Your "Mt. Rushmore" of guitar players?

AtGame7

Question

I like this topic more than just knowing who your favorite is because it let's us see some diversity in your appreciation for guitar players.  Also, this just isn't your top four favorites, it should be who you view as the four best, the innovators, the masters, the legends.

For example, my personal favorite is Slash, but I know he doesn't make the "Mt. Rushmore" list.  I would give him an honorable mention because despite him and Axl being nitwits and ruining one of the all time great bands, he is an incredible talent.

Atop my Mt. Rushmore in no particular order:

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Eddie Van Halen

Picking just four is no easy task, leaving off names like Beck, Clapton and even Les Paul seems wrong, but that's my list. 

Yours?

Well...

As much as people are very eager to write in their favorite guitar players in this thread...  :lol:

(Yup, we're all entitled to our own opinions)

I live in the Rushmore state.

Mt. Rushmore is Gutzon Borglum's memorial to those early presidents that made a difference in the beginnings of the US.

So working on that "theme"....  ;)

Les Paul - Early pioneer in the creation of the solid body electric guitar.  Without his contribution, and early recorded music with wife Mary Ford, we wouldn't HAVE the instrument or the sound.

Robert Johnson  - There are only 29 known recorded songs of his brief legacy.  However Robert Leroy Johnson's music is THE beginning of blues and rock music.  All of the branches of the Rock family tree lead directly back to him.  Died at age 27.

Chuck Berry - Early Rock and Roll pioneer. That signature sound and riffs that are still being copied to this day.  One of the reasons he was among the first inductees into the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame".

Jimi Hendrix - Most influential electric guitarist in the history of Rock music.  Enough said.  Died at age 27.

No offense, but everyone else owes everything back to these four guys. 

Even my favorite guitar player, Stevie Ray Vaughn. 

That's my opinion anyway for what it's worth. :)

• Like 2

"This is a slippery slope, a Bass is a 'gateway' instrument." - Portlandia  S4E4
       Own a Guitar, but not a Bass?  Use Rocksmith's Bass Emulator Mode to get low & funky today!   

Sorry to go slightly off topic here...

I'll go with ...

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

LOL, boy any suggestions of adding him to the rock face of "The Six Grandfathers" usually stirs up a hornet's nest.

But I agree, I have always felt we should cough up the money and put him up there with the four others, based on him lifting the country out of a very dark time, politics and life aside, like Lincoln.

• Like 1

"This is a slippery slope, a Bass is a 'gateway' instrument." - Portlandia  S4E4
       Own a Guitar, but not a Bass?  Use Rocksmith's Bass Emulator Mode to get low & funky today!   

In no particular order

Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young

B.B.King
Chuck Berry

Special mention - Slash

Have to have B.B.King in there, my first choice for the blues, Chuck Berry for the 'Rock Revolution', Hendrix.... please, I don't need a reason, just Hendrix ;) , Angus Young, now he's a hard one, but the way he plays (and acts) on stage is pretty unique.

tris

Yardbirds' Jimmy Page
'69 Jimmy Page
'73 Jimmy Page
'75 Jimmy Page

But aside from the laughs here are the real 4 (in no particular order):
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix

Honorable mention: Gary Moore

• Like 1

There are just too many. I would have to do it by genre..... In no particular order

Rock

EVH

Jimmy Page

Joe Perry

Blues

Robben Ford

Buddy Guy

EC

Jazz

Pat Metheney

Al DiMeola

Paco De Luca

.............................................. the fourth, Why me of course..... if and when I actually lean to play!

Jimmy Hendrix by far the Greatest Ever   Jimmy Page Genius.   Stevie Ray Vaughn and the greatest songwriter, Guitar player Punk ass old Man Pete Townshend ... FIrst mention   REAlly MAn has written like 50 years of greatest Rock n Roll Tommy, Live and Leeds, WHO's Next, Quadrophenia, Late 60 and early 70 greatest LIve act to see. and of course my Best Ass KIcking member of the Who and friend Simon Townshend   I am very bias  lol 

1. Chris DeGarmo (Queensryche)

2. George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob)

3. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

4. Gary Moore (solo career)

5. Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow)

5. Ritchie Sambora (Bon Jovi)

6. Steve Morse (Deep Purple)

7. Mick Jones (Foreigner)

8. John Norum (Europe)

9. Joe Bonamassa (solo career)

10. Ken Hammer (Pretty Maids)

11. Matthew Bellamy (Muse)

12. Synyster Gates (Doesn't matter if you dont like avenged sevenfold, synyster gates is a great guitarist even by himself)

Lots more, but these are my go-to favourite guitarists.

My CDLC ! 

I usually release about 2 CDLC a month, because I like to take my time and make them as good as I can for the benefit of everyone interested in them ;)