Chord sustains even though not charted with sustains. Sorta-answered, but I have suggestions.

bob64

Lots of discussion in this thread, but I'll try to cover the important points:

It's not a preference, it's how it should be played. Seeing that handshapes ARE sustains, importing chords after a rest as low density chords ignores that rest. That messes up the rhythm.

I don't know if official Rocksmith charts always make such a distinction between two repeat chords when there's a short rest between them. As an author you have the option to explicitly use the "sustain" status on a chord to make the chart display tails for the notes in the chord and it will be obvious how long each chord in a handshape is to be played. If you want a separate handshape it's as easy as putting the crazy status on that next chord, or manually marking handshape sections.

As far as i know Ubi notetrackers dont author rests, if i remember correctly they argued that it could clutter the screen and that the guitarrist would know after a few plays when to rest by themselfs. I dont agree with it, i always put a crazy when a rest is needed and when there is a sustain on a chord that i want to highlight i use as you said a sustain status on it.

about sustain cuts in EOF, i always cut sustain from chords and notes. Its usually 1/16 or 1/12 that i cut but it varies depending on the BPM of the song and the distance of the notes to each other. I feel that the result is always clearner and looks that way more professional. Slides, bends and other special cases are a different story. You just need as a notetracker enough experience to know when to use what.

• Administrator

I'll admit that i would like to have that option during import to have the crazy status automatically applied to chords after a rest even if Ubi notetracker don't always do it because in most of the case (from what i've seen) they do it anyway and in some rare case they prefer to rely on the user ear. But right now in customs you have first to rely on your ear and if the charter did a good work you can rely mostly on the chart which is frustrating sometimes.

That's just my 2 cents about it and i'll admit that in the end it's not really the big thing that will completely changed the way i work in EOF but it would still be nice to have this possibility.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

But right now in customs you have first to rely on your ear and if the charter did a good work you can rely mostly on the chart which is frustrating sometimes.

Thats because a lot of charters just slap the gp tab into EOF and call it finished. If someone is not able to place with his own ear a simple thing like a rest then i have doubts that the custom will have a good quality. Im dont want to even think about tab errors in such a custom.

Nice find rockfirstlast.

I do think we might have skipped over my UI display suggestion: http://i.imgur.com/5ElEMSy.png

Regarding previewing the sustains based on the crazy status?

For example I have a chord and a repeat chord not marked as crazy. I'd like for eof to show the sustain lines, possibly faded/or a distinct color representing that they've been automatically added in the 2d/3d view, between those two chords.

With that UI improvement, if the user manually tries to reduce the length of the sustain, what if you had a dialog box popup saying something along the lines of: "reducing the sustain of this chord will force crazy status on the following chord to make this possible", which change the sustain lines to normal colored lines and enables crazy on the following chord.

I'm not sure, I'd have to how easy Allegro makes transparency. It would be easy to see what chord a repeat was by reviewing the editor window, but I suppose this wouldn't be visible if the 3D preview was being rendered as the entire program window. I don't plan on making absolutely ANY addition of space between two duplicate chords automatically forcing the second to become a low density one, this was just going to be a GP import preference.

Not sure what you mean by addition of space. I was referring to the sustain.

For example, If i was transcribing a piece of sheetmusic/tab directly from paper into eof. I add one chord and three beats later, the same chord. Eof currently automatically makes the latter a repeat chord. I'd like it to automatically add sustain lines between the two, since that's how it appears ingame. If i had chords that spanned 10 seconds apart or whatever, i'd have to do a great deal of scrolling/zoom adjustment in order to see if the latter chord was marked correctly if it was even the same chord. If i select the first chord and use the mousewheel to reduce the sustain line, I want it to automatically make the second chord crazy. If people are fine with the sustain/handshape/repeat indicator, they do nothing and eof functions as it currently does.

I don't think there would be a case where anyone would prefer eof to NOT mark it crazy if you didn't want a full sustain to the next chord.

The above applies regardless if you truncate chords or leave in the sustain, after all, eof currently ignores chord sustain unless crazy is enabled on the following chord.

What I mean is that if a chord's tail extends all the way to the next chord and you shorten that tail, you are introducing space (ie. a rest note) between the two chords. At this time I don't intend to automatically have EOF add crazy status just by altering note lengths after GP import.

I am curious as to why you are seemingly against it, if you feel like indulging me to your reasoning.

Also, previewing the sustains based on the crazy status doesn't have to be transparent, a darker/lighter shade can just as easily perform the same function of indicating that a chord will sustain ingame. If you manage to add it in, then I think the most intuitive thing for charters to do when trying to shorten the preview, would be to use the scrollwheel and attempt to reduce the sustain, which doesn't do anything unless crazy is enabled... I guess I'm just thinking ahead.

Anyway, I'm just trying to make EOF better, so I hope you don't take any offense from my suggestions.

For most chart alterations, I prefer them to be deliberate instead of just a side-effect of doing something else. It also makes the main editor logic more complicated, and it has tons of code already.

I suppose this crazy status logic could be made to apply to all of EOF instead of GP import, but I think it may be kind of overkill for it to be individuall available for both.

After some thought, I'm leaning toward making it a global preference. It would be easy for people to turn that preference on before a GP import and turn it off again if they wanted.

What do you want to implement? That if the sustain touches the next chords its a repeat but if there is a gap between the sustain and the next chord that next chord will get a crazy status on it?

Pretty much, but it won't explicitly check to see if the chords run up to each other. When I add the user-customizable threshold distance for automatic repeat lines (putting repeated chords in the same hand shape), authors can just lower that value to get that result. Based on what somebody said earlier, I looked at that threshold logic again and fixed it to use the distance between the end of a chord and the start of the next instead of the start of those two chords.

• Like 1