Video for GP import and sync would be very appreciated!!!

kdogg788

Question

Hi everyone, as you may know I have been working on a few songs with my little free time and have been doing most of my charting manually due to issues with GP sync. I've been told changing the tempo and beat markers is the way to go but this results in the sync being further off. The original tutorial dealt with manual entry and not GP. If anyone could make up a video tutorial using and syncing GP it not only would be greatly appreciated, but I can almost guarantee you that the number of submissions to the forum would increase, certainly from myself. I have four songs in progress that are on hold due to sync issues. Thank you so much in advance,

-k

21 answers to this question

I've been setting the BPM according to the tutorial using the Ultrastar Creator BPM and divide by 2.  For my first song it was right on, and I figured it would always work, but for every other one, it goes out of time, and I have a super hard time fixing it.  That's why I figured a tutorial would be the best way for me to learn how this is done. I've asked in chat for some tips but moving beat markers seems to make it worse.

-k

I've asked in chat for some tips but moving beat markers seems to make it worse.

It depends on how you're moving the beat markers :)In many cases, the BPM designation that you'll get from something like UltraStar (or even a songbook) only serves as an approximation. This will get you in the ballpark, but unless the recording engineer has used some software trickery to eliminate tempo fluctuation, you're going to have to make manual adjustments. Probably every 1-2 measures, at least in my experience.The easiest way to do this is to only move the first beat of the measure, if at all possible. 99% of the time, you'll never need to worry about the other beats unless the song purposely changes tempo in the middle of a measure.If you hit F5, you'll see a waveform display of the audio file. This is extremely helpful. If you look at it closely, you'll notice patterns (most of the time) in the wavegraph which will help guide you as to where to drag the beats. Also, make sure you have grid snap enabled. It's your best friend.Hopefully this will help you get started in the absence of a video tutorial.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

I would advise against manual sync in EOF, its prone to errors and very frustrating. As was already mentioned, you don't need to care about tempo in tab if you use GPA. Have a look at tutorial for my workflow.

In my experience, it's exactly the opposite. It was only frustrating for me when (it turned out) I didn't know what I was doing. Honestly, I just don't think there's a comprehensive video tutorial involving EoF. The ones that are out there, frankly, are only enabling people to make 2nd rate CDLCs and they don't teach them how to take full advantage of what EoF provides.I'll get off my soapbox now :)

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

In my experience, it's exactly the opposite. It was only frustrating for me when (it turned out) I didn't know what I was doing. Honestly, I just don't think there's a comprehensive video tutorial involving EoF. The ones that are out there, frankly, are only enabling people to make 2nd rate CDLCs and they don't teach them how to take full advantage of what EoF provides.I'll get off my soapbox now :)

And what will you do if you discover you have error in tab, cutting and pasting riffs all over the song in EoF?  No, thank you.

And what will you do if you discover you have error in tab, cutting and pasting riffs all over the song in EoF?  No, thank you.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. If you didn't catch my intention, I was saying that people often slip up because they can't get around EoFs learning curve. And that the perceived learning curve is largely due to the fact that there aren't enough educational resources available.I wasn't trying to attack GoPlayAlong or yourself, if that's what you were thinking.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. If you didn't catch my intention, I was saying that people often slip up because they can't get around EoFs learning curve. And that the perceived learning curve is largely due to the fact that there aren't enough educational resources available.I wasn't trying to attack GoPlayAlong or yourself, if that's what you were thinking.

No, we're just discussing. I'm just stating some of the downsides of doing manual edits in EoF. It is a total dealbreaker for me, maybe not for you, but everyone should be aware of it and do the educated choice before he invests a lot of time into creating DLC.
  • Like 1

Personally, I use GP5 to tab, and just export, and do the needed work in EoF (Syncing, and various techniques like trills, etc). It's kind of easy to fix an error if you keep a GP5 file only for EoF, as long as your GP5 file is accurate.

My CDLC Workshop

Feedback is always appreciated! :)

I'm not necessarily convinced that editing in GPA would be easier IF you're well versed in EoF's keyboard shortcuts and capabilities. But I can see how it'd be helpful for some people.I must admit, I've only had a few minutes of hands-on time with GPA. I found it to be helpful, but I guess not enough to spend the $20 in order to do everything there. I would most likely just end up doing minor tweaks in EoF no matter what.

I find editing on EOF's piano-roll much more intuitive than fighting with Gpro's notation. Does GoPlayAlong have a piano-roll editor?I just finished syncing my first track, so I'm still very new at this. It took me a couple of days to get used to EOF's interface -- it's still a work in progress, but it's pretty impressive for what it's able to do already.One thing I discovered is that it really helps to have a properly prepared .mp3. I was working with an unpacked .DAT -- but the original audio has a bit of silence at the beginning of the trac, and this screwed up the sync. I decided to use my own higher-quality audio file, preparing it in an editor, getting rid of the silence at the beginning and normalizing the track (it's an old song, so it's level was quite low).After that, syncing the beats was really easy -- just time-consuming. I like that EOF automatically anchors beats when you move them -- and I made sure to anchor beats I didn't have to move too. I also locked the beat-map before importing the .Dat's .xml file.

The rest of day was spent resyncing THAT, since it had been charted for a beatmap prepared for the old audio file (and wasn't well synced to begin with).I had to do a lot of cleaning up of the chart -- there were a lot of wrong notes. This was pretty easy -- again, time-consuming. Partly because I can't quite get used to the left-click to select, right-click to select weirdness of the interface. And I wish I could just right-click to call up the fret numbers for notes. Fortunately I didn't have to cut and paste, because I don't want to have to try to do that with EOF in its current stage of evolution.

GPA is not for editing. Anyway, if I don't need to fix tab, I make DLC in about an hour from start to end, riff repeater included. I have nothing more to say.

Ah, okay, I thought it was a tab editor.

I wish I could find tab that doesn't need fixing! Many of the GPro files I've looked at have been, shall we say, very creative...

GPA is not for editing. Anyway, if I don't need to fix tab, I make DLC in about an hour from start to end, riff repeater included. I have nothing more to say.

This is also possible with EoF. Syncing is the easy part. Applying the proper techniques and fixing the tab is what takes time.

This is also possible with EoF. Syncing is the easy part. Applying the proper techniques and fixing the tab is what takes time.

I don't want to sound that I'm trying to convince anyone, I couldn't care less what others do but I'm going to post this anyway. It's just my conclusion by weighting pros and cons, a helpful advice from me.

If you learn EOF well and don't mind it's quirks, you will be able to do sync in roughly the same time, it comes down to details.  I'm only against editing tab in EOF

I have to add that GPA works better with this approach and it has some unrelated upsides - I can play the song right there if I want to or while the package is not done yet or when I decide that parts or the tab are so bad that it is not worth continuing.

But to get back, If anyone (like I do) finds Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar to be vastly superior for editing musical notation then it should be known that you can get the same initial sync done without EOF, that's why I won't ever edit in EOF - I like the UI, I like having master tab, I like hearing the tab (all tracks at once), I like how it's easier to see changes in GPA (I try to sync and fix minor errors at the same time so it's very convenient, even more so if I would have two displays available).

Also without a doubt it will be easier for someone to enter the custom creation process this way, EOF is major turn off for someone who doesn't even know anything yet.  And even if you later decide to abandon master tab, you can just do that.  It's not possible the other way so it's the safe choice.

I definitely see your point -- it WOULD be nice to hear the changes I make directly in EOF.

And I find note entry in EOF kind of frustrating -- it would be so much easier if I could right click and enter the notes I want without having to take my hand off the mouse.

But I'm turned off by GPro's notation. I find it much easier to work with a grid (I do understand music theory, but still, writing tab doesn't need the complexity of notation most of the time).

I still haven't looked at Tuxguitar yet... one new program at a time, thanks! And if I'd still have to import that file to GoPlayalong and still have to export that AGAIN to EOF... not thanks... that's just not efficient at all.

I think EOF has excellent potential for becoming a SINGLE tool for developing Rocksmith customs. In fact, it'd be nice if it focused more on Rocksmith and less on the older, outdated games it was originally designed for.

And if I'd still have to import that file to GoPlayalong and still have to export that AGAIN to EOF... not thanks... that's just not efficient at all.

I think EOF has excellent potential for becoming a SINGLE tool for developing Rocksmith customs. In fact, it'd be nice if it focused more on Rocksmith and less on the older, outdated games it was originally designed for.

You don't need to reimport to GPA, you just need to reopen song and notes will be read from updated GP file.  So basically if you don't screw up you need do the sync import into EOF only once and then just reimport GP if needed, I don't touch EOF until I'm done and ready to make a package.

EOF supports a lot of stuff that can't be applied to GP tab but unfortunately its UI will be always very limiting.  It's basically too good to start from scratch.

I'm wishing that some Java wizard would try to implement direct RS support to TuxGuitar and I can definitely imagine it not to be overly complex with so much already available (reimplement export to RS XML with GPA sync points applied and a way to overlay information for additional RS features -- per track phrase/sections, more techniques, basically some notation for things you need to do in EOF).  But I'm not a Java programmer in the first place... (I would be willing to contribute knowledge, ideas for solutions and some code to such project though.)

I always use Sonic Visualiser with some plugin to analyze the guitar.ogg file and export to tempo/beat file. It works every time and takes about a minute.

There was a little tutorial "I think" in the EOF thread on the old forum. Was it raynebc who wrote about it?

My memory isn't the best right now and I don't have that computer with me, but maybe I can do a quick video this weekend if it helps others get the notes in sync.

I definitely see your point -- it WOULD be nice to hear the changes I make directly in EOF.

Although it's not the same thing as how Guitar Pro automatically plays a synthesized version of notes each time you alter them, if you have MIDI tones enabled, you can click on a note and EOF will play it through your configured MIDI device.

And I find note entry in EOF kind of frustrating -- it would be so much easier if I could right click and enter the notes I want without having to take my hand off the mouse.

The next hotfix will allow you to middle click to launch the edit pro guitar dialog. 

I have no desire to abandon all of the other supported rhythm games, but even if I did, EOF almost certainly couldn't become the only tool needed/wanted by every author. It's not feasible to make EOF do everything the best compared to supplemental programs (ie. digital audio manipulation, MIDI synthesizing, etc), so I like to focus on what I can make it do well.

EOF supports a lot of stuff that can't be applied to GP tab but unfortunately its UI will be always very limiting. It's basically too good to start from scratch.

Some day down the line when EOF is ported to Allegro 5, more possibilities will open up. For now, there's not much that can be done.

I always use Sonic Visualiser with some plugin to analyze the guitar.ogg file and export to tempo/beat file. It works every time and takes about a minute.There was a little tutorial "I think" in the EOF thread on the old forum. Was it raynebc who wrote about it?

The latest release candidate (RC9) has added instructions in the regular tutorial (Help>Tutorial) that describe how to use Sonic Visualiser to automated beat syncing. It's not exhaustive but it should get people started enough to see if they like the feature. If you know any other tricks to improve the accuracy of Sonic Visualiser's results, let me know and I can add them.

The latest release candidate (RC9) has added instructions in the regular tutorial (Help>Tutorial) that describe how to use Sonic Visualiser to automated beat syncing. It's not exhaustive but it should get people started enough to see if they like the feature. If you know any other tricks to improve the accuracy of Sonic Visualiser's results, let me know and I can add them.

No tricks at all, but you need a good gp file and sometimes test different ones. And there will be errors and I haven't found a 100% correct gp-file yet, but it-s easier to fix wrong notes and missing sections when the notes are in sync.