo, and the rest falls into place.

Takes discipline and practice, but when you hit the jam room with mates and the big solo comes and they all look at you...  you will thank fk you took the time to learn the solo without a chart in your eyes :D

Or at least enough to make it sound a bit like the solo :lol: