What is the most underrated band(s)?

Liquidlizard

I feel like this is something that most people here could put their two cents in, and since I couldn't find a topic about this, I shall ask the question: What, in your opinion, is the most underrated band(s)?

Personally for me, I would have to go with:

- The Cult

- Tesla

- Shooting Star

I even searched Google for 'Most Underrated Bands Of the 80's', and the top 3 sites included 'The Cult'. 

• Like 3

This is a tricky one, as choosing a band that is underrated in the U.K. may very well be highly revered in another part of the globe. For me personally though, I'd say Sevendust ... They hit you right in the feels.

• Like 2

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

Underrated as in you think the band was better than people thought it was - or underrated as in it didn't get much airtime or media coverage? Most of the online polls seem to be about the latter..

Bands that never really hit the radio or mainstream, but should have. A band that you think should have received more attention. But bands that you think were better than what other people think could also fit in as well.

• Like 1

I always thought UFO doesn't get the recognition that it should.  To be honest, as a kid I didn't like their sound, but now I can't get enough of Schenker's rude, dirty sounding guitar.  Also, thought they were very good song writers, but you hardly ever hear them played on classic rock radio.  

Also a huge fan of Emmy, Tony, and Grammy award winning song writer Trey Parker:

http://youtu.be/P0xG6dA-Q58

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

blue oyster cult.

Being such a fan of dont fear the reaper made me discover this band a little deeper. Listend to 80% of their discography and I gotta say they are very unique. They got a really smooth/ laid back style packed with cool riffs that would make you \m/ throw the horns up!

Even though i didnt grow up in that era i think they are a tad bit under apprecitaed on a main stream level. If i could compare them to another band id say they are a deep purple that didnt make it as far.

Ive seen black sabbath, judas priest and deep purple live. I would love to have the chance to see these guys!

this riff gives me chills

In my mind, I get two possible candidates:

Machinae Supremacy. Easily the best Swedish metal band I've ever heard. Known for using SidStation-synthesizer in their music. Doesn't get any radio time here in Finland.

Authority Zero. One of the better punk bands I've heard (thanks Rock Band 2 and Tony Hawk's Underground). I haven't found anyone here, who actually listens to them.

Psst, also a little hint for charters. Any CDLC from these? Please? :3

I would say Wishbone Ash, is anybody aware this band produces great guitar songs since the 70ies up to 2014.

Thanks to Joe2112 for giving us three early songs.

Andy Powell is a great prolific artist

Listen to that instrumental only release : what a pleasure this would be to play that guitar and bass on RS

Edited by TomSawyer2112
  • Like 1

The Dictators - who could not love Handsome Dick Manatoba as a frontman

Sloppy Seconds - more hooks than your grand dads tackle box

The Ramones - the reason I started to play, and these days it makes me sad that 15 year old girls think it is a fashion label and not the second greatest band ever

• Like 2

Bands that fit into the symphonic metal genre such as Nightwish and Within Temptation.  I say this because it seems like I can't talk to anybody about these bands without getting a strange look because they've never heard of them.

NIghtwish is HUGE in Scandinavia, and Within Temptation is also a well known band here.

Bands that fit into the symphonic metal genre such as Nightwish and Within Temptation.  I say this because it seems like I can't talk to anybody about these bands without getting a strange look because they've never heard of them.

NIghtwish is HUGE in Scandinavia, and Within Temptation is also a well known band here.

Yeah but I wish these bands would be well known in America.  I honestly believe these bands could sell out 10,000 seat arenas over here but they end up playing in small venues.

I like a lot of different types of music, but Guttermouth would have to be one of my favorite bands that never made a hit in the mainstream, that i know of, but continue to tour to this day. Every time that I have gone to one of their shows, there was always a packed crowd that sang along with all of their songs. They probably didn't hit mainstream because they could be classified as offensive, but they are one of the best that have always been overlooked in my opinion. So, if their are people willing to make more customs of their song, it would be much appreciated.

Yeah but I wish these bands would be well known in America.  I honestly believe these bands could sell out 10,000 seat arenas over here but they end up playing in small venues.

Nightwish is also well known in Germany. The album Dark Passion was No. 1 in the Album-Charts.

I think alot of this has to do with when and where you were geographically during whatever scene was relevant. What may be another Saturday night in Denmark might be a once in a lifetime event for someone in the states. Also keep in mind that genre plays a big part here as well. Are we talking rock and roll or death metal? If the latter, then Death. Easily hands down was probably the most influential and unrecognized at the time period. I know looking back now the internet is full of stuff about them, but it wasn't anything like this back in the late 80's and early 90's before everyone had a puter. Where you did alot of reading fanzines and bar schedules, and word of mouth was everything.

• Like 1