Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

@@raynebc

Sometimes I have weird problem with FHPs. After certain beatmap alterations notes and beat markers can move to two different positions, but occasionally note, beat marker and FHP are left in three different positions. I think it only happens to FHPs that were manually placed with Shift-F. So can you please confirm this:
 - manually added FHPs stored with same precision as auto generated
 - Shift+PG Up/Donw puts you in accurate enough position for FHP to have same position as auto-generated

• Administrator

Well i would first make sure that you don't move the curser onto the piano roll when you adjust beat cause this will cause note and probably other element to not move accordingly.

You can also check that you have the Auto Adjust FHP activated in your preferences to make sure they snap into place properly.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Yes, I'm moving beats very carefully, but you can also sometimes lose note-beat sync with adding/removing beats or using BPM change function.

And auto-adjust FHP/Sections does nothing if FHP and note not in exactly same position which is the problem here.

Maybe function to grid snap all FHPs could fix the problem.

It fixed the problem, thank you. Also while I was trying to play with bpm changes I noticed that eof now will only highlight non grid snapped notes on current track (this is in 7-26-18 in older versions all tracks were immediately highlighted if notes became unsnapped)

No, I meant that this is not new thing in beta, but I only first time noticed this now (I've not used eof often since last year). And those note-beat sync issues are very random and hard to reproduce, sometimes I will make some changes to project, hit space to play and only when I hit space again to stop - boom all went cyan. I do like to make changes to my projects back and forth and resaving them often so maybe it has something to do with it.

So the issue you're describing is that EOF is not highlighting non-grid snapped notes in tracks other than the active track? What are you checking to determine this (ie. using the secondary piano roll)?

If notes lost grid snap when playing and stopping playback, something unexpected happened and you can try using undo once to see if the notes move back. The note highlighting is updated after pretty much any edit to the chart.

If you or anybody can reproduce a scenario where a note can lose grid snap simply by opening a project and moving one beat (or setting a specific tempo on a beat), please send me the project file and details. Of course, this is only a bug if you have the note auto-adjust preference enabled. If anything, I'd expect this is more likely to happen for notes that were placed with a custom grid snap instead of one of the built-in grid snaps.

So the issue you're describing is that EOF is not highlighting non-grid snapped notes in tracks other than the active track? What are you checking to determine this (ie. using the secondary piano roll)?

Yes. I had two guitar tracks on two piano rolls open, and only the top one become highlighted I switched to bass and it was not highlighted either. I zoomed in to check and notes on all three tracks definitely lost grid snapped positions

If you or anybody can reproduce a scenario where a note can lose grid snap simply by opening a project and moving one beat (or setting a specific tempo on a beat), please send me the project file and details. Of course, this is only a bug if you have the note auto-adjust preference enabled. If anything, I'd expect this is more likely to happen for notes that were placed with a custom grid snap instead of one of the built-in grid snaps.

I don't think this happened to me since this update. Now that I think about it its possible that only two cases for me where notes lost grid snap since then is either after stopping playback (which I can't explain) or after moving beat markers on project last saved before that update.

But I definitely had problem with custom edited FHPs after moving beat markers on a new project even though notes never lost their grid snapped positions.

Aaargh! I think eof just hates me, and I can break grid snap just by looking at it wrong(but now I don't have to readd every FHP, so thank you again for this beta). I probably wont have more time for now to play with eof so this is the last thing I got. Here is the project. You can break grid snap by setting bpm to 200 at any measure past like 20-30. I've not managed to reproduce bug described above, but if you have only one piano roll and notes lost grid snap off the screen (set bpm to 200 at measure 73 or 190) current track difficulty wont be highlighted so you can even not notice that everything just lost grid snap. Also apparently you can break grid snap just by opening properties(F9) and hitting ok. This all tested in 080907beta.

I'll look at it some more, but it seems likely that the tempo map timing is just so particular that math rounding errors occur. Allowing one manipulation to cause the problem and then using "Track>Repair grid snap" on each track to fix the sync may permanently resolve the issue. I'll see if there's much I can do to have them resnap automatically in such a scenario.

This beat timing recalculation was also what was happening when opening Song Properties and clicking OK. I can't think of any reason why this should be done merely by opening and closing the song properties by clicking OK, so I'll remove that.

Not sure if this has been pointed out before but some notes aren't exporting to MIDI properly; I don't know how to describe it so here are some screenshots:

eof_130818-01.png eof_130818-02.png

Maybe it's related to the timing rounding errors? I could PM you the project file if you need it.

I'd probably need the EOF project file and the MIDI file to examine. I doubt EOF is combining multiple notes into one note, but if there was something like a note stopping and starting again at the same timestamp, the MIDI editor you use may draw it like it's one single note even though it isn't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Developer

*Added some RS2 export logic to allow a chord's handshape to extend over the single notes created from a repeated chord due to split or linknext status.

It doesn't make sense to extend the handshape with slides such as this:

rTM385n.png

The handshape is also incorrectly extended when an unrelated split chord follows a chord, e.g.:

UTOJinF.png

I would love if handshapes in the game slid frets parallel to their sliding notes to emphasize a continuous handshape is recommended ...

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Administrator

@@Berneer you don't need moving handshapes to have the finger moving along the slides in very nice manner, the fingering will automatically slide from one chord to another, it's just a matter of marking the handshape and fingering properly.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

It doesn't make sense to extend the handshape with slides such as this:

The handshape is also incorrectly extended when an unrelated split chord follows a chord, e.g.:

Just to make sure we're looking at the same thing, could you send me a project file to test with? There may be special circumstances for either problem.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Fixed a bug with new Feedback import automatic resnap logic that could prevent notes from importing correctly if they occur after the last tempo change or text event.

*Improved Feedback import to process toggle HOPO and slider markers at the end of each track difficulty's import, reducing the likelihood that long charts with these features will exceed EOF's track note limit and have some of the chart content skipped. If there are too many notes to import from a Feedback chart, EOF will now explicitly warn about this.

*Improved the performance of the secondary piano roll by removing unneeded processing that would cause noticeable lag for charts with many notes and phrases.

*Fixed a bug where lyric line overdrive was saved to the project file, but wasn't applied when the project is loaded.

*Fixed a bug with Feedback import where slider phrases wouldn't correctly combine consecutive slider notes into one phrase if the track has multiple difficulties of notes defined.

*Fixed a bug where using the up/down arrow keys to seek while Feedback input mode is in use would cause the selected lyric's tone to play back even though no transpose occurred.

*Improved the auto-adjust logic for clicking and dragging beat markers to resnap sections and fret hand positions appropriately. This should keep notes and sections/FHPs better synced when changing beat tempos.

*Changed MIDI export logic so that HOPO phrases are written with a length of 1 delta tick instead of 0 ticks if the note has crazy status. This should allow overlapping notes with opposing HOPO statuses without causing issues where notes can get combined during export if the minimum distance between notes is set to 0ms.

*Fixed a bug with MIDI import where the presence of GHL open notes could cause notes to be given a longer sustain than they should have.

*Updated the "Beat>BPM Change" function to update highlighting immediately in case notes lose grid snap, and changed its logic to prevent notes from losing grid snap due to math rounding errors as beat marker timings are recalculated.

*Changed the beat click and drag logic to process the entire chart's content instead of just the beats that are directly affected, to ensure notes won't lose grid snap unexpectedly due to math errors as beat marker timings are recalculated.

*Improved the paste logic so that if copying and pasting lyrics within the same EOF session, and the copied lyrics are in a lyric line, the pasted lyrics have lines marked accordingly.

*Improved the normal save function to restore the active track and seek position if all presented warning prompts to cancel the save are declined.

*Fixed a bug where "Track>Clone>From clipboard" would fail if the cloned track had any lyric lines.

*Added functions to search and replace lyric text (Note>Lyrics>Search and replace) and note names (Note>Name>Search and replace). If the "Match case" option is checked, instances of lyrics/notes are changed if they match the exact upper/lower case for each letter (case sensitive). If the "Retain first letter capitalization" option is checked, the first letter of the replacement text is changed to either upper or lower case to match the instance being replaced (this is so you don't have to worry about capitalization differences for the first letter of the first word in a sentence). If a specific note/lyric was selected by mouse click before search and replace is used, that note's/lyric's text is automatically entered as the text to replace.

• Like 3

@@Berneer you don't need moving handshapes to have the finger moving along the slides in very nice manner, the fingering will automatically slide from one chord to another, it's just a matter of marking the handshape and fingering properly.

Yes, you are right. I just would find it slick if the game had that nice visual effect. That’s all I meant.

Cheers, I’ve been away but not far away... :) Miss you guys!

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Developer

Just to make sure we're looking at the same thing, could you send me a project file to test with? There may be special circumstances for either problem.

Here, although there's nothing special in it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wqEb5GnWk66v80yUrxkRX-o_5KNctDXt

At 02:13 in the lead arrangement there is a split double stop which causes the previous handshape to be extended to cover it.

• 2 weeks later...

The per-tuning preferred chord fingerings may be doable, but the FHP generation logic is really complex and making changes to it is difficult. Manually setting the fingering for the double stops in question (you can do this one at a time or several at once if you use "Select Like") may improve the auto-generated FHPs, but you may still want to make manual adjustments in some cases.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (9-13-2018) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Fixed a bug with recent Feedback import changes that could cause forced strum notes to import as forced HOPO notes.

*Corrected RS1 export to not write "disparity", "ignore" and "solo" attributes for phrases.

*Greatly improved the "Imports drop mid beat tempos" import preference to remove or combine mid beat tempo changes only where it results in a beat being a normal tempo (ie. within 15% of the length of the last complete beat).

*Added a "Render mid beat tempos blue" import preference that, if enabled during Feedback or MIDI import, will keep track of which beats were inserted due to mid beat tempo changes. It will also change the color of anchor markers (the down arrow above the beta line) to blue to make it easy to tell where these beats are.

*Added the ability to author "Disjointed chords" for button guitar/keys tracks, allowing different gems in a chord to have different lengths, for use in Clone Hero. This status can be added/removed by using the functions in the "Note>Clone Hero>Disjointed" menu. Notes that have this status will have the letter D display beneath them in the piano roll, and they will also gain crazy status as a side effect. Feedback and MIDI imports should add disjointed status where appropriate, and MIDI export will write each gem of a disjointed chord with its appropriate length.

Project files that use disjointed status will not open in older builds of EOF, anybody sharing a .eof file between multiple computers will need to have them all update to this release of EOF.